Hosting Boxing Day...

(18 Posts)
ojbsmum Sat 07-Dec-13 23:18:43

We have recently found out my in-laws are coming to us for lunch on Boxing Day for the first time. We usually go to them and have a lovely time. I'm really happy we're going to be at home but a little worried about the food.
We are going to my folks on Christmas Day so won't have any leftovers to use up and I don't fancy spending too much time on Boxing Day preparing food.
Does anyone have any suggestions of food I can prepare in advance, will be a bit special and suitable for dairy free DS, FIL who is vegetarian and MIL who likes family get togethers as a time to eat lots of meat... (And we're on a fairly tight budget too)
Not too much to ask?!

Ooh - you and I have near-identical posts going on! Obviously I'm no help, as I'm asking a similar question. Let's hope someone else knows the answer.

Curry? Can be prepped days before & frozen

MoreThanChristmasCrackers Sat 07-Dec-13 23:26:17

Meat for mil is no problem really. could do cold meats like ham, beef, what about a veggie currie?
If we have family over its left over turkey, party type snacks, pies, pasties, cheese, salad, pizza etc.

Gavlaaa Sat 07-Dec-13 23:27:03

We always have a buffet if thats an option? Veggie chilli/curry (that can be prepared days before, rice, pizzas, party food, meat platters, cheese platters, etc.

Bedtime1 Sun 08-Dec-13 01:47:56

Yes a buffet. Which caters for all. I think m and s have some nice foods for entertaining but if your budget will not stretch. Buffet with perhaps vegetarian lasagne for fil, salad, cooked meats, cheese and biscuits, new potatoes, salmon if budget allows. Nice bread. The meat/ salmon, new pots will cover son. Meat and everything your mil, vegetarian lasagne FIL. Perhaps voluvents mushroom for FIL. Quiche catering for vegetarian.

Bedtime1 Sun 08-Dec-13 01:50:17

A dressed salmon would be lovely and special but could be too much. M and s have some great entertaining dishes which will be special and might not cost as much as you think.

Snog Sun 08-Dec-13 05:40:47

Iceland buffet?

Dilidali Sun 08-Dec-13 05:52:00

Soup and some salmon en croute? For FIL get one of those higgidy quiches. Some boiled potatoes, green beans/ asparagus etc.
bowl them over with some home made parsley butter.

Soup you can make in advance and freeze.
I am pretty sure you can assembly a salmon en croute and then freeze it in a tin foil tray, just pop in the oven?

A cheese board with no more than 3-4 cheeses, some simple water biscuits.

Port?

Strong coffee and mints?

Dilidali Sun 08-Dec-13 05:57:01

Oh, you know those small packs of flour, rosemary ad sun dried tomato type of things, just add water? Make some dough, roll into balls, freeze in a tray and you have fresh home made bread for the soup as well.

Cantdothisagain Sun 08-Dec-13 07:41:11

Chilli? A veggie one (Nigella does a good veggie chilli) and a meat one? With rice, sour cream, corn tortillas, homemade guacamole, nachos, tomato salsa? V easy and fun.

raisah Sun 08-Dec-13 07:46:25

Check out Morrisons they have a similar party buffet menu to M&S but not as pricey. You could buy a platter of meats already done so you dont need to cook a big joint. You could also roast some drumsticks in bbq sauce ( equal quantities tomato & worstershire)

Goodluck.

Morgause Sun 08-Dec-13 07:47:48

We always have a buffet and baked potatoes.

bakingaddict Sun 08-Dec-13 07:57:13

I would roast some beef and do a ploughman's lunch type thing served with quiche and some other nibbly bits. Shop around for the meat joints and see what deals the supermarket have. I got half price lamb and beef joints from Sainsbury's last week

I would do a stew. Coq au vin would be lovely, and could easily sit (actually improve) in the fridge from Xmas Eve. Or a Lancashire Hotpot with lamb (there's a great recipe on MN actually).

M&S have 3 for 2 on party nibbles at the mo. You could get some of the seafood ones and serve as a starter.

OR...could you persuade DPs to give you some of the leftovers and do the traditional buffet, supplementing with a pie and maybe some beef, salad etc?

ojbsmum Mon 09-Dec-13 22:01:06

Wow!
Only just managed to come back and am bowled over with all your wonderful suggestions.
Thank you.
I'll enjoy putting together a plan now, rather than dreading it!

ShoeWhore Mon 09-Dec-13 22:06:27

For the easiest option on the actual day, I would do something like lamb tagine I think (with a veggie option for fil - maybe a chickpea tagine?) with couscous and salad. The tagines could be made in advance and frozen.

I think this would be a lot less work than a buffet.

MERLYPUSS Tue 10-Dec-13 11:38:03

I would also go for curry. Do something like tandoori chicken for carnies and a couple a veggie side that would be ok for FIL. Most supermarkets do frozen parathas and they are delish. Long life nan breads are too pappy for me. Bhajis (hm are simple) and samosas with relshy dips. Job done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now