How do you decorate outside your house for Christmas?

(30 Posts)
ranoutofnames Sun 01-Dec-13 21:54:34

By us, it's like Blackpool illuminations but I haven't a clue where to start. How do you make your house look pretty??

NoComet Mon 02-Dec-13 07:58:14

White icicle lights along the road side and round the conservatory. Multi coloured lights in various trees. There's a tree in the conservatory that's far more visible to passers by than us.

And a star in the window, of course

We have a red berry wreath on the front door, twinkly lights in the bay tree and a nice lantern hanging from the porch/canopy over the door. Simple but pretty.

ranoutofnames Mon 02-Dec-13 11:35:04

I like the idea of simple and classy. Is it better to stick to white lights do you think?

NoComet Mon 02-Dec-13 15:56:13

We do white on the house and coloured on the trees.

We are a bit in the middle of nowhere, no street lights. If we had modern white leds on the end tree it would be very in drivers faces coming round the corner.

Snozwanger Mon 02-Dec-13 16:13:59

Ranout, I'm with you on the white theme. We have a string if white icicles along our garage and this year have added a single white snowflake inside our front window. The icicle was only £2.99 from B&M but looks really good. We'll add a real traditional wreath to the door next week grin

DeckTheHallsWithBonesAndSkully Mon 02-Dec-13 16:16:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LeonieDeSainteVire Mon 02-Dec-13 16:38:49

All white lights outside. Icicle lights along the garage and porch. Inside the porch more lights and white snowflakes all over the glass and the nativity set on display. Always gets positive comments smile I really want a lit up reindeer to add to the porch but think it may be veering away from tasteful then . . .

marzipanned Mon 02-Dec-13 16:45:30

This is a VERY stupid question but do you run an extension cord from an internal electricity supply? And how do you manage that without having a little gap in one of the windows? I really want to put up outside lights this year but have no idea which plug to use!

we feed the thin bit of wire from the lights through the window and plug them in inside. We are able to shut the window - it does compress the wire a bit but hasnt ever broken through the outer plastic cover of the wire

marzipanned Mon 02-Dec-13 17:00:56

Great, thanks powerhoop.

Rosvita Mon 02-Dec-13 17:27:39

Marzipanned glad you asked that as I have often wondered that question too!

Hulababy Mon 02-Dec-13 17:31:32

Only thing we have outside is the Santa stop here sign.

ranoutofnames Mon 02-Dec-13 18:26:02

Having been searching on the internet, you can buy battery lights so don't need mains. John lewis have some nice ones.

Rubybrazilianwax Mon 02-Dec-13 18:40:21

We have icicle lights along the eaves of the porch, lights around 2 fauxxmas trees on the step and over a tree at the gate.
You buy an outdoor box if you need to plug into an extension lead.

KungFuBustle Mon 02-Dec-13 19:27:26

I just make sure I've trimmed me bush.

BobCrotchstitch Mon 02-Dec-13 20:55:30

I have a real wreath (which I made myself) and two little jam jars with tea lights in that are hanging on the hanging basket brackets. We have no real front garden so that's enough for us fgrin

Mum2Fergus Mon 02-Dec-13 22:44:15

Not sure! Moved to new house in Feb so not decorated it for Xmas yet...I've a nice pre-lot wreath (but not sure how to attach to PVC door), loads off icicle lights (but no longer have porch,can't reach guttering, may put along the privet).

spottymoo Tue 03-Dec-13 07:22:17

We have an outdoor waterproof socket it's plugged in down the cable for the plug goes through an air vent. We have white icicles round the guttering at the front and a pop up snow man.

The wreath at his house is tied on the knocker but at the old house I had a thick ribbon on the wreath that came over the door and was attached to the foot handle inside

you can get wreath holders that hang over the top of the door. I bought a giant sucker hook that attaches to a glass panel on my front door and have hung (my first ever) wreath on it. Got the sucker in Homebase.

We have a wooden front door but a wreath hanger makes it harder to lock so I have stapled a ribbon to the top bat of the door out of sight to hang the wreath.

I am loving the sainsburys christmas tree scented candle, the house smells of christmas now too!

Top bar even... it has been a long night with sick kiddies!

miffybun73 Tue 03-Dec-13 09:45:23

We have outside is a Santa Stop Here sign in a plant pot by tyhe front door and a wreath hanging on the door.

The Christmas Tree will be in the window so can be seen as you're walking past (assuming that the curtains are open)

miffybun73 Tue 03-Dec-13 09:46:33

I think that white lights look nice, but blue ones just look awful.

I have a nice wreath on the front door.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now