I feel the need to cook a ham

(20 Posts)
TheOneAndOnlyAlpha Sun 01-Dec-13 16:56:14

So I have it in my head if like to cook a ham for Christmas Eve dinner. I'm thinking a lovely baked/boiled honey ham, mash, cauliflower cheese and veg. I'm quite obsessed with this thought.

I've never cooked a ham though. Does anyone have a good recipe that is fool proof?

Batbear Sun 01-Dec-13 16:57:39

We love Nigella's recipe for ham in coke really easy and delicious!

NatashaBee Sun 01-Dec-13 16:59:38

Yup, nigella. Even if you don't follow her recipe to the letter, just boiling it in coke, then covering it in a sugar, honey or treacle coating and baking it will make it taste lovely.

Ham in coke is the only way I can do ham now. Boil in coke with an onion and then top with brown sugar, treacle, mustard powder and cloves and blast in oven for 10 mins.

I have one cooking now in fact. We are having it with jacket spuds, corn on the cob, coleslaw and beetroot salad.

TheOneAndOnlyAlpha Sun 01-Dec-13 17:03:37

Oooo. That sound delicious. Though 'Nigella's ham in coke' made me giggle. So childish.

AndHarry Sun 01-Dec-13 17:07:34

I cooked Gordon Ramsay's honey roast ham one year. It was delicious if I say so myself!

I tried the ham in coke. It tasted like I expected envy

Can you boil it in coke now, then defros and glaze it? We are both working all the way up to Xmas including Xmas eve and we are trying to think of shortcuts.

TheOneAndOnlyAlpha Sun 01-Dec-13 17:11:57

That's an idea. I shall see if I can find the recipe. I have a nigella book lurking somewhere...

We add a star anise to our coke and it adds a lovely flavour. Has anyone done Nigella's ginger ham? Is it any good?

TheOneAndOnlyAlpha Sun 01-Dec-13 17:15:29

Hmmm. Doesn't say. I have the recipe for cherry coke.

ziggiestardust Sun 01-Dec-13 17:18:20

Yes, can anyone put the ham in coke recipe up please? I need to try it.

TheOneAndOnlyAlpha Sun 01-Dec-13 17:54:33
normaleggy Sun 01-Dec-13 18:21:50

Just to clarify, does she mean coke as in the carbonated drink..?

Alwayscheerful Sun 01-Dec-13 19:13:17

I have always loved Nigellas ham in coke but I can't help feeling her ham in coke was tongue in cheek or a private joke.

ziggiestardust Sun 01-Dec-13 19:55:21

Ooh thanks theoneandonly I've got that as my Boxing Day ham now!

Ginger Beer and Tangerine Ham is our family favourite, very closely followed by Nigella's one with Coke. The ginger beer gives a lovely flavour, but not too strong, plus I prefer to cook this one as it doesn't darken the ham inside.

WholeNutt Sun 01-Dec-13 20:34:36

I've tried naice ham in coke and ginger beer both lovely!

LumpySpacePrincessOhMyGlob Sun 01-Dec-13 21:48:49

I always cook it in apple and cranberry juice. Then cook red cabbage in the juice, cook three and freeze in bags for later.

We have this Christmas Eve with buttery mashed potato. It's just delicious, salty gammon, red cabbage and creamy buttery mash.

AngryBuddha Sun 01-Dec-13 21:58:12

I use to love, and it's the family favourite Jamie Oliver's Marmalade Ham
(Only do half the amount of pepper in the recipe or its over kill.)

PigletJohn Sun 01-Dec-13 23:56:35

I prefer baked/roast as it makes better sandwiches when cold, and is good on the first day served with parsely sauce and stuff straight out of the oven. You can also get a better roasty fatty glaze.

However they do tend to be too salty so need to be put in cold water in the fridge the night before, or possibly boiled first than baked (have seen a recipe for that but never done it)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now