Is it too early to buy a real Christmas tree?

(39 Posts)
Shinyshoes1 Sun 01-Dec-13 10:22:33

That's it really , is it too early ? Will it be dead by Christmas day ?

When should I look at getting one ?

ladypete Tue 03-Dec-13 14:44:28

Sorry, excuse the bold hmm

ladypete Tue 03-Dec-13 14:43:31

Oh thanks ladies! off to source a new WATER READY tree stand

girlywhirly Tue 03-Dec-13 11:54:08

Big plastic tub or bin, partially fill with gravel, stand tree in it, fill the space around the trunk with gravel, add water. Very heavy, but stable. It helps if you do this where you plan to situate the tree so that you don't need to drag/carry it.

Saw off the trunk end just before you put it in water, don't put the tree right next to a radiator, and it should be fine.

Also, don't buy a tree that is still in it's net, give it a shake and if lots of needles drop off don't buy it. The needles should be firm and springy to the touch, and a good colour, lots of dead looking limp branches/needles mean it's already wilting for lack of water so it won't last.

superlambanana Tue 03-Dec-13 11:51:21

Ladypete we have ours in a stand too. As long as I'm careful and don't fill it above the holes where the screws are (that hold the trunk in place) it's fine. You do have to crawl underneath though which ain't very dignified...

hyenafunk Tue 03-Dec-13 11:37:20

Always put ours up on evening of 30th and it lasts into new year. We get a Norway spruce and just keep it well watered and away from heat source. It's fine.

Acinonyx Tue 03-Dec-13 10:31:52

We use one of these stands
http://www.plantify.co.uk/Christmas-Tree-Stand/plant-14298?gclid=CM-Cvd_sk7sCFQEXwwodQSAAYg

and keep it topped up with water daily.

ladypete Tue 03-Dec-13 10:17:04

Sorry - I am being very thick here blush but how do you water a tree? We have stood ours in the bath for a few hours before now, but once it's up, decorated etc how do you water it daily?!

I'm picturing water being poured over the carpet and extension lead.... grin

We want a little one this year, and because dd1 isn't well then dh is going to get it this afternoon so we can decorate it to cheer her up.

We get a sawn one and have a stand which we pour water in, position it away from heat source and it'll be fine.

canutesauntie Mon 02-Dec-13 13:10:07

You can get one now and keep it outside till you are ready to put it up. Then saw a bit off the bottom and put it in a stand that you can put water in and water every few days. Depending on the heat levels should be fine.
Got ours this morning, a lovely 8ft nordman. A family along the lane grow them. They opened at 10 and it was pandemonium down there as they are half the cost of a garden centre etc. I think they'll have sold out today! Love the fact that there are no (well 1 1/2) tree miles on it though. Feeling Christmassy now!

jamtoast12 Mon 02-Dec-13 12:58:45

We get a real one every year around 6-7th, never water it (just place it in its stump) and place it on the room with the coal fire and it always lasts 3-4 weeks.

superlambanana Mon 02-Dec-13 11:32:39

The non-drop ones have softer, more rounded needles too. We had a dropping one one year and crawling underneath the spiky needles to water it was very painful! Also better for the dog as they're less likely to spike her in the paw famous last words

Acinonyx Mon 02-Dec-13 08:48:12

The almighty mess is part of the ritual.

Saw some very good fakes at the shop - for about £400 shock shock

clam Sun 01-Dec-13 22:50:42

I disagree. I've never seen a fake one yet that looks truly authentic. And they don't have that Christmassy aroma either.
Got to be a 'real' one!

Pixiepie Sun 01-Dec-13 21:15:59

buy a fake one. No needles, no mess, it wont die and could last you for years and they look very real now!

LumpySpacePrincessOhMyGlob Sun 01-Dec-13 21:15:47

Ours went up yesterday. Saw a couple of inches and water it every day. We always get a real tree and they are always fine. Get a good one though, I think ours was a nordic spruce.

Don't leave it too late though or you'll be buying the dregs (like the last loaf of bread that everyone has had a squeeze of on Bank Holiday Monday)

We used to buy ours 10-14 days before, leave it outside until we needed it. A cast iron water stand, and the place where we bought it used to cut the end.

Yes we got needle drop but it's part of the deal with real trees. sad

losersaywhat Sun 01-Dec-13 20:56:24

We got ours yesterday, a fraser fir from the local country park. I normally take it down the first week in January cos its annoying me by then, I find they dont shed that many needles and still look good weeks later.

Vivacia Sun 01-Dec-13 19:18:45

Where's this forest where you can just go and cut a tree down? Or is it like pick-your-own where you pay entry?

5Foot5 Sun 01-Dec-13 18:07:09

We were out in the forest today and there were loads of people out buying their tree. We will probably wait until next weekend and I always try to get a Nordmann as they don't drop. We put ours in a metal stand

Dilidali Sun 01-Dec-13 17:45:09

Bought ours today smile there were lots of people buying trees.
Got a non-drop one, 6ft, £45.
In a bucket with some compost. Never had a real one so can't tell you. smile

Acinonyx Sun 01-Dec-13 17:44:30

We got ours today and dh is getting it set up right now. It was sawn off not potted, 7 ft. We take it down before NY. If you get one that has good needle retention you should be OK (it was not cheap...). We have a stand thing that lets you water it.

Farahilda Sun 01-Dec-13 17:31:54

It depends on when to intend takngit down.

If you are going to be traditional the it needs to last until 12th Night, so I think it would be worth waiting another coup,e of weeks.

Of course, if you have say someone with an early January birthday or another overwhelming reason to break from tradition and take it down early, the you'd probably be OK any time from now on.

EatingAllTheCrumpets Sun 01-Dec-13 17:27:22

We get ours on or around the 1st, it's soaked outside for 7-10 days (depending how impatient I am!) then put up. We have a ridiculously hot house so have to keep it well watered and it's dead by mid Jan so it does come down in the first week or so of Jan

MamaBear17 Sun 01-Dec-13 17:24:24

We get ours on the 1st every year. We choose it, it is cut there and then and still looks lovely on New Years Day. DH reckons that cutting some ridges into the base and daily watering helps.

clam Sun 01-Dec-13 16:50:34

I will buy mine tomorrow (taking the kids after school - always empty on a Monday, unlike the weekends) and leave it outside until next weekend, when ds is limbering up to boss the hell out of us organise decorating.
They always say you should leave it outside for a while before bringing it in, but I'm not sure why. Surely it's already been outside for weeks, so why will being on my patio instead of outside the shop make a difference?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now