are you meant to wrap stocking fillers?

(64 Posts)
T100 Sat 30-Nov-13 19:18:31

We never did stocking fillers growing up but now I have 2 small dc and dc1 is aware of xmas, I'd like to do everything. Are you meant to wrap stocking filler presents inside the stocking or just put them all in?

Also, when do you open stockings?

ILoveRacnoss Sun 01-Dec-13 18:02:03

I wrap everything. It keeps the DCs in their rooms for longer!

They open in their rooms and try to resist waking us for as long as poss. I love eavesdropping on the exclamations and them dashing between rooms to show each other what they got.

Family presents are downstairs, once we've had some breakfast.

Then off to grandparents for their presents.

LeBearPolar Sun 01-Dec-13 18:02:20

I wrap too. Really enjoy watching DS unwrap the little bits and pieces rather than just yanking everything out. Prolongs the magic a bit while he tries to guess what each thing might be first. And we don't open pressies until after lunch, so the stocking needs to provide that excitement and give him plenty to do until then.

Stockings from FC, tree presents from family here.

ajandjjmum Sun 01-Dec-13 18:12:56

They're wrapped in Santa's special paper (as are the big pressies from Santa). They have a label on written by Santa (or at least someone whose writing the DC don't recognise) They might get a present for being good at the dentist when their brace was fitted, or for trying hard in Maths etc.

We also had a tradition (DC now 20 and 21 so doesn't quite wash!) where they would have a couple of potatoes each wrapped in foil, with a Santa label on saying 'I had to take this present away because you were unkind to your sister' etc! Brought them down to earth a little.

I love stockings - but goodness, don't they get expensive as the DC get older.

Wrap in foil - easy for little fingers to unwrap and keeps them busy for longer!

Breezy1985 Sun 01-Dec-13 18:20:43

Everythings wrapped here to and they both have different paper.. Stockings are downstairs but Santa brings everything in our ours. Open families presents after lunch.

RussTDaviesBear Sun 01-Dec-13 18:22:19

Doesn't the word 'wrap' start to look odd when you read it so many times....

I always wrapped stocking fillers in tissue paper - blue for DS and yellow for DD.

jaykay987 Sun 01-Dec-13 18:25:10

Once we 'knew' about Santa, my mum got me to wrap my sisters stocking and vice versa. Saved her loads of time, and we felt involved in Christmas. I used to love spending an hour alone with my mum in the run up to Christmas.

ChippingInLovesChristmasLights Sun 01-Dec-13 18:36:25

We've always wrapped the 'presents' in the stocking but not the nuts, satsumas, gold (chocolate) coins etc and they and one medium sized present get left on the end of your bed by Santa smile

hallowisitmeyourelookingfor Sun 01-Dec-13 20:48:35

I think tissue paper is more expensive than wrapping paper, surely! Last time I bought tissue paper it was £2 for about 5 sheets. Would hate to think how much I'd get through with 3 dc!!
The foil wrapped potatoes made me laugh!

ladypete Sun 01-Dec-13 22:30:50

Yep! We wrap them in tacky christmassy paper (different paper to main presents) and open them first thing after hauling them to the main bedroom grin

ben5 Sun 01-Dec-13 22:41:58

Yes I wrap them. The boys bring them into our bedroom and we open them in bed. Then get up and go to back room were Santa normally leaves the presents. Open them and Skype parents at same time. Off to the beach for BBQ breakfast then home to veg.

FixItUpChappie Mon 02-Dec-13 04:16:28

It do....I always loved it when my mum wrapped everything and was always slightly disappointed when she didn't bother. I found the act of unwrapping half the fun as a child. A simple pleasure smile

BobCrotchstitch Mon 02-Dec-13 06:31:09

We didn't used to as DS took so long minutely examining each present. This year though he is 9 and we have my DP's staying so......
Stockings for everyone (including DCat and DDogs [tchgrin]) Gifts will be wrapped this year because we have church at 11am, then pop to the pub for a pint and back home for main presents while dinner is cooking. This is a new tradition, I don't think DS would have been able to hold out that long previously!

Doitnicelyplease Mon 02-Dec-13 19:28:00

We don't do stockings but (slightly bigger) sacks (pillowcase size), I always wrap them because I remember being a child and tipping out my bulging pillowcase full of pressies on my bed and wondering which one to open first.

I like the anticipation, rather than everything just being on display immediately. My dds are quite young and they open their stockings/sacks in front of us still, so it takes longer and we can see their enjoyment/surprise.

I don't wrap sweets or choc treats though. I use christmas pound shop paper for the stocking gifts (just like my Mum used to for us!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now