Investing in an artificial tree - is bigger better?

(23 Posts)
YoniRotten Tue 03-Dec-13 15:06:13

fgrin <feeling the love>

grin thanks to you too

YoniRotten Mon 02-Dec-13 23:21:28

Fake tree bought! We raced to homebase tonight to check them out, ordered online when we got home for the 15% discount. We collect Wednesday. So special thanks to powerhoop, thanks.

YoniRotten Mon 02-Dec-13 00:21:16

Thanks. Feeling a but rushed now if we want that 15% as above, but would ideally go check out the garden centres too. Feeling a bit disorganised!

DioneTheDiabolist Sun 01-Dec-13 23:53:05

I think I got mine from a garden centre.

YoniRotten Sun 01-Dec-13 22:50:13

He said we'd go look tomorrow at fake ones! The prices at homebase and B&Q are amazing! Some tall ones too! I'll post back if we buy one!
Thanks!
Where was yours from, Dione?

DioneTheDiabolist Sun 01-Dec-13 22:35:06

If he doesn't change his mind and it's practical, you could have one last real tree and buy a brilliant artificial one in the sale.

I did that and managed to buy a £129 tree for £50.grin

YoniRotten Sun 01-Dec-13 22:27:25

Ooh, tempting! Have now promised DH we could get a real one, I shall present him with the bargain news, and see if he will change his mind.

mumtoone1 Sun 01-Dec-13 21:41:55

I got a 7.5 footer from B&q a few years back. It's a stunner and it goes half price about this time of year. £50-£60.

homebase still have the half price trees and the 15% will still be on online tomorrow (15% only online tomorrow not for instore).

YoniRotten Sun 01-Dec-13 21:23:09

Thanks for the shopping tip, powerhoop, missed out as we were away for the weekend and I am only logging in now. Oh well.
Thanks all for the responses, I think we are going to get a real tree this year, see how I like it, and if I still prefer fake, will try and pick up a bargain in the new year! A big tall full bargain!

TripTrapTripTrapOverTheBridge Sat 30-Nov-13 22:29:22

Mine is 6 foot,lovely and bushy and snow tipped.I love my tree lots (sounds sad,I know!) It is beautiful.

I like real trees,love most Christmas trees actually (although mine is the best lol) but they're a pain and it's harder to find one that will lol as good decorated as a fake one with the way I decorate.Different trees suit different things imo.

I have bought a teeny tiny real tree as a decoration this year though,no idea where I'll put it,it's only about 8 inches tall,bless it!

pipo Sat 30-Nov-13 22:19:05

can anyone recommend a bushy artificial tree that they have bought this year?
( I realise they might not be going up yet! )

girlywhirly Sat 30-Nov-13 15:07:06

I've had artificial and real trees at different times in my life, and quite honestly I prefer a good quality artificial. I got mine from a garden centre as well, and this year will be it's 12th outing so as it always looks good I think I have had value for my money. Even with our cat climbing it for two Christmasses, it has been sturdy and never got damaged or collapsed.

TheXmasLogIn Sat 30-Nov-13 13:34:40

We have a lovely bushy 7ft tree that I bought from a garden centre. It cost a fair bit (£129.99 IIRC) but is definitely worth it. Previously we had a 5ft one that came from Asda, which was also absolutely fine and fitted in our flat at the time. It saw us through the baby/toddler years (also a hyperactive kitten that loved climbing) but was starting to get a bit worse for wear and parts had to be held together with tape.

Then we moved into our current home and the old tree looked a bit ridiculous in a large living room with 9.5ft high ceiling, so the new one got bought. So I think the size and shape of tree you should get will be dependent on the room where its going to be really.

DrivingToDistraction Sat 30-Nov-13 12:36:05

After always having real ones we bought a really good 7ft fake last year, due to facing a few years of babies/toddlers in the house. It looks fantastic and I really like the shape of it, but it took a lot of comparison shopping to find one that was full enough and looked like it would stand up well for a few years. We went to a garden centre in the end where they had a better choice than the 'bargains' at Argos, B&Q et al which all seemed weedy to me.

TeamSwitzerland Sat 30-Nov-13 12:30:55

Ours is 6ft, was going to buy the 7ft but thought would be too big, we got ours from next and is the nicest tree we've ever bought. X

homebase has half price trees and an extra 15% off this weekend so why not go and have a look and maybe get a bargain

YoniRotten Sat 30-Nov-13 10:41:18

I've never had a real tree. DH grew up with real, I grew up with artificial. I quite liked getting the same tree out every year, though I do also see the appeal of a different tree every year. We are undecided.
Thanks for all the responses so far. I do get that a tree with lovely decorations (and tat!) will still look great, I think I just want a big focal point for Xmas, a big wow.
We are actually house hunting so not sure how big our forever-home lounge will be, I think I will rule out properties that won't comfortably house a big tree! Just to decide fake vs real.

6/7 foot is quite sufficient and we wouldnt be able to reach the top area to decorate it if it is much taller. It would also swamp the room. We had to buy a slimmer one last year as well as our old one was too bushy and the living room door kept bashing it.

ChippingInLovesAutumn Sat 30-Nov-13 10:33:44

Grinch grin

Real ones smell lovely and you get to have a different shape & size every year (that sounds grubby!! LOL). There's nothing like them.

Sadly, I haven't been able to have one for a couple of years (nor this year - sob!!!) but I have a lovely tree that I got for £1.50 at a charity shop grin I went in to take some stuff IN & came out with him, he was looking so lonely & abandoned!!

Frankly, once you get all of the tat tasteful co-ordinated splutter decorations on there, it doesn't matter that much what the 'fake' tree is like. I wouldn't spend too much - you might decide that you prefer the real thing and go back to that next year. I can't wait!! I thought I'd be able to have a real one this year - but it's not to be.

I had already planned where to put the fake one as I couldn't leave him abandoned and unloved in the loft!!

wonderingsoul Sat 30-Nov-13 10:28:54

depends how much space you have.. i h ave a 6ft one which does the bill perfectly.

id say if space was no problem a 7ft one that bushy would be awesome.

YoniRotten Sat 30-Nov-13 09:53:15

Think we are going to invest in a really good quality artificial tree - reckon over the years it will work out more economical than a real tree every year. Plus no hassle with dropping needles and mess etc.
Prices between 6' and 9' jump quite steeply. If you have a six footer, do you wish you'd spent more getting a huge tree? I'm just trying to justify the extra hike in price!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now