Share a lovely Christmas memory

(42 Posts)
Justshabbynochic Fri 29-Nov-13 03:19:10

I'm ill with tonsillitis and need something warm and fuzzy to read to cheer me up...please!

I'll start: Years ago when I was about 12 or 13, my parents were going through a pretty difficult year financially. We had to decorate our houseplant for a tree that year I remember.

Anyway on the evening of the 1st of December, we had a knock at the door. No one was there, but there was a note and a poinsetta plant on the ground.

The note said in a cute little rhyming poem something like "we are your Christmas pixies, and every day until Christmas Day we will be sneakily bringing you a treat."

So every night at different times we'd check and there would be stuff left for us. We never caught them out, they were always really clever and sneaky.

All the gifts were little things: baked goods, a craft set, loads of bubble gum, etc. but the surprise, mystery, and kindness totally saved Christmas that year.

A year later I went to my best friend's house, asked to borrow some cellotape and she absent-mindedly told me where to find some in her parents' study. I accidentally found the stickers and printed paper they used for the 'Pixie' cards.

I confronted her and she admitted it was her family. They were a big family of 6 children all in their teens and 20's, and every year they would pick a down and out family and do this very special, lovely thing for them.

The kids would make a big thing about putting on black and smearing war paint on their cheeks and make a game of being as stealthy as possible when leaving the surprises. They did a great job...we never heard them once!

It's definitely something I'd like to do some day when the DC's are older.

Anyway, does anyone else have a special fond memory, tradition, or nice story to share about Christmas? It's the most wonderful time of year, after all. smile

stickysausages Fri 29-Nov-13 19:41:03

Lovely posts!

I hope DS grows up with some lovely memories like these grin

And yes... I have done the flour footprints on the carpet... but the nay-sayers can bog off, as he still thinks it's amazing!

Katieweasel Fri 29-Nov-13 21:04:55

My favourite memory is sitting on the sofa with my beloved Grandad when I was about 4. I just remember telling him that there were only 3 sleeps to go and he gave me a big squeeze x

Justshabbynochic Fri 29-Nov-13 21:12:40

smile My grandparents made our Christmases pretty special, too.

They used to wear matching Christmas tree jumpers for a start. (Way before it was trendy!)

Showy Fri 29-Nov-13 21:29:46

I have such fond memories of my childhood Christmases. Just memories of magic and feeling loved but my best memory comes from being an adult.

When dd was 3 my Mum was diagnosed with cancer just before Christmas. DD has always been close to my parents and we were honest with her about what was happening. On Christmas day we sat at my Mum's table with my Dad, Grandma, Aunt, brother, cousins etc and we were having a lovely meal and everything was as it should have been but the diagnosis was like a black cloud and the adults in the room were particularly struggling with forced jollity in front of the grandchildren.

Anyway, dd got the sixpence from the pudding and was allowed a wish. At 3 years old I was expecting a wish for a toy or a day out or some sort of treat. She clutched her sixpence, closed her eyes and just wished for grandma to get better. I felt very proud and extremely tearful.

On the 11th January my Mum had surgery which was a success and she was declared in remission a while afterwards. The day she had her surgery, I found out I was pregnant with ds who is 2 years old now and will be there at that Christmas table this year with his beloved Grandma serving up the dinner, just as it should be.

Justshabbynochic Fri 29-Nov-13 21:34:37

Oh,*Showy*. thanks

Just as it should be, indeed.

imnotweirdimlimitededition Fri 29-Nov-13 21:34:46

I was about 7 or 8 & it was bedtime about a week before Christmas. My mum had me looking out the window & there was Santa with a notebook & pen outside our house ( I later found out it was my dad dressed up). I was petrified & ran from bedroom to my brother who was 6 years older! That memory is still fresh in my mind & now my father is no longer with us I love to recall it as he made Christmas special.
I know my parents had very little money but he spent weeks painting & repairing a 2nd hand bike for me. Those were the days when u got satsuma in paper in your sock-the simple things

AliceinWinterWonderland Fri 29-Nov-13 21:40:58

When I was 5yo (many years ago grin), we (me and my sisters) left a Polaroid camera out and in our letter to Father Christmas asked him to take a picture of the reindeer for us.

When we got up Christmas morning, there was a reply written on the bottom of our letter to Father Christmas (in mysteriously different handwriting to either of our parents LOL) saying basically "I tried to take pictures of the reindeer but as you can see, Rudolph's nose is just too bright!" Next to the letter were two polaroid pictures - both showed a bright red light in the middle and just hazy to the edge of the pictures.

We were so excited - told everyone we saw for days that we had a picture of Rudolph (well, his nose anyway grin). Of course, when I was older, I worked out that he had taken a very close picture of one of the red lights on the tree (back when they had those big bulbs on the string of lights).

It's just one of those silly things that I love looking back and remembering how excited we were. smile

AliceinWinterWonderland Fri 29-Nov-13 21:41:27

*"he" being my father, of course.

I have so many wonderful memories of Christmas. That feeling of pure excitement.
When we put the tree up the fairy would always appear on it the next morning. I would spend hours staring at her willing her to come to life!
I remember sitting on my mom's lap Christmas eve morning saying that I wanted to go to bed again.
Also on Christmas Eve we visited all our relatives to deliver presents. last we would visit my grandma and grandad and I would just be so excited that I could virtually touch Christmas.
And waking up and feeling my stocking on the end of my bed. ahhhhhh.

IslaMann Fri 29-Nov-13 22:18:12

Think I'm allergic to this thread as my eyes keep running ....

Pancakeflipper Fri 29-Nov-13 22:38:46

One Christmas Eve it snowed and and snowed. We lived very rural and were supposed to be at an Aunt's house for Christmas Day 5 miles away. But roads were not passable on Christmas Day. And our dodgy phone line was not working.

I was about 5 and trying to not be sad about not seeing my cousins and playing the usually family games. It would Christmas snowed in.

At midday my grandparents appeared at our door. My grandad had spent the morning making a sledge and filled it up with the Christmas presents. They collected us. I was pulled all the way on my sledge by my dad and grandad taking turns also pulling my brother in his sledge. My grandma pulling the presents sledge.

We got there at 3pm just in time for Christmas dinner.

I was pulled back home in the sledge much later that night covered in my Aunt's blanket and I apparently slept all the way home whilst the grown ups did the hard work of towing us back home. Dad says there was a small bottle of whiskey involved aiding the grownups to keep warm and happy.

callmekitten Fri 29-Nov-13 22:56:49

Well. thanks for the tug-at-your-heartstrings award. smile I personally think all these stories deserve one. Talk about the true meaning of Christmas!

Cathycat Fri 29-Nov-13 23:28:04

Loads ... hearing Jingle bells outside when I was younger (that sounded suspiciously like the China ornaments in our house), huge paper concertina decorations, hubby getting an unexpected bonus that meant that we could add a family present of a Wii machine to our fairly modest presents that year at the last minute. The children were very happy about it! The funny / sad thing was it was opened last and my eldest son opened a Wii game first and said, quite sadly "oh someone thinks we have a Wii, never mind!" Best though are the routines - carrots and a drink for Santa and the comments like "why do the carrots not get finished but the drink does?" Lol.

cheesypastaplease Sat 30-Nov-13 07:32:58

This is a lovely thread!

insummeritreinsdeer Sat 30-Nov-13 09:08:47

Not sure I should read this thread as have only read the OP and almost in tears! Lovely thread idea.

BiddyPop Sat 30-Nov-13 10:39:25

My favourite memory of Christmas is the first year I started my own wee tradition. My parents had a lot of functions to attend in the run up, and when I was 16, they let me babysit the other 5 some nights rather than always getting a sitter in - she was getting on in years. My siblings were all watching tv in the kitchen/ family room, but I sat in the sitting room and made myself a sneaky jack Daniels, then lay on the floor to drink it in the lights of the tree only. It was such a nice quiet time in our chaotic house, that I looked forward to it every year, not always a JD, a beer or even soft drink many years.

I still do that here, one night when DH is out, and dd in bed, I sit on the floor in low twinkly lights, and just contemplate the year and life in general. It is a rare and needed time out for maybe ten minutes or half an hour.

MrsClauswearsspanx Sat 30-Nov-13 21:23:27

Not so stealth bump...any others? These are lovely to read! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now