Help, I have broken my daughters' Christmas!

(34 Posts)
clux73 Wed 27-Nov-13 10:07:55

My 8 year old and 5 year old will never forgive me!

Monday night: DD's stumble across the bear and the hare cuddly toys on the John Lewis website and instantly want them! DD1 goes off, reappears with £24 and asks me to order them both, one for her, one for her sister. I said that with Christmas coming up they shouldn't be buying stuff and they should see what Father Christmas brings. Hence lots of "but what if there aren't any left" type angst from them both.

Yesterday I went to John Lewis on Oxford Street fully expecting to see a whole floor full of cuddly bears and rabbits. Nope, no sign of any. I ask for help and an assistant looks on the computer and says that they're now out of stock on line but there may be one left on floor 3. I find two hares and NO BEARS!!! A very helpful assistant then rings round a few other London stores but there are no bears anywhere in London. Then it gets worse, I later find out that there are no bears in the country AND no definite order placed for new stock.

Had a little glimmer of hope last night. I'd signed up to be alerted if he came back in stock and I did get an email but as soon as I clicked he was out of stock. And now this morning bear has vanished from the website. I am in complete despair. I have let my daughters' down. And everytime the flipping advert comes on they'll remember bear again!!! I have a hare with no bear. It's like a depressing version of the advert.

wonderingsoul Sat 30-Nov-13 07:57:25

great news smile and great custermer service agagin from JL smile

Trumpton Sat 30-Nov-13 06:54:16

Aw wow ! That's lovely. Happy Christmas Clux73DDs .

temporarilyjerry Sat 30-Nov-13 06:52:22

Great news, Clux.

Merry Christmas to you and well done, JL.

clux73 Sat 30-Nov-13 06:46:37

Hello all

Just wanted to thank you for your help. I have fantastic news - John Lewis have been completely brilliant and spent ages scouring the country for me. They have found the one last bear on the planet for me. So relieved.

EduCated Bosnia-Herzegovina Sat 30-Nov-13 00:17:21
Heavymetalmater Fri 29-Nov-13 22:59:25

I will have a look in exeter on sunday for you.

LalyRawr Fri 29-Nov-13 22:31:35

Have you checked Westfield in Stratford?

I'll be there Monday at the latest, can get them for you if still needed!

ihatethecold Fri 29-Nov-13 22:03:15

I am popping to John Lewis in Cambridge tomorrow, do you want me to look. Do you want a hare or a bear?

Rosieliveson Fri 29-Nov-13 22:02:31

Oh no. Have an idea that's a bit out of the box. Could you get another hare if they are still about, buy two brown bear onesies (not necessarily from JL) and have your DC be the bear to their very own hare?!

You could make one? Or get someone else to? If you found the right fabric it would be reasonably simple to make an exact copy, but it wouldn't have the tags, obviously. I will check our local store when I'm in, hopefully tomorrow, just on the off chance.

fuzzpig Fri 29-Nov-13 21:56:14

I would say it's extremely unlikely that there'll be more after Xmas - as I understood it they are specifically due to the Xmas advert

Prices might go down on eBay though I guess

TheDayOfMyDoctor Fri 29-Nov-13 21:46:05

I hate when people buy up kids stuff to flog it for a fortune on eBay. I hope you find them OP.

BrianTheMole Fri 29-Nov-13 21:43:30

I guess they will get more after xmas? If so write a letter from bear and hare saying they are helping santa and will be arriving in jan.

fuzzpig Fri 29-Nov-13 21:40:08

Oh wow I just googled and I see they are originally £12 each. Jeez.

I guess they sell out so fast thanks to unscrupulous bastards wanting to eBay loads of them sad I wish shops would set limits on purchases for this kind of thing.

Similar thing happened with Monty Python tickets on Monday - the entire lot of tickets for the first show sold out in 45 seconds FFS! Then they were instantly on eBay for hundreds and hundreds of pounds.

ELR Fri 29-Nov-13 21:39:39

Going to my local jl on Monday will check for you OP.

Coconutty Costa Rica Fri 29-Nov-13 21:34:19

Don't buy one off ebay for stoopid money.

BarfaStewart Fri 29-Nov-13 21:32:05

Jesus christ shock at the price! It really bugs me when I see stuff like that, I don't know why, but it seems a bit mean.

OP, I don't have a JL near me, but could share this on my FB wall, see if any of my friends have seen one. If a few mners did this, there's a chance.

fuzzpig Fri 29-Nov-13 21:24:51

Hope you find one smile

fuzzpig Fri 29-Nov-13 21:24:20

Can't believe how high the prices are going for a cuddly toy! How much are they supposed to be? £12 each (as your DD gave you £24) or more than that?

LazyLondoner Fri 29-Nov-13 21:15:03

I definitely saw at least one of those bears in John lewis at Oxford circus yesterday. It was in the nursery section (?floor 4) in amongst all the jelly cat toys. Might be worth another look?

spiderlight Fri 29-Nov-13 20:54:04
SpookedMackerel Wed 27-Nov-13 12:00:30

Surely you could find a substitute bear that looks similar; the hare is the more unusual one, but the bear could be any old teddy. (Esp if it has disappeared from the website, so they can't remind themselves what it looks like.)

WaitMonkey Wed 27-Nov-13 10:59:43

Just reading thread property. Glad they have the wrapping paper in store. Didn't think they would. Will look on Saturday.

WaitMonkey Wed 27-Nov-13 10:58:06

grin At depressing version of the advert.
Did you buy both hares.? Would you they not be happy with a hare each ? I've been after the B&H wrapping paper. OOS online, so I set up a stock alert. Twice they've emailed to say it's back in stock, twice within minutes I've checked the website, only to find it OOS. You haven't ruined Christmas, John Lewis have. [Daily Mail sad face]

MiracleOntheM4 Wed 27-Nov-13 10:55:43

Thanks clux - I'm a Londoner (username is a bit of a red herring) so will be popping up to Oxford Street or Peter Jones later this weekend. Really, really kind of you though. thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now