How to convince DH that boys can have dolls?

(95 Posts)
Nix01 Tue 26-Nov-13 21:59:11

My 3 year old son has wanted a doll for ages. My mum saw one wearing blue (so a boy baby) on his wish list and she's bought it for him.

She also stupidly told DH that if it arrives here it will be returned and I should never have put it on the list etc etc.

Truthfully, he's being a total dick about the doll. He's got it in his head that boys do not have dolls and no one will convince him otherwise.

He's a very bright man and totally lovely but he's adamant on this. I want the doll. How do I convince him?

Nix01 Tue 26-Nov-13 22:00:01

I mean she stupidly told DH and he said if it arrives here etc...

Luggage16 Tue 26-Nov-13 22:01:50

ask him if he expects his son to grow up to be a dad - and if so what kind of father is he hoping he will be!

I can't find the great cartoon I'm looking for, but this is an interesting article

Manchesterhistorygirl Tue 26-Nov-13 22:03:03

Give it to ds and let him see how happy he is playing with it and hopefully he'll get the message.

Dh was like this with ds1's pink pushchair. Once he saw how happy he was with it he changed his mind. That was eight years ago and now ds2 plays with the same pram.

Ask him whether he had an Action Man and point out they are dolls.

Idreamofsunshine Tue 26-Nov-13 22:09:00

Tell DH to grow up

scallopsrgreat Tue 26-Nov-13 22:13:15

Why does he think boys shouldn't have dolls?

TheDoctrineOfWho Tue 26-Nov-13 22:14:10

Do children play with toys that represent the world around them, such as cars, toy food, play tools etc? Yes.

Does the world around them include babies? Yes.

Do babies get cared for by their parents? You betcha.

So...ask him to articulate what his problemis, assuming he has cuddled, kissed, bathed, fed, played with DSat some point in the last 3 years WITHOUT HIS PENIS FALLING OFF!

The chances are, he has done all of their things much more often than he has done DIY, but no doubt would have no problem with DS getting a toy hammer and chisel.

bundaberg Tue 26-Nov-13 22:14:18

point out that HE HAS A BABY HIMSELF.

SantanaLopez Tue 26-Nov-13 22:14:34

Didn't quite catch that, edam? grin

Tell him to grow up.

CheshireSplat Tue 26-Nov-13 22:16:51

Travelin, I'm thinking of (I imagine) the same cartoon which I saw on Facebook. It was shared from the moby wrap FB if anyone more technically minded than me can post a link.

OP, it was great. 2 men talking and a boy giving a baby doll a bottle. 1st man saying you can't let your son play with a doll. Aren't you afraid he'll turn out to be..... Turn out to be what, 2nd man says. A dad?

bundaberg Tue 26-Nov-13 22:18:53

this might work

runningonwillpower Tue 26-Nov-13 22:20:44

Nix - so what's his real problem?

Does he really think that letting your little boy have a doll will determine his sexuality?

You and he need to talk.

neontetra Tue 26-Nov-13 22:21:32

What arguments does he make against it?

That's the one!

KrabbyPatty Tue 26-Nov-13 22:25:12

He doesn't sound very bright - he sounds quite the opposite.

At that age, my eldest ds was happily carrying Fizz from the Tweenies around with him everywhere, and continued to do so until he was 4.

Nix01 Wed 27-Nov-13 07:58:52

Thanks for the input, some great points for my argument

Nix01 Wed 27-Nov-13 07:59:31

Unfortunately, telling him he's a dick won't improve my chances ;)

MortifiedAnyFuckerAdams Wed 27-Nov-13 08:01:55

ID say "He is playing at being a daddy. Why is that a bad thing?"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now