I need a Christmas present for..... (pitch in suggestions and ask for ideas yourself)

(59 Posts)
TotallyUprobably Fri 22-Nov-13 13:34:02

Hope this isn't duplicating other threads too much but thought it might be handy to have a thread to ask for Christmas present ideas and add suggestions if anyone else is struggling to think up present ideas (I am - had loads last year but am not doing well this year!)

I still need Christmas presents for;

DH - something quirky and a bit unusual as a little present, up to £15. Maybe something he can play with (no snurking at the back)?

BIL - up to £25, again quirky suggestions would be good. Likes computers and cooking (but owns a cafe so no cook books please!), hates books. Something to use or wear would be especially fab.

Parents - joint present, up to £60, either a house ornament or something really nice for the garden.

Other BIL - up to £20, thinks he's very trendy, haven't the foggiest what he actually likes - he drives and teaches if that's any help.

Anyone else need help?

homeworkmakesmemad Fri 22-Nov-13 19:29:26

Norman I too would recommend that book - bought it for my BIL one year and he loved it. How about making them a hamper of things to enjoy.... doesn't need to be specific. Most people enjoy a film so a love film voucher is a great idea. You could add to it a £10 M&S voucher and write a wee note that they are to treat themselves to a "dine in". Maybe add in a retro game or toy which they could share with their 2yr old and next baby when they're a bit bigger?

homeworkmakesmemad Fri 22-Nov-13 19:32:05

sweetskull that's hard and to be honest people like that you probably won't ever 'wow' just because their expectations are so high before you've even begun! Could you get a voucher to a local restaurant for one of the couples so they can enjoy en evening out together - or a voucher for afternoon tea at a posh hotel?

AndiPandi Fri 22-Nov-13 19:32:58

OP for your teacher BIL what about a Contigo travel mug / flask thingy. My teacher friends love them, keep hot drinks hot for hours.

bimbedybam Fri 22-Nov-13 19:35:00

wow..quick response homework!

Will check it out...

<<takes me 5 mins to work my damn mobile...!)

ILoveWoollyStuff Fri 22-Nov-13 19:42:04

Totally how about a nesting box with a camera? Mum got one late last yr and loves having 'Springwatch' in her own garden!

Takver Fri 22-Nov-13 19:48:42

Help with my DH also needed. Hobbies: singing (choir) / acting, neither of which need any 'stuff', has just revamped his wardrobe & got himself lots of new clothes, hates novelty stuff.

Successes in the past - lichen identification course, board games (have one on order but very small so could do with another present to add to it)

My DM remembered an acting masterclass which she used to have on video, but can't find any equivalent now.

notablob Fri 22-Nov-13 20:08:29

Marking to come back later.

Girlsonfilm: would the 13 year old enjoy Star Wars origami or folded flyers?

Nothing to suggest but I've ordered OCD chopping board and the book for dh. Keep them ideas coming grin

sweetskull Sat 23-Nov-13 10:40:01

I need for SIL, BIL, MIL & FIL.

I like spending Christmas with them but I loathe the presents opening time. They love it and expect a lot. They want to be wowed. It's so ridiculous.
I don't want to wow them and I don't want to spend a fortune.

GirlsonFilm Sat 23-Nov-13 16:27:41

Home - thanks dvd idea is great I think I'll get a voucher as I've no idea what dvds they've got.

Arbitrary - great ideas - star wars origami it is!

MuffCakes Sat 23-Nov-13 18:19:41

Any ideas for a few small gifts for an almost 15 yr ok boy?

Leopoldina Sat 23-Nov-13 18:23:18

to WOW the PILs, have a look at the lovely crates from Gluttonous Gardener - glut.co.uk

TeaAndCakeOrDeath Sat 23-Nov-13 18:32:10

For diffcult too buy for people, may I recommend the The Happy Puzzle Company - lots of nice bits esp in the sale

INeedThatForkOff Sat 23-Nov-13 19:25:41

Secret Santa. It has to be 'outrageous' and max £5. I'm thinking of some weirdly flavoured food or hideous nail art. Any suggestions please?

sweetskull Sat 23-Nov-13 21:38:34

Not sure why my post went up twice.
Thanks for the sugestions so far, by they won't be wowed by it...

sweetskull Sat 23-Nov-13 21:39:20

For hideous Secret Santa, how about a cheap wig? or some mustache?

SolidGold Mon 25-Nov-13 21:36:00

... for my son aged 22?

Doesn't have a hobby, I can't afford much this year and don't want to do vouchers. I'm thinking up to £20 - otherwise I'm just going to buy some booze!

clr2014 Mon 25-Nov-13 22:14:07

22 yo son, or a bil what about those beanie hats that have built in earphones so you can connect to your phone / ipod?

clr2014 Mon 25-Nov-13 22:15:51

sweetskull...i think personalised presents are good for wowing.... check out notonthehighstreet and then google / ebay to see if you can find the things cheaper ( if you need to to suit your budget)

clr2014 Mon 25-Nov-13 22:18:38
SolidGold Mon 25-Nov-13 22:50:09

Ooh clr2014, nice idea, thanks smile

callmekitten Tue 26-Nov-13 02:00:19

for the guitar players, how about the Pick Punch? You can punch your own picks out of old credit cards, gift cards etc. I've heard you can even make them out of thinner vinyl records if you've got any of those lying around. I got one for DH last year and he loved it. Amazon has them. Make sure you get the Pick Punch brand.

Bertrude Tue 26-Nov-13 04:52:41

How about my 2 year old nephew? He likes cars and trains, but his birthday has been very recently so he has lots of stuff. Budget not a problem - he's our only family baby so he gets spoilt

numberoneidiot Tue 26-Nov-13 08:58:45

Bertrude, there are some great DVDs on trains etc on Amazon aimed at small kids.

If you don't want to buy more stuff, how about an experience for you to enjoy together? Are there any steam railways near you? Or ant of those mini steam railways that open periodically? Lots of them are doing special Christmas days, or you could give him a promise to go later in the year.

Trip to somewhere like Chessington (he's too young for most of the rides but there is a monorail, aka "the sky train!")? Or a homemade voucher for a train trip with you somewhere.

Can you tell my DS is also a big train fan? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now