How do you open yours?

(46 Posts)
Squidwardtenticles Thu 21-Nov-13 00:19:44

Presents that is (sorry if it's been done before)

My children rip the paper of is hurry all excited while my cousins children have to remove the cellotape carefully so they don't rip the paper (she saves it) then they must play with said gift for 15 minute before moving onto the next.
They like to discuss each individual gift too.

She thinks we're weird and i think she is grin

Hulababy Thu 21-Nov-13 19:52:21

All presents under tree
Sit together (me, DH and DD) and take it in turns to open presents and see what each other gets. DD tends to dish them out - she likes to do so.
After me and DH have finished ours (as we always have far less than DD in terms of parcels) D goes and makes drinks and breakfast whilst DD enjoys some opened gifts. Then once he's back in the room we watch DD open the rest of her parcels.

I also tend to keep a note of who bought what, ready for thank you letters.

Still18atheart Thu 21-Nov-13 19:56:31

Another Fuzzpig family here. Although we do open santa's stocking fist thing in bed with a coffee. have breakfast We open pressies from each other and people who we won't be seeing that day at about 12:30, with champers then normally go to the pub then open the families presents at about 5pm. then eat turkey at about 7pm. before crashing in front of the tele. Lunch doesn't happen but eat lots of nibbles through out the day.

Still18atheart Thu 21-Nov-13 19:58:04

There are always great intentions to open presents nicely and to resue wrapping paper but it seldom happens. However we do reuse gift bags.

We're kind of in the middle too. I'd hate for it to be all over in 5 mins tbh. Ds will open his stocking and Santa presents at his own pace, usually a mixture of playing for a bit before opening the next and dh telling him to put the more complicated ones aside til later grin. Then we go to sil's for breakfast and exchange presents with them and pil. Then we'll open presents to/ from each other ( me, ds and dh) after at late lunch smile I can't wait!

Ragwort Thu 21-Nov-13 20:06:25

We do it the Fuzzpig way too, is this a new expression grin.

Stocking presents in the morning and then other gifts throughout the day, interspersed with church, lunch, a walk, Queen's speech etc.

I find it quite overwhelming to have a frantic present-fest & I am a bit neurotic about noting down who gave what for the thank you letters grin. My 83 year old father is meticulous about using his penknife & saving wrapping paper and ribbon not that he ever wraps presents himself.

fuzzpig Thu 21-Nov-13 20:17:33

Keep going people this is really boosting my ego grin

Taffeta Thu 21-Nov-13 21:27:19

Yes it's the fuzzpig way here too. grin

Stockings in bed, follow trail downstairs to one present from Santa. Then breakfast get dressed then maybe open a few, then guests, late lunch and DC dole out presents and all we all open one at a time. Takes an hour usually.

I dont get any. <sob>
Pity party round at mine.
Bring vodka.

2kidsintow Thu 21-Nov-13 23:22:38

Stocking/sack gifts, the girl just open together.

Tree gifts (something from girls to each other and to us, our gifts to each other, friends gifts and others pre-delivered) handed out and opened separately.

BeautifulBrinySea Fri 22-Nov-13 00:18:14

I just rip into mine. Couldn't be doing with any faffing about "saving the paper", get in there and open the present already! grin
I'm a grown up. I'm 30 cough something and if anyone leaves a present within my grasp and under a tree before the actual date I WILL poke at it, shake it near my ear to see if it rattles and prod at it to see what it feels like. DH tells me off and to WAIT grin

whodunnit Fri 22-Nov-13 00:53:20

we have 2 birthdays after christmas so I salvage the biggest bits of wrapping paper for pass the parcel wrappers. Makes me feel slightly virtuous.

ChubbyKitty Fri 22-Nov-13 01:20:13

One very tiny little present may be opened just after midnight(has to be mine to him, his to me, iyswim)

That's our only rule. For us it tends to be a pair of socks or something.

All the cool stuff has to wait!wink

Squidwardtenticles Sat 23-Nov-13 21:36:19

I like the idea of opening a small gift at midnight chubby.

cantthinkofagoodone Sat 23-Nov-13 21:42:29

My family are like fuzzpig.

Dh & the ils all get given their pile of presents and get torn in. Mil doesn't wrap so you just pull out of the gift bag.

I get told off for watching everyone open & see what they're getting. Other families are weird!

fuzzpig way aswell here, I make sure the dcs know who has brought them (not that they'll remember after 5 minutes half the time) I like it taking a while and seeing their reactions to each present, I don't save wrapping paper or make them play with toys though confused

I don't do stockings, I am doing a xmas eve box though so I suppose thats similar?

mumtoone1 Sat 23-Nov-13 22:20:13

Our routine is..

Get up approx 7am
DS opens stocking, then his presents (30 mins)
Me and DH open presents
Then we have chocolate and bacon rolls or similar

Later in the day we go to inlaws and we exchange presents ( Another 30 mins)

Days nicely spread out that way smile

princesscupcakemummyb Sat 23-Nov-13 22:52:22

wow op i couldnt do what your cousins children do anyway what we usually do is let the children have all their presents in one go on xmas morning so we can take photos and its only me and my hubby who buy for our children but this year weve decided that our 2 daughters can have their stockings first then while they have those we can get dinner on and then bring their presents into the living room its never a mad rush my girls are very patient smile and dc3 is a newborn so he wont be in a hurry to unwrap his grin

FreakoidOrganisoid Mon 25-Nov-13 20:07:45

Stockings opened in my bed.

Then get dressed and have breakfast.

Then dc hand out presents one at a time to be opened. All watch them being opened but no enforced play. I try to write a list of who gets what from whom but usually get confused.

Squidwardtenticles Mon 25-Nov-13 20:18:23

I couldn't do what my cousin does because i think it's mean. But it's her Christmas.

My family open Santa presents and presents from parents, plus stockings, in the morning (I take my time, brother and sister usually mad dash to see who can be first).

Then all morning playing/chilling out/whatever. Then Christmas dinner in the early evening. Then in the evening (as we usually don't sit down to dinner until 5/6pm) my OH comes over (we live together in term time but I live with my parents in the holidays until next year), and we open presents to each other, we open family presents - i.e siblings presents to each other and parents -as well as presents from grandparents, aunts and uncles etc. We live 200 miles from them all so they send presents beforehand and they go under the tree.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now