Total Spend this Christmas is...

(74 Posts)
mumtoone1 Thu 14-Nov-13 12:11:20

£850.00 according to my spreadsheet that includes 1 DS (including all stocking fillers) and 15 family members. I think thats quite good.

I was going to get DS a nexus 7 but then decided to get an ipad air for the 3 of us to share so thats included in the above figure.

Christmas food wise, my dinner has been paid with M&S vouchers I get for free every year and I'm saving up morrisons vouchers to give me a £40 christmas bonus to by remainder nibbles for Christmas/boxing day. I'll also have a £25.00 morrisons christmas bonus from my mother in law who has been collecting week 5 onwards for me which will go towards my new year eve spend.

I also still have £30 in M&S Vouchers to use smile

How you all getting on?

ZombieMonkeyButler Thu 14-Nov-13 17:23:47

I am nowhere near having finished my shopping but would estimate somewhere in the region of £1500 all in. That's with 3 DC, a very small extended family and hosting one day with food & drink for my brother, sisters and their partners & DC.

CrazyOldCatLady Thu 14-Nov-13 19:00:36

We're hosting for 6 adults and 2 kids, buying pressies for those plus another 4 kids, and giving homemade scarves, marmalade and\or bikkies to various other people. My grocery budget goes nuts for the whole month though because I tend to treat us quite a lot, and also I'll be baking a load of stuff for a charity cake sale in work.

It looks like we'll come in around the €1000 mark, including the extra on the grocery budget and trips to see Santa and Christmas markets.

KungFuBustle Thu 14-Nov-13 19:09:14

DS's toys and DH brings us too about £150 on gifts. But I have used tesco boost and vouchers.

Food is about £70 (only three of us) plus £50 petrol for visiting.

We only do token gifts and stuff DS has made for extended family.

I would love a budget of £1000. With that I'd have a fancy dinner and spend more on decorations.

OneUp Thu 14-Nov-13 19:21:50

I think it'll be around £150 for presents, probably around £62 for the food shop (I've already started to put bits away for that), £30 for tree and decorations as we're just starting out.

About £242 total I think.

Kelly281 Thu 14-Nov-13 19:49:44

Present shopping will total near £1000 once finished. Food shopping will be a further £200 (m&s pre-ordered, plus nibble treats etc). Days out I imagine will total £150.

It's a lot, but it's my favourite time of the year so I always feel it's money well spent.

dementedma Thu 14-Nov-13 20:42:00

Haven't added it up but have saved a lot by using reastie's thread.
We have 3 teen/adult dcs so will spend about £200 on each of them. Then have mum and sis on my side who get decent pressies, and assorted siblings on both sides who get a token gift. Don't buy for oldest nephews and nieces any more, just the two youngest. Then we each have a secret Santa in work.
Add in stockings and then food for Christmas eve and Christmas dinner and we will spend over £1,000

mindlessmama Thu 14-Nov-13 22:01:44

It's amazing to see how different people budget for Christmas. I too am pleased it only comes around once a year!
we have 19 children to buy for (disadvantage to a big family - they are almost all nieces or nephews!) as well as 20+ adults. This doesn't include DH or DSs and me. Have suggested we do secret Santa for the last few years but seems to be falling of deaf ears...
Big bulk order from the book people for all of the children = £60.
Adult gifts found online clearance or sales and handmade bits = just under £200
Food shop will be covered by nectar points although I'm stocking up now.
Expecting DH, 2x DSs and My gifts will total to a couple of hundred. If I can get it all under £500 I'd be chuffed but think a few last min things will crop up (tree/ wrapping paper) that will make the budget shoot up.
See you in all the frugal money saving threads in Jan!

MabliD Thu 14-Nov-13 22:31:14

£600 including presents for DD, 2 nephews and 7 friends' kids, my parents, DH's parents and step mum, my sister and DH's 7 siblings, one adult friend and DH! Also includes food and a trip on the santa train, but not whatever DH decides to get me.

Nearly £200 went on DH's present, so the bargain thread really saved my bacon! Used a lot of reward points too (advantage/nectar).

sweetsomethings Thu 14-Nov-13 22:56:46

About £700 on my ds and £300 on relatives and food so £1000 all in .

Aarow Thu 14-Nov-13 23:42:12

£240 on decorations. We actually spent more than £1000 on decorations/tree/lights this but that was all because we lost everything todo with Christmas on Boxing Day last year (a house fire), and was buying back what we had through the insurance, meaning that it doesn't count as we didn't pay for them.

Of the £240, £10is on general decorations which we didn't have covered for insurance or wanted to buy more of. £135 on the 3DC, £25 on the soon to be baby, the rest on DH (£20) and then we have a rule of gifts under £3 on a secret Santa in the family, plus a few token gifts to the rest and bulk books for the kids, so about £50 total on the kids inside the family.

Then, £60 on the Xmas meal (the total cost of the meal split etweennthe families coming).

So £300 for food (the whole meal has been bought and will be delivered just before Xmas) and presents and decorations for us spent.

Then, to see Christmas markets and fairs, and to go ice skating, another £100.

So £400.

raisah Fri 15-Nov-13 03:47:10

£40 for hamper food & baskets as I don't celebrate it but have people who do that I buy for. grin|

My spending for Eid increases but nothing in the realms of whats quoted upthread. I buy my dc a set of clothes & one medium present and a stocking type bag of smaller gifts. We buy for the family kids but do food gifts for families, have a nice meal and visit family / friends. We focus on having fun rather than accumalating a big pile of gifts that I have no room to store decently.

Hurrah, someone else with a Christmas spreadsheet! My friends all laugh at me for having one grin

I have spent roughly £250 on presents for my 3 DC. By the time I have finished getting bits and bobs as stocking fillers it will probably be £300. Presents for the rest of the family and friends come to about £200, so a total of £500 on presents.

Food won't be a huge amount this year as we are at the inlaws' for Christmas Day. Maybe an extra £100 on top of our normal shop?

Allowing another £100 for outings I think it will be a total of £700ish.

goldie81 Fri 15-Nov-13 07:03:45

I'm thinking spread sheet is an amazing idea!! Think I will be doing that net yr! So easy with a phone to click and spend!

losersaywhat Fri 15-Nov-13 07:29:44

I think it will be about £1500
Roughly £800 on presents
£190 on Still game tickets
£500 on a puppy that we pick up on Boxing Day :-) cant wait. A wee pal for the dog we already gave.

Witco Fri 15-Nov-13 07:37:00

I haven't even thought about it all yet!

SlicedLemon Fri 15-Nov-13 08:00:15

I am with you Witco. I have just started to think about xmas. Yesterday I spent £20 on some Xmas gifts.

Shinyshoes1 Fri 15-Nov-13 08:06:17

I dread to think ... I'd say roughly £1800.00 that's
My DP
My 3 DC's
Inlaws
Niece
Nephews
Confectionary and SOME food
Will probably spend another £200. On panto tickets the rest of the food and drink

Realistically it'll be around £2000.00 .... I do save all year though so it isn't money I have to find and I'm not getting in debt with it

archfiend Fri 15-Nov-13 08:10:39

Probably around £650 all in (I have a spreadsheet too - joy!). That includes food (topped up with various vouchers), presents for around 12 family members and friends plus us 3, and 3 December birthdays.

chanie44 Fri 15-Nov-13 08:15:31

I think my spend will be under £500, but I hunt out bargains so the value of everything will be higher.

Our children are 3 and 1 and don't need much anyway, as they will get lots from family.

StupidFlanders Fri 15-Nov-13 08:16:35

I would never dare tally up my expenses.

In fact your post just made me realise how much I've spent on decorations...it's best I stop there.

Audilover Fri 15-Nov-13 08:18:48

About £950.
That's presents for 5 DC, family and our Christmas food shop is included in that amount.

MirandaWest Fri 15-Nov-13 08:21:41

Please let there be other people who don't have a precise cost for how much they've spent, don't have a spreadsheet and don't seem to be trying to get Christmas down to £3.50 and a satsuma.
I don't spend too much at Christmas but the thought of entering it all into a spreadsheet makes me feel a little sad.

Will probably get shouted down in flames for this but I can cope I think smile

Hassled Fri 15-Nov-13 08:24:45

A big fat £0 because I HAVE to get my act together and actually shop.

Day off today - I am going to break the internet with my online shopping. Will maintain a spreadsheet of sorts as I go to ensure fairness between the DCs - some are much easier to buy for than others. I just have to remember to name the file something really boring so they don't go snooping.

hyenafunk Fri 15-Nov-13 08:33:51

Probably about £600 on 3DC presents. £200 on decorations (we buy a real tree&wreath every year which is £80 and this year I got materials to make my own garland, new window lights because we've used ours for 3 years now and fancied a change, lights for the tree in the front garden and a few new baubles and tree topper). £60 on Santa steam train day out. £60 on all five Christmas jumpers and eldest DC Christmas pudding hat because other two have the ones from last year. £90 on Christmas. duvets and PJs. £40 on baking stuff like the Christmas cake decorations, Christmas cookie. cutters etc.

All together just over a grand. Just have DH presents to get and his to me, 4 family members we buy for but I'm going to bake them something and give them a homemade Christmas card with photo of DC on which they always love. Food wise I've saved for the £40 Morrisons voucher and have got about £50 of saver stamps so will have to put about £40 towards the Christmas shop for the champagne most likely.

About £1200 which for 3 DC I think we've done really well grin.

Ive spent about £750 so far, that's for 3 dc, and my family, ive still got to get my dh and he's also got a special birthday over Christmas. I will probably spend around £250 on food and drink as we have family over on Christmas eve and Christmas day. Luckily ive saved all year otherwise everyone would be getting a selection box and a card smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now