Stockings...

(22 Posts)
LittleMissGreen Mon 11-Nov-13 12:23:48

Hawkmoth this year DS1 (11) has a themed cushion for his newly decorated room, not quite a cuddly toy but more useful!
DS2 (7) who is desperate for a furby, but the budget doesn't stretch that far, has a thing that looks like abit like a furby but dances to music (he loves street dance) that I picked up on sale for £2.50 in Argos.
DS3 (5) horse mad, has a fur-real snugimal(?) horse, again bought on sale.

stickysausages Sun 10-Nov-13 22:57:12

I don't usually wrap stocking fillers... but I'm going to this year to keep him in bed for wee bit longer!!

I loved waking up on Xmas morning & feeling the weight of the stocking across your legs at the end of the bed grin

2kidsintow Sun 10-Nov-13 22:46:50

My DDs have always had wrapped stuff in their stockings.
They never opened them in their rooms either - DD1 was so excited to get hers when she was a toddler that she would bring it through to show us and open it on our bed. When DD2 came along and was old enough to open her stocking, DD1 would bring her through to do it.

They are 9 and 12 and I fully expect them still to wake up, wake each other up and bring the stockings through to open them sitting on our bed.

On Christmas mornings when they have woken far too early, they have been known to look at the stocking, then go back to sleep until it isn't too early to come through. (Bless 'em).

As a child I remember unwrapping mine when I woke up, on my own in my room and playing with the contents or showing my sisters. I'm glad my DCs have come up with this tradition by accident.

Mind you, for a few years one or the other wouldn't want the stocking actually in their room (and certainly not on their bed) as they were worried about Father Christmas creeping around in their room. They wanted them hung on the door knob to their room so they weren't far away, but could be filled without him coming into their room. (No prob, DC - makes things easier for me anyway!)

FreakoidOrganisoid Sun 10-Nov-13 21:57:49

Missing chocolate, satsuma, bubble bath and toothbrush grin

Opened first thing, in my bed.

Only a couple of things get wrapped, the more presenty bits I suppose.

Georgie - at that age, FC clearly intends the chocolate to be for Mummy.

curiousgeorgie Sun 10-Nov-13 21:52:11

Great, chocolate coins, satsuma and some tat wink

DD2 is currently 4 months and on 100% milk so we'll see about chocolate by Christmas grin

FortyFacedFuckers Sun 10-Nov-13 21:42:54

What you have is good I also do some chocolate/fruity chewy sweets and some fruit. I wrap everything other than the sweets.

RosieBloom32 Sun 10-Nov-13 21:36:14

I think you need some sort of 'Christmas tat' - wind up toy/clockwork mouse/pop up thing to go along with the satsuma and choc coins.

Some things I wrap, some things I don't. Variety is the spice of life grin

They hang at the end of their beds and open them on our bed far too early in the morning.

FC wraps stocking contents to make the opening last longer but he wraps very drunkenly roughly in exceptionally cheap paper which is clearly meant to be ripped off, not opened carefully. That and the fact that he buys plastic tat which I would veto make it entirely clear hat he and I cannot possibly be the same person grin.

...oh, and he fills my stocking and DH's too.

lucysmam Sun 10-Nov-13 21:28:12

*toothbrush

lucysmam Sun 10-Nov-13 21:27:13

I wrap stocking gifts, it gives dd2 a chance to catch up with dd1 who races through life grin

They're quite possibly the most exciting part of the day here! (who knew you could squeal with delight over character socks, knicks, vests and a toorhbrush as dd1 did last year confused ).

They hang in the living room all through December and on Xmas eve the girls put them on the ends of their beds to be filled up by Santa and then they come and open them together in our bed while we wake up with a brew smile

CloserLook Sun 10-Nov-13 21:24:57

My ds is getting a couple of cuddly postman pat toys poking out of the top of his (ted glen and pc selby to be specific!) as that's his current obsession.

Hawkmoth Sun 10-Nov-13 21:19:26

Any ideas for cuddly toys? I did glittery Xmas penguins a few years ago but haven't got anything for this year.

LittleMissGreen Sun 10-Nov-13 21:10:20

As kids we always got a soft toy on the top of our stockings. It wasn't until we had Christmas at the step father to be's house that I realised other people didn't do that shock!
So I have continued the tradition with our family, as stockings without a 'teddy' on top look naked. Last year all the boys had a 'ninja hamster'.
Because some of the stuff they get in stockings is 'boring' e.g. new pants and socks I don't wrap them (so it isn't a disappointment on unwrapping) but anything nice I wrap up.
The boys 'expect' choc coins in their stockings too.

We open them first thing in the morning (but all together downstairs) before breakfast. We have all the big presents after lunch, so I tend to make sure there are a couple of 'time filler' presents e.g. lego in there for between church and lunch.

CloserLook Sun 10-Nov-13 21:05:09

I wrap everything except the satsuma and chocolate coins and leave an unwrapped cuddly toy poking out of the top.

I wrap in tissue paper as it's easier for my dds to open. I also think that choc coins and a satsuma are traditional in stockings (satsuma at the toe of the stocking). The dds come into our bed and open them first thing in the morning.

Your stockings sound lovely.

Hawkmoth Sun 10-Nov-13 20:24:14

Yes I wrap.

I let the DC open them upstairs as it buys precious horizontal minutes on Christmas morning.

I like to put the nicest tiny thing in the toe grin

Oh yes and ds opens his first thing, but it's downstairs with the rest of his presents, not in his bedroom.

we don't wrap stocking presents, but lots of people do. You are only missing the chocolate smile ( for your older dd at least, not sure if you let your younger one have chocolate yet).

hallowisitmeyourelookingfor Sun 10-Nov-13 19:52:28

Oh, forgot, yes I wrap everything except the orange and the chocolate coins!

hallowisitmeyourelookingfor Sun 10-Nov-13 19:50:50

You and your DH NEVER got stockings? shock

They sound fine, but we also shove in a little orange and a net of choc coins cos of tradition or something?

In our house, Father Christmas leave their stockings (well pillowcases) on the ends of their beds so they can see them as soon as they wake up. They get bought into our room to be opened first thing.

curiousgeorgie Sun 10-Nov-13 19:42:59

I'm doing stockings for my DD's for the first time this year.. (And I never got one, and neither did DH.)

Do you wrap the stuff inside them?

I've bought:

DD1 - 3

Sofia Memory Game
Baby doll bottle
Lots of play jewellery
Peppa pig mini book set
Book about animals
Some toy animals
Set of Disney princess underwear
A new cup - little mermaid
Hair clips

For DD2 (6 months)

Lots of rattles
Lots of tethers
A ball
A set of light up balls
A peppa noisy book
Three small stuffed animals

What am I missing or is that okay?

Do you open yours in the morning?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now