What theme are you doing re decorations

(40 Posts)
TheCrumpetQueen Sun 10-Nov-13 07:41:49

In regards to colours around the house/on your tree?

I'm thinking of either traditional red & gold or maybe something modern like black & gold or purple & silver.

It will be my sons first birthday on Christmas Day so we will have some birthday stuff up too!

Where are you all getting your decorations?

Clandy Sun 10-Nov-13 20:56:26

I started off pre dc's with a lovely gold theme, which I neither want it can afford to change. It's pretty and traditional. Then then dd came along and coloured her Christmas decoration in red and orange and it didn't fit but it was better than any of the others so the theme went out the window. Each year a few random dc things are added which is great. I have lovely memories of some of my childhood Christmas decorations- a total mishmash but lovely, cute little things. And this is what I want for my girls so I'm phasing out the gold and in with some child friendly decs. grin

timidviper Sun 10-Nov-13 19:12:02

Our main tree has evolved over the years. It started off with white lights and all gold decs, then a bit of copper crept in, then red and finally, now DCs have grown up, their favourites from their smaller trees have crept on too. I am even debating adding some tinsel this year!

I have a smaller tree in the dining room that is all red, red lights and red decorations and DD has a small tree with lots of pink in her room

Generally we stick to fairly traditional so lots of greenery, reds and golds

FrankieStien Sun 10-Nov-13 19:07:44

I'm doing a black and metallic Tim Burtonesque theme this year.

Oh yes salt dough too and paper snowflakes and paper lanterns. We go craft mad. Lots of dried out stuff from the beach and forest, lots of greenery.

I also have a nativity which I knitted and dd puts it on the piano. I have lots of snowglobes too which are dotted around. Vintage ones mainly.

Have you ever seen the book Lucy and Tom's Christmas? I always fancy my house will look a bit like that. Our Christmases are homemade I suppose. We make decorations out of holly, fir cones, popcorn, dried oranges and cinnamon sticks, ribbons and paper. They smell lovely and look simple and traditional. The tree has decorations from my childhood on it as well as ones my dc have made over the years. I buy the dc a decoration each year and they are allowed to choose but have v traditional tastes. DD has picked one already this year. It's a wooden snowman. The other decorations I have amassed from shopping in charity shops or on ebay. They are generally vintage. Things like honeycomb trees, crepe streamers and ancient fairy lights.

I go to a wreath making evening with the WI (think Christmas music, mince pies and mulled wine, plus an army of women with sacks of foliage and sharpened secateurs) and make two wreaths, one for indoors, one for out.

I adore Christmas.

We don't have a theme per se, but the decorations I like tend to wood, felt or wicker, and don't like tinsel or baubles on my tree. I'm not a Christian, so I avoid decorations which are overtly Christian such as angels. I have white lights though.

I prefer greenery as my other decorations, not least because I can get plenty of pine, ivy and holly for free.

My tasteful decorations will be enhanced by paperchains, salt dough decs and other creations made by the dds.

lucysmam Sun 10-Nov-13 12:43:00

We have two trees so I can indulge my neat, co-ordinated tree and the girls can do what they want with theirs from the zillions of decs we have grin

Mine this year will have home made bead candy canes, along with snowmen, sweeties and lollipops that look a bit like they're made from gingerbread and some red & gold tinsel or strings of beads maybe.

My girls will just chuck what they fancy at theirs and it'll be a very colourful explosion of a tree grin

For the ceiling I've bought a truck load of paper snowflakes and we're going to make some bits too.

My big tree is really the only co-ordinated bit of Christmas that happens here smile

I have been co ordinated with white lights for years. I upset myself last year by getting shirty with ds trying to sneak stuff on that wasn't gold or silver and the tree depressed me for the rest of christmas.

I gave ds £30 in The Range last week and we have coloured lights, a mismatch of gaudy baubles and a massive bag of tinsel. I can't wait actually!

wamabama Sun 10-Nov-13 12:28:04

I can't be doing with themes. My mother would only decorate the tree to match her decor and it was so dull.

Christmas is supposed to be fun, bright and twinkly and yes a bit gaudy and I love it. Ours is always a mixture between traditional and vintage stuff and then random more modern stuff like Nightmare Before Christmas shit. But it works, at least I think so grin. There's a lot of gingerbread people, I'm obsessed.

lade Sun 10-Nov-13 10:30:03

I like traditional, (but proper Victorian traditional, not this so called 1970s tack traditional!) with a modern twist!

So this year, lots of red, white and golds. I am very lucky that in the village where I live, we have an all year round Christmas shop, which sells traditional Christmas decorations (you know the little red toys etc) but they're quirky and interesting.

I like to stick to the colour scheme, but provide interest buy using very few plain baubles (I personally find them really boring, whether in a colour scheme, or a kaleidoscope of colours), and instead have a variety of different shapes, designs etc. Each year, my children buy me a new decoration, and that goes on the tree. I tell them a colour and they find something nice (thankfully, they have good taste!) so, lots of memories, lots of interesting items, but one that hopefully looks nice too.

MadeOfStarDust Sun 10-Nov-13 10:07:59

I like yours best tigga......

dawntigga Sun 10-Nov-13 09:34:22

Our theme this year will be:

The Bad Taste Christmas Fairy Vomited Xmas Decorations All Over The House.

KeepingXmasTraditionalTiggaxx

AaDB Sun 10-Nov-13 09:21:09

I love my tree. we have a trip out to get a real one. I put tonnes of white lights and on Christmas eve, I use orchid tubes and get real flowers. I have different ones every year; this year I fancy white freesias (I don't know if they are in season). I have lots of tea lights and light them every night I am off work. I move all toys out of the sitting room until Christmas day. It all looks very grown up until Christmas eve. I decorate the kitchen, conservatory and patio doors so it does look festive and jolly in other parts of the house.

Dh brings his office led Christmas tree home and that goes in ds's room.

AgadorSpartacus Sun 10-Nov-13 09:10:46

I'm going with a Christmas themed tree.

TheCrumpetQueen Sun 10-Nov-13 09:07:45

I love tinsel smile

normaleggy Sun 10-Nov-13 09:03:37

Yes, tinsel! I can almost hear some of the people on here fanning themselves with their copy of Good Housekeeping at the very thought of it.

MadeOfStarDust Sun 10-Nov-13 09:01:39

no theme.... just lots of colour - and tinsel!!

WaitingForMe Sun 10-Nov-13 09:01:23

Lots of greenery downstairs (mostly fake) with golds/neutrals/white in living room, navy accents on the stairs and blue/silver in the dining room.

We have a playroom upstairs with a tree the kids decorate. They got a huge cardboard castle last Christmas so I'm thinking we'll get some tinsel for that.

Anything the boys make at school goes where they choose. I'm happy for a cardboard fairy to go on the living room tree.

lunar1 Sun 10-Nov-13 08:54:00

Main tree is dr Seuss themed, red and lime green with a bit of gold. Then a second one for the children to decorate.

marriedinwhiteisback Sun 10-Nov-13 08:51:53

Mine's usually green involving trees, holly and mistletoe. The baubles, collected over many years are red and gold although for the new house I might go and get matching silver ones. Now the DC are grown-up we have sophisticated plain lights grin. And for extra grown upness I'm putting lights on our manicured bay trees outside the house grin
But the reallly really exciting bit is the christmas day birthday OP. We have one of those. Now how are you doing that and where's your special place for the birthday cards going to be and are you buying him an extra present because he missed it all last year. We always have birthday cake at tea-time and candles and do the birthday presents then. We've always found Christmas is even more special because of it. Has yours got a christmassy first or second name we went for the third name. But ours is 19 this year grin

Our theme is "explosion of colour" - the tree has multicoloured lights and a random collection of decorations collected over the years. The only rule is no garlands of any description on it, just things that hang individually from branches. The rest of the house is done in line with existing colour schemes in that room, so red and gold in lounge/dining room which have yellow walls, blue in the kitchen to match crockery. Multi coloured lights in the hedge outside the front door.

The dc have coloured mini trees in their room pre lit they are blue and pinkgrin but they have so much more fun than I would doing the downstairs tree that I let them smile I do move things if needs be like last year when I supervised from sofa due to just coming out of hospital. because I couldn't get up it was only later on that I realised they had left a whole side of the tree with nothing ongrin

TheCrumpetQueen Sun 10-Nov-13 08:40:56

It*

TheCrumpetQueen Sun 10-Nov-13 08:40:38

I isn't going to be a boring strict theme hmm sad

blibblibs Sun 10-Nov-13 08:34:57

DCs don't get anywhere near the tree grin

In my defence they do have a small tree each that they throw decorations at and this gets put in their bedroom smile

We were burgled one year just before christmas (and before DCs so had spare cash!) and to cheer myself up we bought a 7ft tree and all new decorations for it. I picked silver, glass and purple and I loved my tree. This was about 7 years ago and last year DH told me he'd never liked it because it didn't look traditional enough for him.

So the themed changed last year and since we couldn't afford to do it all I stuck with the silver and glass and added traditional green and red. I got a box of green and red baubles pretty cheap and a few other bits form M&S 3for2 offer. I will need to add more to it this year and since its a big tree probably for a few years yet smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now