10 yr old girls.what are you getting yours?

(117 Posts)
MikeLitoris Sat 09-Nov-13 13:48:44

Dd is having a nexus tablet so just need a few other things.

So far I have a jacket she liked. Will also be getting clothes and trainers.

She doesn't really like board games, lots of craft stuff from last year not been used.

Looking for a few ideas around the £20 mark.

Phoebe47 Tue 12-Nov-13 18:52:49

I think it is up to three what she buys her children for Christmas and how much she spends. I couldn't afford to spend that much money but my children still have a lovely Christmas and they are happy with what they get. I do think children need to understand that they cannot have everything they would like and that they have to wait for some things (or not get them at all!). However, three does what she does and she should not have people being rude to her on here because they disapprove of what she does. Live and let live. I buy what I can afford and some people spend a lot more than I do. As long as my children are happy I am happy. We always have a lovely Christmas and the children love their presents and are happy with them.

MikeLitoris Tue 12-Nov-13 18:09:12

I just cant get worked up about what others buy tbh.

I love buying for my dc but they see that we work really hard for what we have and they know that it is a treat. They are not spoilt brats as some people here will call them. They never cry or beg for stuff and certainly dont expect anything handed to them on a plate.

I think we are teaching them that if you want something in life then you get a job and work until you csn afford that thing. The older two know we dont buy on credit and have no credit cards.

I also dont necessarily agree with only buying things that will get used all the time. To me Christmas is about having fun. I buy things that will make them laugh.

So my point is I dont give a shit what you all buy but you need to give me ideas what to buy mine grin

BitOutOfPractice Tue 12-Nov-13 17:53:57

YY OP grin

Mine's getting a nose job as well

DumSpiroSpero Tue 12-Nov-13 17:50:43

On that note Cambridge, I should probably clarify that my lists upthread are lists of ideas - not of what DD is actually getting grin!

CambridgeBlue Tue 12-Nov-13 17:39:27

I have been quite depressed reading this and other similar threads, not because I can't afford to spend what some people do (although we're far from loaded) but because of the lists of stuff many people are buying. Is it only me that hates the idea of people in general, but especially kids, having such a vast quantity of possessions? Does anyone really need quite so much, especially all the endless gadgets and stocking fillery tat?

I am far from minimalistic, I like to shop as much as the next person, but I am horrified by just how much some people are spending for the sake of spending it seems - it just sits badly with me and I think it's sending out all sorts of wrong messages to kids and setting up a worrying precedent for the future.

My DD would love half the stuff on these lists and she will get some of it (we tend to do one big present and a stocking of smaller ones plus she gets plenty from friends and relations) but even if I was really rich I don't think I could bring myself to just keep buying and buying in the pursuit of... I don't know what?

I am well aware I sound bitter and judgy but I just find it all really distasteful.

HolidayArmadillo Tue 12-Nov-13 17:31:28

DD 10 so far has a Teksta electronic dog, Moshi monsters mall, hair dryer, brushes, clips and bobbles, key stage 2 workbooks (I know, I'm such a horrible mum!) and a handful of DVDs (classics including grease, return to oz and labyrinth).

ProfYaffle Tue 12-Nov-13 17:06:45

I got this from another similar thread but have a look at hell buddies They do dolls based on minecraft skins or bespoke portrait dolls. I've ordered a couple of the latter for our 2 dds, v excited to see them!

MikeLitoris Tue 12-Nov-13 17:05:00

13yos are probably having boob jobs and sports cars bitout grin

BitOutOfPractice Tue 12-Nov-13 16:32:25

You marvellous marvellous people. You have solved all my worries! thanks

Now...what about 13YOs

BitOutOfPractice Tue 12-Nov-13 16:01:33

I am about to read back and shameless farm this thread for ideas

All my DD has asked for is some crimpers confused

HeirToTheIronThrone Tue 12-Nov-13 16:01:24

Hmm. I have an almost-10 DN and have got her a set of Shakespeare stories (she loves reading) and a kit to try and grow a world-record tallest sunflower. Looking at your posts I think this is a bit young now (though she is quite a young 10 I think) Will she hate these gifts?? Have no experience of 10 year old girls since I was one!

CockyMcChicken Tue 12-Nov-13 15:53:53

I have got DD (9) so far:

A hudl
A schleich horse stable and horse toy thingies.
A monster high design your own monster set.

And I am going to get her some lush bath bombs, nail art pens, slushy maker cup, Jacqueline Wilson books and a one direction onesie.

She never really asks for anything and would be quite happy with some eons and paper so she can draw and design things.

DumSpiroSpero Tue 12-Nov-13 15:34:26

I do love indulging DD too - and because we just have her she does mostly get what she wants, just not everything.

TBH if I had more money to spend on her I would, but it would be on experiences rather than 'stuff'.

For the last 2 years she's had concert tickets for her birthday, and we've had a girly weekend in London (West End show, overnight stay, meal out and some kind of daytime activity) at the beginning of the summer hols which she loves.

I wouldn't hesitate to spend more on that kind of thing if I could, but more actual material things wouldn't feature.

I came to find a thread to get ideas for dd and have managed to come away with about two ideas and a really crap feeling about what I'm getting the kids. I had thought I was doing really well too sad.
Thank goodness for spoiling grandparents.

Marne Tue 12-Nov-13 14:30:10

I get a rush out of it too, just wish dh would feel the rush too grin

ThreeMyselfAndI Tue 12-Nov-13 14:26:51

we have asked and no, for them holiday time is more exciting as it's with nana and papa its something special that they do.

we are saving though to do a long holiday in florida for 4 weeks it will take us about 3 years to afford for the 5 of us so sacrifices will be made closer to that time.

none of the amount boils down to dcs its on me and dh, I guess we get a rush out of filling the place with presents for them.

Marne Tue 12-Nov-13 14:25:30

We spend £30-£40 on birthdays, mainly because their birthdays are not that long after Christmas and because we think that is a fair amount. If I had more money I would not buy them more but maybe buy them slightly better gifts (dd would like a kindle but i cant justify buying one this year so she's getting some books). With my dd's i think its more about the amount of gifts rather than what they cost (i guess its more for me as i like seeing their faces when they come down to a pile of presents) but like i say 'most only cost £5 each' so not expensive gifts.

I wouldn't but the things you have mentioned even if i did have the money as i don't think a 10 and 8 year old needs those things, but if i was loaded i would happily buy them a pony or a posh playhouse for in the garden grin.

AbiRoad Tue 12-Nov-13 14:18:28

If you asked the DC, do you think they would prefer all the christmas presents, or to have half as many anf to have the 1k saved (between 3 children) put aside, say, for a holiday with their parents?

ThreeMyselfAndI Tue 12-Nov-13 14:12:04

I am in general quite blasé with money anyway I always have been thank god dh has more sense than me.

It's really swings and roundabouts.... dds would be happy with 1/4 of what we buy but I buy more as it makes me feel good, unlike other birthdays are not a huge deal in our house £150 max and I don't do partys really, I don't take dds on holiday my parents take them to spain twice a year for a week at a time and I pay nothing towards it. me amd dh save to be able to go to vegas every 2/3 years for a week. different priorities to some of you so where some spend less we spend more and vica versa

I was not at all shocked that someone would spend £700 per child for Christmas. If money was no truly object (which is unlikely, as it generally comes at the expense of something, be it wider foreign travel, education, etc), I would have no qualms buying mine expensive quality gifts such as this or this or this for Christmas this year grin I wouldn't buy them a greater number of gifts than they are already getting though, just 'upgrade' some of the ones I do buy them.

What did shock me about three's list was the amount of computer/screen type and 'vanity' related gifts. Of course they very well might be given lots of imaginative and educational toys and books throughout the year. A couple of posts on a thread never gives the complete picture.

AbiRoad Tue 12-Nov-13 11:45:37

I think it is possible to buy a lot of things for children and for them still to appreciate the value of money etc. But I think it is harder and something that you need to actively think about and work on (much more so that if they do not have a lot of material goods). The tone of 3's posts is such that it is not really clear that she does appreciate this - her posts are quite blase (sorry cant do accents). But if she does, fair play to her (and many have said that).

MARGUERITE18 Tue 12-Nov-13 10:47:48

ThreemyselfandI = omg, why do they need so much #notagoodlifelesson but thats just IMO smile please adopt me and buy me mac makeup and an ipad lol

Altinkum Tue 12-Nov-13 10:40:26

I do think it's rude and assumption based tbh, how soupy know they aren't being taught the value of money, my children are spoilt at Xmas and birthdays, they get whatever they want and above, but they are being taught everyday life skills, be that from money to basic skills such as cleaning, cooking etc...

Just because they get material belongings, doesn't mean the parent is failing in all other aspects, I just find it assumptions and incrediy rude, expecially to be told,think of the other posters in here who can't afford etc.... Where does it end, do we have to think of poor starving children every time we eat, we live in a world that financial diversity is wide and across the board, one mans rich belongings is another mans junk, is that a true old saying.

AbiRoad Tue 12-Nov-13 09:22:01

I think 3 has taken it well, and is aware she is unusual.
I think BOF has hit the nail on the head on why it makes me uneasy, i.e. setting up high expectations and lack of appreciation for the value of money may make for real dissatisfaction in future.
I accept it is hard to get the balance right, though. We go on what others might regard as flash holidays and live in a nice house etc. I am not going to downsize or cut back on holidays in order to help the DCs appreciate the value of money- I try to get them to see those things as my reward for my hard work (while also pointing out that there is a lot of luck involved becuase others work just as hard/harder in different types of job for less money). But I do make sure that they dont get everything they ask for, particularly if I think it is not suitable for their age or is over-priced, and that their pile of presents at CHristmas and birthdays is vaguely within the normal range (even if towards the top end of that range). It helps a lot that DH is quite tight!

Marne Tue 12-Nov-13 09:18:33

I intend to add a few books to my list for dd1 as books don't count in my budget, we were going to get dd1 a kindle but after working out the cost of buying it and buying the books my dd likes its a lot cheaper just to buy her the box sets from book people ( as they are so cheap ), am thinking of getting her the hunger games books and a few more Percy Jackson ( I need to see which ones she already has first ), she has also asked for a calculator and some fluffy socks ( because I bought myself some yesterday ). I get carried away every year but I try and buy what I think will be used all year, I know. She would be happy with just a pokemon game but it would only last a month before she completes it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now