Family gifts

(20 Posts)

We are on a stupidly low Xmas budget this year. I was thinking of buying a gift per family. Just wanted to know whether that's ok to do? Would you be happy to receive one?

Also I have no idea what to buy for this? Any suggestions appreciated.

makemineapinot Thu 07-Nov-13 16:16:46

Depending on budget you could get vouchers for the whole family to go to cinema, restaurant etc , or make up a family hamper with a Xmas DVD, popcorn, nice treats, drinks etc.

Luggage16 Thu 07-Nov-13 16:17:28

thats def ok to do! I have bought my brothers family a joint gift (ice lolly maker). That way they get something decent rather than 3 cheap toys smile

Ooh hampers. Love this. Not sure mine would turn out looking lovely though.

Luggage16 Do you mean like a mould?

raisah Thu 07-Nov-13 17:55:42

I always make hampers for festive occasions & I put in this basket from Home Bargains:

www.homebargains.co.uk/products/5836-christmas-luxury-hamper-basket.aspx

Tea
coffee
hot choc
mini cakes
chocolates
mince or apple pies (depending on receipient)
biscuits
jam
posh soft drink
& any other treats on offer

raisah Thu 07-Nov-13 18:00:18

Wrapped in cellophane & a big bow from Baker Ross:

http://www.bakerross.co.uk/festive-cellophane-rolls

if I can't find baskets to make my hampers, then I use a box covered in nice wrapping paper.

raisah Thu 07-Nov-13 18:00:48
shinybaubles Thu 07-Nov-13 18:14:40

Board games.

SicknSpan Thu 07-Nov-13 18:19:42

This is a fab idea. I hope some of my extended family do this it would be great! We'd really appreciate receiving a family gift so I am sure other families would too.

Like the family movie night hamper idea.

How about:
Hamper for Italian/Chinese/Indian/Mexican food theme night with the dry goods and a DVD of authentic tunes
Family board game - pictionary or uno or compendium with backgammon etc
Candy floss maker
Pop corn maker

These would be nice ways to make January seem a bit more special too as it can be a bit flat sometimes! Having a family night part way through to look forward to would be brill.

ToastyStoat Thu 07-Nov-13 19:16:10

OmG thank you so much for the movie night hamper idea! I want to get somethimg for my friend, and her son, but don't want to leave out her husband who I don't know so well. Perfect!

Like this?

http://www.domu.co.uk/shef-fat-free-hot-air-popcorn-maker-popcorn-machine.html?gclid=CNqf5cKy07oCFdPItAodJwYA2A

with named cola bottle each and a film?

raisah They sound lovely. I want one! smile

SicknSpan Loads of ideas. Cheers wine

SicknSpan Thu 07-Nov-13 19:30:24

That's a bargain- perfect.

We do this with a friend every year. Past ideas have included:

a family board game with snacks to eat whilst playing

Mexican night, with tortilla chips, chilli sauce, jalepenos, salsa etc

Baking camembert in a pot, with posh crackers, pickles, wine etc

Sundae glasses, syrups, sprinkles, flakes

nice beakers, twirly straws, nice cordials

a fondue set, chocolate, marshmallows etc

movie night - film, coke, popcorn, pick and mix

raisah Thu 07-Nov-13 19:39:06

Oh and a box of coffee bags are a must in hampers for the novelty effect. I bought these for £2:80 from Tescos & they were a hit with all who received a box.

coffeeperfection.com/

Remust Camembert one sounds like a fab little gift

Just checked the link raisah What a great idea. Never seen them before

karven Wed 15-Jan-14 09:35:27

Although Christmas is over, but the next time you buy a gift you can look at this site: www.toyswill.com, I often on this site to buy gifts for my daughter, and I continued for two years. Here's something very good, including products, services, prices, and so on.

King125 Mon 14-Apr-14 07:23:41

If gift will be helpful for everyone or everyone will have its need then i am sure everybody will welcome this gift.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now