Has anyone ever bought the Lakeland olive wood nativity set?

(12 Posts)

I've coveted this for 10 years but at £99 it's way beyond my budget. My lovely dad gave me the money for it this week so I ordered it and collected it today. I haven't got it all out yet but the box is pretty bashed and the contents wrapped, albeit very neatly, in kitchen roll.

I can't help wondering if someone else has returned it. I know £100 isn't a high amount but it is for me and is way more than I would usually spend on something like this so wanted it to be brand new, IYSWIM...

WaitMonkey Thu 07-Nov-13 16:40:41

As soon as I read your title, I thought no but I covert one, and you said the same thing in your first sentence !smile

How rubbish though. sad Lakeland CS is brilliant, so you won't have a problem returning it and getting a new one. Am very envy

The couple of pieces I did take out are lovely. So smoooooth and tactile. I remember sitting in work with a colleague years ago and remarking on its loveliness. Never ever thought I'd own it in a million years.

I just wondered if this was how they came and, if not, does it actually matter if the pieces are all ok?

homeworkmakesmemad Thu 07-Nov-13 17:03:36

It's not as beautiful, but I know my kids would love this one and I have been coveting it for years...
Advent Stable

bsc Thu 07-Nov-13 17:09:32

We have the Haba wooden one-it's gorgeous, and about 70£
I think for £100 it should arrive in perfect condition though!

Kettricken Thu 07-Nov-13 18:28:51

Watching with interest, I have always wanted this set too!

DH thinks I should take it back. It should be in perfect nick, shouldn't it? And I'll need the box to hand it down to my grandchildren in....

Clutterbugsmum Thu 07-Nov-13 19:06:22

I would take it back and get one in a new box.

I have the advent stable one (and have had for about 4yrs). It packed in polystrene and bubble wrap. I have to say I have never bought anything from them that's been wrapped in kitchen paper they have always used bubble wrap and or polystrene.

Lakeland just replied to email, very apologetic and are holding a replacement for me in my local store. God bless them! smile

Rainie73 Mon 29-Dec-14 17:02:51

Have just picked this up in the sale after also coveting it for many, many years...... Mine is also wrapped in kitchen paper within a printed cardboard box (not beaten up though). Is this therefore standard? I must say, for the money, and the beauty of the thing I am a little surprised that is is not better packaged - after all it is going to spend a great deal of its life in the box!
Was your replacement also packaged this way?

Davros Mon 29-Dec-14 18:30:27

I want one now! I have been coveting the royal Doulton one which is reduced by £99.95 to £100 on Scott's of stow. Stop me!

Davros Mon 29-Dec-14 18:31:40

Can't see it on Lakeland, help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now