Skateboards- help I'm clueless!

(8 Posts)
Retropear Thu 07-Nov-13 10:46:26

Kids are 10 and 9.

Don't want to spend a fortune but want decent ones.

Any recommendations?

Tia

MillyRules Thu 07-Nov-13 19:58:50

Hi....go on "Rollersnakes" website....its good for skateboards, skateshoes, kneepads, helmets, elbow pads. Don't forget to make sure you buy a board fully fitted or else if you just get a deck you will need to get wheels, bearings etc etc.

MyBoilsAreFab Thu 07-Nov-13 20:01:00

Another website is Route One. DS1 is skateboard mad - we have spent a lot of money on them over the years! If you give an idea of what you want to spend, I could ask him for recommendations if you like.

MillyRules Thu 07-Nov-13 22:05:15

MyBoils.....my son is now 21 and has been skateboarding since he woas little. He now organises Skate Competitions with live music and travels round the country to different skate parks. Bless em!!! When they love it, they really really love it don't they, even as they get older. You would be surprised just how many older lads and dads are out there boarding on the weekends.

MyBoilsAreFab Fri 08-Nov-13 09:21:41

Milly mine has been skateboarding since he was about 9 and he loves it. We are in Scotland, couple of skateparks nearby, there is a local skate group who travel to different skateparks. He has entered competitions too. It is such a great thing, really good exercise, sociable, and I definitely think he will keep it up as he gets older.

mindlessrascal Sat 23-Nov-13 19:28:15

Hi, dont know if it's too late to reply, but try skatehut website, unfortunately (for you!) You'll need to spend upwards of £50 to get a skateable board iyswim. Speeddemons is a good beginner brand, other brands are element, flip, antihero. The cheap boards in asda etc are pretty much a false economy, they break easily and tbh dont roll very well; the bearings (inside the wheel) are of a lower quality. Skated for 17 years, hope your dcs like it!

mysteryfairy Sun 24-Nov-13 07:24:16

You could get Penny boards? Quite retro but blissfully easy to buy. My 17 year old DS has a selection of boards but also uses one of these. About £80 all in.

Grannyma1 Mon 26-Oct-15 14:50:36

I'm looking to buy a scateboard for my 10yr old grandson, and don't know where to start. He has a large board but I wouldn't say he can skate..he seems to think that a smaller board would be easier to do tricks but from what I've read I'm not sure that's correct.. I'd appreciate any advice..thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now