11/12/13 year old girls - the definitive Christmas gift thread.

(63 Posts)
Earlybird Sun 03-Nov-13 15:58:16

I keep thinking I must get started Christmas shopping for dd - to avoid the crowds and craziness that comes with leaving it 'til December - but there is one problem: I have no clue what to get her! I am usually pretty good with ideas, but not this year. Ugh.

Anything she 'needs' (clothes, etc) mostly need to be bought with her input because she has her own style, and increasingly dislikes things I think are lovely. Also, because she has grown so much in the last year, anything she needs, she needs now, and it can't wait until Christmas. The 'want' category seems to skew toward technology (which I am not opposed to, but would like to consider other things too), or items that are £££.

I am hoping for some inspiration and brilliant ideas from others here. What are you planning to get for your girls? Big and small pressies, stocking stuffers etc - all ideas welcome!

tanya1312 Mon 17-Nov-14 06:42:56

My 11.5 yr old is getting
Wreck it journal
Girls year book
Kindle
Tablet
Fox satchel bag (off bargain thread)
Pretty scarves (off bargain thread )
Elsa and Anna rag dolls
Pamper hamper
Stationary
Lip balms
Hair chalks
Clothes designer book
Dvd
Costume jewellery
Socks/pj's/underwear
Milton Keynes monopoly
Perfume
Can't think what else x

clearsommespace Mon 17-Nov-14 05:30:21

Any 2014 ideas for this thread please?
The wreck it journal idea is perfect for my 12 yr old neice.

mrsruffallo Thu 13-Nov-14 18:22:58

Just marking my place; this is a great thread!

My DD is 11.6 and she gave me a list grin . She knows what she likes, her presents have been bought (it's 14 yo DS who I have trouble buying for)

She's had a Young Driver lesson (so did DS) she loved it.
Bottle of perfume (she chose) Paid with my Boots points
Gift voucher New Look - she can chose a few more ££ than her usual Primark stuff
Earrings (had her ears pierced in July)
Books
Nail polish
Make-up pallette
Tangle Teaser brush
M&S pants (she's a tiny size 6 so likes the ladies pants rather than the girls which do fit her)
Kipling handbag -she chose

And her Christmas Eve Hamper
And her stocking

NoComet Mon 02-Dec-13 21:27:50

DD almost 13 nexus 7 (which I hope she hates, so I can swap it for my fire, which annoys me). She won't the screen is stunning.
Primark Xmas t shirt
Onsie
Socks
Jumper
Wreck this journal
And long sweet types for stockings

DD1(15) baby G watch, headphones(DH is sorting), (coat, sort of as she's actually been wearing it to school, it might count as necessary clothing).
Tshirt, onisie, socks, jumper and journal too.

First instalment of the iPhone fund. Second to be taken off birthday budget, third and final one for (hopefully) getting 6Bs and A for maths at GCSE. This being her sixth form offer.

MARGUERITE18 Mon 02-Dec-13 20:51:40

what about a miss glossybox subscription?

BeGoodElliot Tue 19-Nov-13 13:02:30

Hoping to get some good ideas from this thread, I have a just turned 13yr old and really struggling with what to get her. Used up all my ideas on her birthday last month and she is not much use either as there is nothing she really wants!

Thanks to this thread she now has a fox satchel! This is the hardest age ever!!

SunshineAndPeardrops Tue 19-Nov-13 10:20:18

My sisters (aged 11 & 12) like doing these:-

Foil Pictures

They've got more patience than me, that's for sure!!!
grin

alpinemeadow Tue 19-Nov-13 09:29:08

Some great ideas here - thank you!
At this stage I can only add sequin art sets - popular to do on a lazy 'day in'. And ask if anyone has any other ideas for art 'sets' suitable for this age group - ie 'make/draw this thing' rather than more serious sets of paints?

JellySnakesAndLadderedTights Mon 18-Nov-13 16:05:32

This scrabble set is quite cool! A good price, and for a very, very good cause:-

Breast Cancer Pink Scrabble (9.99)

catpaws Wed 13-Nov-13 19:07:55

Hi sadsometimes,

She is 11 going on 14!

sadsometimes Wed 13-Nov-13 15:28:33

How old was she catpaws?

catpaws Tue 12-Nov-13 10:11:51

Last Christmas I bought my dd a sewing machine (less than £100 from John Lewis, not too complicated) and a pattern for a top. We then went shopping just after Christmas so she could choose the fabric. I failed O level needlework big time so we both had fun trying to understand the pattern! She was so proud of the end result, wore it quite a bit and has since used the sewing machine to make all kinds of things. The staff at JL have been as helpful as ever, guiding us towards patterns that we might just be able to understand!

I hated getting clothes for christmas when I was a kid so I try to buy clothes that are a bit out of the ordinary. When dd was younger, and still believed in Father Christmas, each year I used to buy a really pretty dress from Monsoon (or the Fairy Shop, as we call it in our house), wrap it in special wrapping paper with lots of sparkly bits and write a card in wobbly writing. The card would be from FC and say that Mrs Christmas had helped him choose a special dress for her.

This year I am getting her:
Furry slipper boots
Scarves (not the woollen variety)
Pastels and art paper
Body shop parcel of smellies, lip balms etc.
'Voucher' for boden
Hair accessories (she soooo wants hair straighteners. Not happening)
Patchwork book and squares
Label maker (she has wanted one of these for ages. Bizarrely, I remember wanting one when I was her age too). I guess this means her walls, drawers, cupboards,furry animals, door, bed etc will be covered in labels by Boxing Day....

OodaresingingoftheDoctorDonna Sun 10-Nov-13 21:37:28

Dd1&2 are getting a popcorn maker and flavourings/corn/bags etc.
Dd1 is getting a new phone for her birthday.
Both are getting cinema vouchers.

Earlybird Sun 10-Nov-13 21:25:45

As we're all casting about for ideas: I've been meaning to post that one of dd's favourite gifts last year was an electric piano keyboard, along with a beginner's book of Disney movie theme songs. She mentioned yesterday that it was one of her best gifts ever.

sadsometimes Thu 07-Nov-13 19:26:37

I was so unsure about the sewing machine that I asked her in a roundabout way if she would like one. She thinks it would be amazing grin so thank you so much.

Iamanorangesmartie Thu 07-Nov-13 17:21:01

I've got my 14 yr old niece some jelly belly bamboozle beans. A bit like Russian roulette with jelly beans, some interesting flavours not to get, like vomit and dog food. Good for a stocking I thought

dingit Thu 07-Nov-13 16:57:50

They sound great presents Stressed. We don't spend anywhere near what some spend. Last year was the most ever, as dd got a kindle fire, and ds a bike. But we don't spend just for the sake of it, and they seem happy enough.

stressedHEmum Thu 07-Nov-13 16:01:16

A Whispering Dragon is one f those earrings that wrap around your hear so that it looks like the dragon is whispering to you. Like this.

most of her stuff is made by me. She may or may not get the kindle, depending on how the money goes, she might just get some new Pjs and a couple of books, instead. Depends how things pan out with the 5 of them. Voucher will just be a tenner one to pay for her regular brow and lip waxblush. I always feel really mean when I read these threads

She is likely to get only the violin for her birthday with a couple of charity shop books and an hm bookmark with some nice text on it.

sadsometimes Thu 07-Nov-13 11:15:22

My dd is 14 a few days before Xmas and isn't getting as much as that, I feel mean now! What's a whispering dragon?

stressedHEmum Thu 07-Nov-13 10:38:53

DD will be 14 a few days after Christmas. She's not getting nearly as much as others on here but this is what she''ll have between both days

a whispering dragon
some bits and bobs of cheapy jewelry
some homemade earrings
vampire diaries DVDs
home knitted frilly scarf - a bit like the one above in purples/lilacs
hand monogrammed hankies in lilac and purple
knitted wrist warmers
nice mug with snowman soup
kindle
sweets
toiletries that she needs anyway
voucher for local hair/eyebrow wax place
bigger violin

sadsometimes Thu 07-Nov-13 09:56:13

Dithering over the sewing machine. Could be a big hit or a disappointment confused

dingit Thu 07-Nov-13 08:07:06

Lol at the ball of wool. ( my dd is getting one too)
Just added a couple of cheapies

Hair turban from Primark £1
Posh John Frieda hair stuff ( blonde) £4 ( that she would use anyway!)

May raid Primark for some more cheapies, unfortunately this doesn't work quite so well for ds.

sadsometimes Wed 06-Nov-13 22:34:10

Thank goodness for this thread. Dd2 now has a ball of wool for Xmas

Really can't think of anything else!

Her 14 year old sister will be getting a lens for her camera, necklace with her name on and clothes. Her birthday is in a couple of weeks and she is getting posh riding boots, Silver Brumby book, some make up.

Earlybird Wed 06-Nov-13 21:11:54

It is good to get the wheels turning as ideas are posted here.

Yesterday I found a little cross-the-body bag with a special pocket for a phone. It comes in a cheery print fabric, so hopefully she'll like it.

This is not an easy age. <understatement>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now