11/12/13 year old girls - the definitive Christmas gift thread.

(63 Posts)
Earlybird Sun 03-Nov-13 15:58:16

I keep thinking I must get started Christmas shopping for dd - to avoid the crowds and craziness that comes with leaving it 'til December - but there is one problem: I have no clue what to get her! I am usually pretty good with ideas, but not this year. Ugh.

Anything she 'needs' (clothes, etc) mostly need to be bought with her input because she has her own style, and increasingly dislikes things I think are lovely. Also, because she has grown so much in the last year, anything she needs, she needs now, and it can't wait until Christmas. The 'want' category seems to skew toward technology (which I am not opposed to, but would like to consider other things too), or items that are £££.

I am hoping for some inspiration and brilliant ideas from others here. What are you planning to get for your girls? Big and small pressies, stocking stuffers etc - all ideas welcome!

bestbefore Sun 03-Nov-13 21:41:52

Takver....wool looks lovely...what size needles do you need? Tia

Takver Sun 03-Nov-13 22:25:09

They're 7mm needles, bestbefore. Its inspired, you only have to do 7 stitches per row, and it grows very quickly, so perfect for less-than-patient 11 year olds!

VivaLeBeaver Sun 03-Nov-13 22:28:23

Drum kit
Ps3 game
Minecraft book
Minecraft lego
Earrings
Books
Glitter nail varnish
Fox satchel
Funky hat with ears
Soap and glory face powder....it's really light but slightly bronzing and a bit glittery.
Some Lush stuff.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 03-Nov-13 22:31:07

Oh and despicable me 2 on DVD

dingit Mon 04-Nov-13 07:48:26

Viva, where did you get the fox satchel please?

moldingsunbeams Mon 04-Nov-13 08:44:05

Superdry have some really bright satchels but we got one for £20 from a boutique type shop that is lovely.

Takver Mon 04-Nov-13 09:16:40

I know dd would like a satchel, too - I think they're definitely popular with that age group.

Theimpossiblegirl Mon 04-Nov-13 09:51:11

I've seen some lovely satchels in TKMaxx and on Ebay.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 04-Nov-13 17:44:42

Paperchase have a fox satchel which dd likes and I've also got her one from eBay.

ebay

paperchase

Have just realised the eBay one is an owl not a fox.

dingit Mon 04-Nov-13 18:27:16

I heart that paper chase one!

bestbefore Mon 04-Nov-13 22:32:09

Thanks

AuntieStella Wed 06-Nov-13 17:16:13

Here's a parallel teen/tween boys thread which might be worth reading too, as there's a high level of cross-over.

AuntieStella Wed 06-Nov-13 17:17:56

I got one of the TK Maxx satchels for DD today (and managed to remember to hide it before she came home). A good recommendation, thanks.

Earlybird Wed 06-Nov-13 21:11:54

It is good to get the wheels turning as ideas are posted here.

Yesterday I found a little cross-the-body bag with a special pocket for a phone. It comes in a cheery print fabric, so hopefully she'll like it.

This is not an easy age. <understatement>

sadsometimes Wed 06-Nov-13 22:34:10

Thank goodness for this thread. Dd2 now has a ball of wool for Xmas

Really can't think of anything else!

Her 14 year old sister will be getting a lens for her camera, necklace with her name on and clothes. Her birthday is in a couple of weeks and she is getting posh riding boots, Silver Brumby book, some make up.

dingit Thu 07-Nov-13 08:07:06

Lol at the ball of wool. ( my dd is getting one too)
Just added a couple of cheapies

Hair turban from Primark £1
Posh John Frieda hair stuff ( blonde) £4 ( that she would use anyway!)

May raid Primark for some more cheapies, unfortunately this doesn't work quite so well for ds.

sadsometimes Thu 07-Nov-13 09:56:13

Dithering over the sewing machine. Could be a big hit or a disappointment confused

stressedHEmum Thu 07-Nov-13 10:38:53

DD will be 14 a few days after Christmas. She's not getting nearly as much as others on here but this is what she''ll have between both days

a whispering dragon
some bits and bobs of cheapy jewelry
some homemade earrings
vampire diaries DVDs
home knitted frilly scarf - a bit like the one above in purples/lilacs
hand monogrammed hankies in lilac and purple
knitted wrist warmers
nice mug with snowman soup
kindle
sweets
toiletries that she needs anyway
voucher for local hair/eyebrow wax place
bigger violin

sadsometimes Thu 07-Nov-13 11:15:22

My dd is 14 a few days before Xmas and isn't getting as much as that, I feel mean now! What's a whispering dragon?

stressedHEmum Thu 07-Nov-13 16:01:16

A Whispering Dragon is one f those earrings that wrap around your hear so that it looks like the dragon is whispering to you. Like this.

most of her stuff is made by me. She may or may not get the kindle, depending on how the money goes, she might just get some new Pjs and a couple of books, instead. Depends how things pan out with the 5 of them. Voucher will just be a tenner one to pay for her regular brow and lip waxblush. I always feel really mean when I read these threads

She is likely to get only the violin for her birthday with a couple of charity shop books and an hm bookmark with some nice text on it.

dingit Thu 07-Nov-13 16:57:50

They sound great presents Stressed. We don't spend anywhere near what some spend. Last year was the most ever, as dd got a kindle fire, and ds a bike. But we don't spend just for the sake of it, and they seem happy enough.

Iamanorangesmartie Thu 07-Nov-13 17:21:01

I've got my 14 yr old niece some jelly belly bamboozle beans. A bit like Russian roulette with jelly beans, some interesting flavours not to get, like vomit and dog food. Good for a stocking I thought

sadsometimes Thu 07-Nov-13 19:26:37

I was so unsure about the sewing machine that I asked her in a roundabout way if she would like one. She thinks it would be amazing grin so thank you so much.

Earlybird Sun 10-Nov-13 21:25:45

As we're all casting about for ideas: I've been meaning to post that one of dd's favourite gifts last year was an electric piano keyboard, along with a beginner's book of Disney movie theme songs. She mentioned yesterday that it was one of her best gifts ever.

OodaresingingoftheDoctorDonna Sun 10-Nov-13 21:37:28

Dd1&2 are getting a popcorn maker and flavourings/corn/bags etc.
Dd1 is getting a new phone for her birthday.
Both are getting cinema vouchers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now