dd2 wants a horse

(16 Posts)

A brown horse with a black mane and tail and a white stripe. It will be called honey. She will write a lovely letter to santa assuring him that while it is his policy not to give animals in case they are not looked after she will look after it everyday, she has written a list of horse care, she has even offered to always give santa all her pocket money.
Think someone is going to be a smidge dissapointed on christmas morning.
Oh and could I phone the government and ask them to put a stable in our local park so she can go and look after it on her own without me driving her.

Dd1 wanted a pony every birthday and Christmas since she was 6 (as did I my entire childhood life). Last Christmas she got one! Beware, it doesn't stop there. Then they need a trailer and a 4x4 to pull it grin. Hope your DD's dreams come true smile.

karmakoala Sun 03-Nov-13 09:55:14

Sorry but we had this conversation every birthday and Christmas for years! We are now the proud owner of a 16.3 hh Appaloosa gelding (who surprisingly we all adore!) and we are looking for a second........

you people arent filling me with hope here. I always had horses as a teenager and I do miss them but will have to find a considerably better paid job if we are ever going to have one.

i bought a pony when my eldest son was born so he cant ask for a pony, this year he wants a puppy

Kinect Sun 03-Nov-13 10:04:50

Would a pony or loan or a share be an option?
Any local stables run a working livery scheme?

might look into some lessons for her later next year, I used to help at the atables when I was a bit older than her and get my ride for free)

Guitargirl Sun 03-Nov-13 10:25:21

Our local stables do an 'own your pony' day where they muck out, groom the pony, plait its mane and then have a ride at the end. It lasts about 5 hours <and isn't cheap> but may keep her going? DD (aged 6) did one over the summer holidays and I was surprised that it was the 'looking after the pony' part that she liked the most, not actually riding it.

LEMisafucker Sun 03-Nov-13 10:30:20

Can just say - I wanted a pony when i was a child, i never got one sad <looks around for sympathy>

It used to be that you could go and help out at stables etc, now i find you have to pay for that privalige even.

GemmaTeller Sun 03-Nov-13 10:42:02

Ah, we had this from DSD when she was younger, fueled by the gorgeous big horses and dinky shetland pony she encountered on our dog walks.

We too were assured she would give up her pocket money, never ask for anything again EVER in the history of the world etc.,

Two days of getting up at 7.30am to help muck out the above horses soon put paid to that idea.

OurMrsReynolds Sun 03-Nov-13 10:45:21

Could you sponsor a horse somewhere local to you? You can here, and you can go and meet it and ride it for a small fee...

A pony has been at the top of my list every year since I was 7. I'm now in my 30s and I still make sure I write "a pony" at least 5 times over scraps of paper when I visit my parents near Christmas and pin them to their kitchen walls.

I always knew deep down that I wouldn't get one, so I was never really that disappointed. I do find in my stocking most years a toy pony, though.

Does she do riding lessons? If so, speak to the stable and ask if you can pay for a day there riding and caring for her favourite pony/ponies. If not, maybe some lessons? Make some nice vouchers for her.

I also like the idea of sponsoring a pony on her behalf - maybe with a letter from Santa explaining that he can't bring live animals, but he heard of this poor pony who needed people to sponsor it to help it have the life it deserved - with a couple of days out planned to go and visit too?

CrotchStitch Sun 03-Nov-13 12:41:20

I walked my dogs very early one Christmas morning and driving home passed a small girl, 9 or 10 I would say, on a small pony trotting down the road being led by someone and with a gaggle of family alongside. The pony had ribbons on all it's leather stuff <demonstrates huge equine knowledge> and the little girl was beaming fit to burst.
This was before I even had DS but it did make me a little dewy eyed smile

BeQuicksieorBeDead Sun 03-Nov-13 12:51:00

I wanted a pony from 4 years onwards... By the time I was 14 I had done enough babysitting, saving pocket money and birthday money to buy a cut price mad welsh cob that no one could ride. He was brilliant and wild and we had him for almost twenty years!

My mum did the best thing, she always scrapped the money together for my riding lessons, and I used to help anyone in the village that had horses, mucking out etc. I learnt so much about them that by the time I got my pony, there was no question of me not being committed. Plus a pony is brilliant at keeping teenage girls on the straight and narrow - I never had time, money or energy for anything but horses.... And my saturday nights were spent plaiting manes and tails!

All she has to do Dita is hang 4 stockings up (one for each leg) and Father Christmas will do the rest ?

Maybe leave a Santa Key rather than try to squeeze it down the chimney though wink

that made me lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now