The best gingerbread house kit for a first timer?

(9 Posts)

Apparantly the IKEA one is sometimes broken but for the price of them (and the sheer pain-in-the-buminess of getting to IKEA) buy a couple and eat the broken scraps

Royal icing - 1 egg white, add lemon juice if you want it brittle, whisk a bit then beat in icing sugar 200g (which is 8oz in old money) until it's thick.

Might vary a bit according to the egg white.

hermioneweasley Sat 02-Nov-13 18:16:19

Mumzy, what's your royal icing recipe. I've only made it once and it was waaaay to runny.

DaftApeth Sat 02-Nov-13 18:12:58

Is the Lakeland one ready made?

SIL used the lakeland one last year. First one she'd ever done and it looked amazing.

I bought my first ever gingerbread house kit from ikea last week - I couldn't believe it was only £2.50!

Mumzy Sat 02-Nov-13 17:00:14

Ikea really good price as well. Stick it together with royal icing: icing sugar and egg white and its rock solid.

Rosa Sat 02-Nov-13 16:21:54

Ikea kit one all baked and in bits ..was so much easier to to put together with the dds it all happened faster !!! It looked great IMo when done

HmmAnOxfordComma Sat 02-Nov-13 16:20:05

This is a pretty useless answer because it's a ready made, not a kit, one, but the one in Aldi looks gorgeous and was really inexpensive. Was really sad ds is gluten and milk free...

Just in case anyone else wants a pre-made one!

OhCobblers Sat 02-Nov-13 15:19:27

The Lakeland one seemed good but I need to make sure I can do it easily with the children and I'm no Mary Berry!!!!
is there anywhere else I should look?
Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now