If you were 89 and were to receive a food hamper for Christmas, what would you like in it?

(38 Posts)

Putting together a hamper for dh's great aunt and her partner. So far I have a small m and s Xmas cake, some Christmas tea, Christmas marmalade, a bag of assorted nuts, some cheesey biscuits and a small thing of chocolates.
What else do you reckon? I have room for probably 3 more things.

RhondaJean Sat 02-Nov-13 21:50:39

Quavers.

My granny had a tiny appetite at 89 and lost most of her sense of taste but she loved quavers and could still taste them.

farrowandballs Sat 02-Nov-13 21:25:56

Cartmel sticky toffee pudding. Potted shrimps. Pukka bed time tea

Branleuse Sat 02-Nov-13 16:38:48

oh yes, sorry. And sherry

you forgot the faggots, branleuse!

Branleuse Sat 02-Nov-13 14:34:44

Spam, corned beef, tripe, spinach, liver, murray mints

wonkylegs Sat 02-Nov-13 14:28:58

We got great granny (90) a selection of biscuits that she liked so much she's requested them again a few times.
We got a selection with jam & honey, wine, chutney & cheese (they like cheese) but we've only had requests for more biscuits.

Thanks so much everyone smile

MrsSchadenfreude Sat 02-Nov-13 13:57:40

My gran would have wanted: proper tea, nothing flavoured, not Earl Grey, just good old fashioned British Breakfast Tea, either loose leaf or bags, biscuits - either a mixed tin or shortbread fingers, maybe a packet of chocolate biscuits, tins of red salmon, crab, some nice savoury snacks or posh crisps, olives, tins of soup, a large bottle of Benedictine grin, maybe a bottle of scotch or sherry for visitors, some nice strawberry jam, marmalade, some crackers for cheese (maybe some nice cheddar too?), pate in a jar and a bag of boiled sweets. Possibly also some liqueur chocolates as well.

My grandparents love dried fruit (figs, dates etc.), Turkish delight, liquorice all sorts, fruit jellies, cherry liqueur chocolates. They also get through unfeasible amounts of tinned red salmon smile

Ifcatshadthumbs Sat 02-Nov-13 13:48:40

I put in my Nan's some of the mini sized tins of Heinz soup. M&s also do some small tinned savoury mince type things that she loves.

If they don't drink alcohol how about some of those mixer sizes cans of lemonade or tonics?

ibbydibby Sat 02-Nov-13 13:45:11

Mini mincepies? You can get them in Sainsbury's or Waitrose (though not yet..sell by in Sainsbo yesterday was end of Nov. Some kind of treaty biscuits / cookies?

Posh breadsticks, the wee ones that you can get in whole food shops are nice. Cheesy crackers too.

Nothing that gets stuck under/to dentures. My Great Aunt eats cashew nuts with her brandy. Either they don't stick or alternatively she might be anaesthetised to the irritation by the brandy.

Grennie Sat 02-Nov-13 13:38:30

Not nuts. Too difficult to eat for a lot of older people.

Don't forget a nut cracker!

raisah Sat 02-Nov-13 13:34:34
ShadeofViolet Sat 02-Nov-13 13:33:33

Elizabeth Shaw mints. My Nan (the same age) goes mad over them!!

Short bread, mince pies, those jelly fruits, fancy jam or marmalade. I'd go for very traditional picky bits as don't forget they'll have already done their shopping for Christmas.

My Great Aunt (102) practically mainlines likes brandy. A hamper without it would be unthinkable grin

sorry to repeat myself, but I do think that having the makings of a delicious meal they can enjoy between them with a couple of extra treats would be lovely.

YOu can also get vacuum packed meals, ie stews etc. One brand I can think of is 'look what I found'

cece Sat 02-Nov-13 12:58:46

MY Gran always liked;

tinned salmon
tinned crab
jar of coffee
tea bags
nice biscuits

you can get cheeses and pates that are vacuum packed so don't need refrigerating. They might be kept in the chill cabinet, but they don't need to be. iyswim.

how about tins of speciality soup?

Lol at huge pork chop. Can't put anything in that needs to go in the fridge as I don't want them to have to put anything in the fridge before Xmas and thereby ruin the surprise.
Will take nuts out ( dh will be happy, more for him). Those pretty jellies sound nice, fudge sounds good.
Any savoury ideas that don't need to go in the fridge?

Atari Sat 02-Nov-13 12:43:15

I will never forget my Grandad's face the year my cousin gave him a HUGE pork chop.

It was better than the look on any child's face at Christmas grin

those york fruit jellies were always popular in my GPs house. and twiglets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now