If your DH/DP is a cyclist...

(51 Posts)
kiwidreamer Fri 01-Nov-13 08:02:15

Could you pretty please ask him what is the best computer thingy to get for an recreational cyclist who is a bit of a gadget snob, please and thank you!!!

DH says he wants one --even tho he's only ridden his new bike half a dozen times and I strongly suspect it won't see daylight till the clocks go forward again-- but tends o be fussy with technology <sigh> any chance the one from Tesco is a good option (club card vouchers!)

Cheers!

Takver Tue 05-Nov-13 09:24:29

Any of you who cycle and have small hands - any recommendations for really good warm cycling gloves? (Local shop doesn't have a great range so I need to buy online - I'm a small size 7)

Ohhelpohnoitsa Tue 05-Nov-13 00:26:14

yes, Cateye or Garmin

Mipe Sat 02-Nov-13 17:17:40

Here are some bargain retro cycling gloves, got these as a stocking filler for my dad:

www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/campagnolo-retro-gloves/rp-prod85314

nightshade1 Fri 01-Nov-13 21:08:41

the garmin Gps cycle computers with a heart rate monitor and hooks up to strava are the ones to look at according to my DP

I wouldn't know - I fell off my bike twice in the spring and broke my wrist both times............the bike is retired.

Rowlers Fri 01-Nov-13 20:41:49

try again
these

Rowlers Fri 01-Nov-13 20:41:18

I agree with voucher suggestion. DH happiest when surfing through Wiggle / Chain Reaction / Planet X / Evans Cycles websites. Keeps him quiet for HOURS.
If going for gloves, DH would say http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sealskinz-all-weather-cycling-gloves/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&utm_source=pla&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=uk&kpid=5360320525 these]] are the best cycling gear he's ever bought.

oscarwilde Fri 01-Nov-13 16:19:24

www.roadid.com/Common/default.aspx
Definitely worth having.

ivykaty44 Fri 01-Nov-13 14:54:47

just spoken to dad on the phone and he has told me to look at the boardman bike pc as it got really good write ups, it does look good and has wireless cadence

evilgiraffe Fri 01-Nov-13 14:54:35

Oh good idea, Katie, DH and I both have a RoadID - definitely worth having.

RunningKatie Fri 01-Nov-13 14:51:11

I was going to tell you about the free haribo you get from wiggle but i see i was beaten to it! grin

I have a garmin 305 for running that has an adaptor to go on my bike so i can be a stats bore.

What about id? I know it's not techy but my dh needs some new id tags and i need to get myself some too.

Tiggles Fri 01-Nov-13 12:15:26

Good point about the membership - British cycling membership at £15 a year gives 12% off in Wiggle, or 10% in Halfords, so membership would almost pay for itself in the discount on a decent cycle computer

HellonHeels Fri 01-Nov-13 11:52:25

Don't get the tesco one. I'd be very disappointed with that. I really want a Garmin 800. Think the voucher suggestions are the way to go.

Also if DH is a member of a cycling organisation he will get 10 - 15% discount in some shops, so much better if he's there to choose and get the discount. If he's not a member then a membership might be an idea?

I belong to CTC - you get magazines, legal support, 3rd party insurance, details of group rides, discounts on gear.

Piffpaffpoff Fri 01-Nov-13 11:43:49

DH has a Garmin something-or-other, which gives him lots of stats to obsess over. I definitely wouldn't go with the Tesco one.

I must confess that I am a Mapmyride stats geek, I am currently Queen of the Mountain on two courses gringrin!

To be fair, dh is slightly accident prone on his bike <<looks at current broken wrist shock>>, so he's best steering clear of cables. "Normal" folk will probably be ok smile But the 200 doesn't support even cabled cadence apparently. You'd need the 500

ivykaty44 Fri 01-Nov-13 11:06:16

we have cabled cadence now - and it is fine, if the 200 has cabled cadence - which I wasn't sure about, I shall go for that one smile

evilgiraffe Fri 01-Nov-13 11:01:23

Wiggle also send you haribo with every purchase - another plus point?! grin

Rapha is crazy expensive - DH has a couple of pairs of socks as they're the only remotely affordable thing...

oscarwilde Fri 01-Nov-13 10:05:53

I recommend Garmin too, sorry. I'd do the snazzy gloves and Wiggle voucher myself though. It will keep him quiet for hours if my DH is anything to go by. Their customer service is v v good.

For gear, Assos is apparently the extremely pricey business . Rapha is too cool for school if he's a media type. They do a fabulous discrete reflective backpack for commuting though I know you said its for mountain biking. Lots of pockets for everything internally, waterproof and v neat and streamlined.

Ivykatie - apparently the 200 doesn't support accessories - so no. Cabled cadence is no good apparently cos the cable gets snagged on stuff whilst barrelling down mountains confused

bigTillyMint Fri 01-Nov-13 09:48:22

DH seems to love Wiggle, so that might be a good plan. New cycling gear is always welcome too.

MooseBeTimeForSnow Fri 01-Nov-13 09:47:47

Or buy him a GoPro so he can film his adventures

kiwidreamer Fri 01-Nov-13 09:46:17

Hmmmm just as I expected, bloody expensive hobby but fecking hell at spending £300 on the computery bit... I get my kitchen aid before he's getting that!!! At least cake is something we all can enjoy wink

I think a Wiggle voucher might be the way to go --lol at me thinking I'd get away with a freebie from clubcard vouchers--

And once again I apologise profusely for ridiculous assumptive thread title... was blinded by personal circumstance --I'd be seriously maimed within the week if I started bike riding-- and panic over what to get the man who doesn't want anything, except what he wants when he wants it.

kaizen Fri 01-Nov-13 09:44:15

if you can, go for a Garmin, especially as mentioned above the Edge 510 - he can then eventually get a cadence sensor for the bike, which will tell him his RPM - very important in improving if you are a crap cyclist like me.

i am a techno geek in no other way except sporting equipment and have been known the whoop with joy and drag people into my office to look at my GPS open water swim maps from the Garmin 910x - the 'mothership' of garmins.....(sigh)

ivykaty44 Fri 01-Nov-13 09:39:48

tilly has the 200 got cabled cadence?

Direct from geeky cyclist DH

Either:

Garmin Edge 200 - circa £100

Or Garmin edge 500 (enables you to run wireless accessories like heart rate monitor or cadence sensor) - circa -£170

Or an Edge 510 - (as per 500 but uploads to social media and connects via smart phone) - circa £250

Or Edge 800 - (as above plus navigation - they are apparently "ace" as you can borrow other peoples routes etc) - circa £300

If he just wants to be able upload his ride routes and see how fast he was going at certain points (along with graphs and other such geekery!) then a 200 would be fine. He could then get a Garmin phone app himself (about 69p) if he wanted to be able to upload his routes on to his phone (so he can compare and contrast with his mates in the pub according to DH. Can't think why we're getting divorced wink)

evilgiraffe Fri 01-Nov-13 09:36:29

Oh, and get him on to Strava - there's nothing like a little competition to make you less of a fair-weather cyclist grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now