How do you keep Christmas magic alive for teenage boys?

(58 Posts)
notagiraffe Thu 31-Oct-13 23:58:21

Hi

DSs have asked for money this year, and I'm happy with that, as they are saving up for things which they really want that cost the earth.

But I'd love to give them some thing small but that makes them go wow on the day. Budget for a handful of things is around £50 per child.

They have a stocking (included in the above budget!) filled with a tee-shirt, DVD, book, sweets, bath stuff, fireworks and stuff related to their hobbies.

But what might make their eyes light up? Either an activity or a fun present. I don't want the day to be flat because they've outgrown toys. And I want it to be something festive - just out of ideas right now.

Last year we went to the ice sculptures, circus and giant ferris wheel at Hyde Park Wonderland on Christmas Eve and they loved it, but they've outgrown that too.
What do you do to keep the magic alive for teens?

fuzzpig Sun 03-Nov-13 16:17:47

My teen DSCs still love top trumps. it can go on for bloody ages though grin

chimchar Sun 03-Nov-13 16:01:39

Top trumps?

I keep adding things as I think of them!

spababe Sun 03-Nov-13 13:47:05

there was a great thread here last year about what to get teenage boys. I bought the survival wristbands that uncoil to make yards of string also indoor fireworks and silly string was good. This year so far they have got Christmas jumpers from Primark (get now they sell out very early) and onesies as a joke present.

MyBoilsAreFab Sun 03-Nov-13 13:24:55

notagiraffe can I ask where you got the playing cards from? DS1 is learning guitar so would be good for him. Thanks

Parsnipcake Sun 03-Nov-13 12:53:56

It ends when the last gift is taken from the sack. My teens are definitely the dramatic and sully genre but it has always been taken well, as they have their proper pressies, and they like posting pictures of the mean prizes on Facebook!

Wibblytummy Sun 03-Nov-13 11:45:20

Not sure if there is one near you, but how about one of the indoor skydiving experiences. They're not too expensive and one year my in laws got one for all the boys in the family (with their club card points too I think!) and we all had a great day out watching them. It suited males from 11 to 56 and they all loved it!

notagiraffe Sun 03-Nov-13 11:12:17

Parsnip that sounds er dramatic. How does it end? How do you decide who gets the best prize finally? And how do you stop it descending into real sulks? You must have very well-tempered teens.

Parsnipcake Sun 03-Nov-13 07:41:15

One tradition that we have, that is very popular with our teens is 'mean Christmas' ( inspired by the American office). I buy a load of small presents - things that some of the kids would like and others would hate, and also some real crapola from the pound shop. The presents are wrapped and we all take it in turns to throw a dice. Throw a 1 and you get a gift, throw a 6 and you can steal someone else's. It's great fun, and we usually do it on Xmas day evening when there is a bit of a lull. We make it very mean - the occasional heavily coveted gift is usually in there, which everyone takes great delight in stealing from its coveter.

chimchar Sat 02-Nov-13 21:52:03

Took nephew out this afo.

He bought himself a yo yo...

I'm buying my ds a 'hacky sac' little football skills thingie (eBay)

notagiraffe Sat 02-Nov-13 21:11:08

Some absolutely brilliant ideas here.

LOL at deciding on the M&S snowman cake over a new baby Creamy. No new babies here either, thanks. I love sleep.

DS1 is a survival nut and already has lots of stuff like the paracord bracelet, but he'll love that credit card survival tool.

Have found playing cards with guitar chords on the back for DS2.

So stocking of: T shirt, silly socks/pants, calendar, Lynx, DVD, CD, book, sweets and food, survival kit bits (DS1) music bits (DS2.)
That's quite a lot isn't it?

Then an outing: musical/comedy/boxing day races or going down a ski slope in those tubey things (quite fancy that myself). We have loads of skating rinks nearby - really beautiful ones but DS2 and I are dyspraxic. We just can't! Might look out for night times at the zoo, though or one of those lit up walks through parks, or a night boat/duck ride in London.

And lots of food, films, comedy DVDs, board games, chances to Skype and chat to their cousins and friends.

Hope it'll be special enough. I just really want some surprises lined up for them to make them go Wow.

fuzzpig Sat 02-Nov-13 12:09:09

I'm also considering getting my DSS and his GF a Segway driving experience if that helps?

fuzzpig Sat 02-Nov-13 12:06:55

Board/card games are the way to go for my teenage DSCs. They like getting all competitive! grin

(This is not a good idea if they take things too seriously though...)

Great thread. I have a 12 year old. He is into brands but I have just had to take him shopping as has grown out of everything. He wants an iPhone for Xmas so that is under discussion.

He still likes the Guinness book of records.

He loves chocolate cake so I got him a mug from Lakeland that you make a chocolate cake in the microwave. I know you can just do that without a special mug but I got it anyway!

iTunes or Spotify voucher.

It's hard to keep the magical aspect going though I agree. Mine is an only and tends to spend a lot of time alone. I try to instigate traditions like going out for lunch or a walk or cinema and neither he nor DH are interested. Drives me mad.

CreamyCooler Sat 02-Nov-13 11:37:18

Having a baby may be a tad drastic, think I'll stick to ordering the M&S snowman cake!

5madthings Sat 02-Nov-13 11:29:25

catch mine range in age from 14 down to 2 urs old ands the elder ones def e joy watching the younger ones enjoy the magic and they are very good at not letting on etc.

Not sure the op wants another baby tho! grin

Catchhimatwhat Sat 02-Nov-13 11:26:18

My parents had another baby when I was a teenager, that made Christmases special again! Watching someone else have that magic.

5madthings Sat 02-Nov-13 10:15:26

ooh good thread i am.stuck for ideas for ds1(14) this yr. he wants to.build himself a pc so will get money towards that i think.

he always needs new socks and i might get him an xmas hair band/bobbles as he has really long hair.

he sounds like 70's son totally not.into clothes or labels at all but i may check.out hollister sale as ge could do with some new jumpers/hoodys.

he also needs to start shaving so razors, shaving foam etc.

he likes minecraft and i have seen some books and t-shirts and a minecraft book (look on amazon or ebay).

food is always good.

he

chimchar Sat 02-Nov-13 10:10:18

meant to say too about primark tshirts...had loads last year...vintage ones...pacman, ghostbusters, goonies etc.. about £5 each.

chimchar Sat 02-Nov-13 10:09:20

great ideas...

www.firebox.com is great for ideas...pricey, but can get the imagination going!

I love www.wackysox.com for fun sporty socks...gain, check prices...they have loads on ebay.

new novelty phone cover?

keyring for front door key?

asda have fab boxers at the mo...mens xsmall look pretty ok for my big 12 yo. they have mrs browns boys ones!

its so much harder as they get older isn't it?
bloody miserable things!!!

VoldemortsNipple Sat 02-Nov-13 09:56:40

Paracord bracelet

VoldemortsNipple Sat 02-Nov-13 09:55:34

pharmacies bracelet 80p free shipping

credit card survival tool 99p delivered

This Draper multi function pocket knife is a fantastic price. I bought ds a Swiss army knife a couple of years back when he first started cadets and it was a great success. He loved looking at all the different tools and carried it round for days. I just gave him firm rules that he wasn't allowed to take it out the house when he opened it.

MARGUERITE18 Sat 02-Nov-13 09:42:57

for the gift side of thing what about a beanbag - whats more fun!

MARGUERITE18 Sat 02-Nov-13 09:41:31

-Ice Skating?

-Indoor skiing or tubing (chillfactore, snowdome etc)

-trip to a night safari at a zoo (they have it all dark with fairy lights and you can watch the animals at night) - south lakes wild animal park do it.

-a concert- ie- jingleball and the like

-trip to the christmas markets to get their christmas shopping done and to get some festive beer or baileys hot chocolate?

- cinema trip - the hobbit or the hunger games

- football museum (manchester football museum do christmas stuff and teenage boys love it there)

-the main london eye and if they are into it then a musical (some boys who enjoy drama like musicals)

-harry potter studios london or the doctor who experience cardiff who both do christmas stuff

-alton towers (the rides don't open in winter but the AMAZING water park does) and its decorated all christmassy

I find it funny that they outgrew winter wonderland, the one direction boys went and thousands of other teenagers and adults flock there for the rides and food every year :p

-christmassy cruise on river (an adult only one) its really posh

-madame tussauds for the celeb waxworks

the last thing I will mention is not really magical lol but the london dungeons do a satins grotto which is really gory and macarbe and tons of teens that I know love it there. its included in the dungeon entry

VoldemortsNipple Sat 02-Nov-13 08:51:14

Ds(14) loved the Holister Jake aftershave he got last year. A small bottle costs £24

This year he is getting the Xbox one as a joint present with his brother (11) so there won't be much else. His hobby is the cadets so I tent to look for stocking fillers around that. Up to now he has, a paracord bracelet, a reuseable match, a little credit card shaped thing which acts like a swiss army knife, those gloves you can use your phone with.

I'm also thinking of doing all dcs a food hamper as an extra present to open. It will be things we would get in for Christmas anyway, but they will enjoy having their own stash. Things like favorite cereal, nutella, 40p noodles, Pringles, nuts, chocolate and Coke.

I shall change devices in a moment and give links to the survival bits incase anybody is interested.

way2serious Fri 01-Nov-13 22:37:34

Thanks for the tip Notagiraffe will check that out.

Really helpful thread. Thanks everyone for your ideas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now