OK we've done books, now what about DVDs? What are you getting?

(46 Posts)
fuzzpig Thu 31-Oct-13 08:04:54

A rather horrific amount here... DVDs are an addiction for myself and DH blush

Definitely Monsters University, Despicable Me 2, Planes, The Croods.

Possibly Turbo and Cloudy 2 if they are out by then.

Room on the Broom for Xmas eve - we always get the previous year's JD film at Xmas but I thought it might spread the excitement a little to watch the night before, and it's a short and reasonably gentle DVD. On that note, does anyone know if there's a new one on telly this year?

So many others I'm tempted by - really into studio ghibli ATM and also there's lots of stuff I am desperate to share with DCs from my own childhood - cartoons like CatDog, Rugrats and Hey Arnold grin and the first two Beethoven movies... I may leave them for throughout the year though (DH and I both have a 'frivolities' budget each month)

Elsiequadrille Mon 04-Nov-13 23:22:18

From Time to Time (based on Green Knowe books)

The Bishop's Wife

Will also be watching Box of Delights. Bit old fashioned now perhaps, but nice Christmas theme.

havatry Mon 04-Nov-13 23:15:17

Monster in Paris is lovely.

MooseyMoo Sat 02-Nov-13 14:31:56

Whoops blush wrong thread!

MooseyMoo Sat 02-Nov-13 14:19:02

Burton: has three codes working at mo. 25% off using CHMM3010, free nominated delivery 26PBSD78 and AWBOOK gives you £10 off £40 spend.

MooseyMoo Sat 02-Nov-13 14:12:36

Only just started building our Christmas DVD this year (DD 3.6 and DS 2) so have bought

Arthur Christmas
Polar Express
Elf
The Flight Before Christmas
Miracle on 34th Street

For their stockings I've bought Little Mermaid and Disney Cars.

RhondaJean Sat 02-Nov-13 10:03:53

Despicable me 2
Hangover 3 for dh
Breaking bad for dh
Couple of older cheap ones for dd2
Vampire diaries, tin button box set, eerie Indiana box set for dd1
And Miranda.

There doesn't seem a lot out for Xmas we haven't seen at the pictures already this year

Crutchlow35 Sat 02-Nov-13 09:57:01

Fix, Arthur Christmas is excellent too.

ThePitOfStupid Sat 02-Nov-13 09:28:39

Despicable me 2 and Cars 2

MARGUERITE18 Sat 02-Nov-13 09:27:21

the cat returns is good

MARGUERITE18 Sat 02-Nov-13 09:25:46

one magic christmas
prep and landing
sleeping beauty

3bunnies Sat 02-Nov-13 09:17:59

Thanks, haven't seen either so will maybe go for wimpy kid, bit cheaper than planning but could maybe divert money and get wreak it ralph for dh (an 80s gamer!) and monsters university for ds. Dd2 will dissappear off and do something else within 10 min of film starting yet would be the first to notice if everyone else got one and she didn't.

fuzzpig Sat 02-Nov-13 09:08:26

The wimpy kid films are really popular so would probably be a safe bet if she likes the books.

fuzzpig Sat 02-Nov-13 09:07:38

TBH I thought the lemony snicket film was awful, in the sense that it wasn't really faithful enough to the books.

Is she old enough for Percy Jackson or would that be a bit scary?

3bunnies Sat 02-Nov-13 08:53:49

Trying to narrow down our dvd choices - will probably get one cheapo £3 ones - scooby doo, ? Lemony snicket, mr bean etc.

Need some advice on the big ones (will be ones we haven't actually seen in cinema)- need one per child. Dd1 & ds are easy will like anything, will probably get despicable me 2 and monsters university/wreak it ralph dd2(nearly 7) is more ... decerning. She doesn't like despicable me, monsters vs aliens, in fact anything computer generated (special effects are ok though), she enjoys Narnia and Matilda. To read she likes Lemony snicket and wimpy kid but not sure how well these have converted into films. Any recommendations?

fuzzpig Sat 02-Nov-13 07:59:08

How funny OneLittleLady - we actually watched Kiki's Delivery Service yesterday for our weekly movie night! It was out of the library (I work there so free rentals grin) but will probably buy it at some point, it was lovely. Laughed loads at the cat. They love Totoro as well! We are working our way through ghibli films as we've only recently got into them. Some are quite creepy though so mostly we are watching them once the DCs are in bed.

DSD mentioned she loves howls moving castle - don't think she owns that one so that's another present sorted smile

Crutchlow35 Sat 02-Nov-13 07:48:09

At that age we bought DS Mickey's once upon a Christmas. We call it special Mickey. DS watches it over and over. It is 5 or 6 shorter cartoon type movies.

FixItUpChappie Fri 01-Nov-13 22:20:53

What's a good gentle disney/movie for a 3 year old?

We've had some fails on this front.....we watched Peter Pan as his first movie but there was some pretty unPc content which I didn't notice as a child and hells bells we put on a bugs bunny Halloween DVD last night....I apparently don't have a clear memory of these things!! - cue nightmare and night in our bed.

FixItUpChappie Fri 01-Nov-13 22:15:40

DS1 is getting Disney's Animated collection Part 1 in his stocking...

www.amazon.com/Disney-Animation-Collection-Mickey-Beanstalk/dp/B001PK47GC

fuzzpig if you haven't got them already, Ghibli's 'Kiki's delivery Service' and 'My Neighbour Totoro' are good for kids. Both nice and gentle and Kiki has a talking cat grin

Doshusallie Fri 01-Nov-13 21:24:15

I know they are not new but my boys have watched quite a few of them this week for the first time. And really enjoyed them...

Doshusallie Fri 01-Nov-13 21:23:15

I went to blackbushe market on Sunday and bought:

The dark crystal
Lemony snicket's series of unfortunate events
The bridge to terabitha
Scooby doo and the cyber chase
Scooby doo and the ghoul school
Christmas story
Zathura
Wind in the willows
And two more that I can't think of now but all of them very very good - 10 for £20!!!!

Crutchlow35 Fri 01-Nov-13 12:44:53

Planes,
The Croods (which has taken ages to come out)
Monsters university.

Prep and landing is good but we still have that on series link from last year!

Thanks Gerrard we ahve the Muppet Christmas Carol but I think Father Christmas would go down a treat!

fuzzpig Thu 31-Oct-13 22:15:24

I love Disney movie rewards! We are Disney/Pixar obsessed so have got many freebies grin

Rosvita Thu 31-Oct-13 22:10:50

Little mermaid,monsters university then Santa paws,sword in the stone, and tinkerbell bought through disney rewards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now