Seeking super duper cheapo advent calendar teeny presents ideas

(28 Posts)
Rowlers Wed 30-Oct-13 14:54:42

I have agreed, (deep breath) to make an advent calendar for DD (9) and fill with little, interesting (and cheap) presents.
So far I have:
a little ladybird pin / brooch found in the charity shop for 50p
a pair of mittens bought in M+S sale last Jan for £1
An Usborne press-out-and-make nativity scene book, also £1 in charity shop
a moshi monsters blind bag (was £1)
a sheet of Christmas stickers (75p)
a little tin of mini bulldog clips in different sizes (Morrisons, 50p)

Am rapidly running out of steam!!!

Any suggestions GRATEFULLY received!

Also, does anyone else do this or am I the only mug?!?!? grin

babsmam Wed 30-Oct-13 15:00:03

this is my first year doing this and need need ideas so no not just you grin

Hair slides (Primark is a good place for multi packs for around a £ or 2 that can be split up & wrapped for different days)
Lip balm/lip gloss/nail polish - B&M/Home Bargain etc do multi packs that could be split
Same goes for Squinkies
Post it notes
light up rings
Chocolate coins/mini santas etc - cheap in Aldi, Lidl etc
Those Lindt chocolate bears/reindeers - sometimes on 2 for £1

drinkyourmilk Wed 30-Oct-13 15:28:00

Get thee to Claires accessories.
also poundshop and search stocking fillers on amazon

drinkyourmilk Wed 30-Oct-13 15:29:33

How about seeds? Herbs and cress grow quickly

TrueBoo Wed 30-Oct-13 15:30:30

Does every have to be a present? Could some days be a wee bit of paper with an enjoyable Christmas-related task e.g. Help decorate tree, make mince pies, make cards for granny/grandpa etc? Just simple things that help in the build up to the day itself?

Rowlers Wed 30-Oct-13 16:40:08

Brilliant ideas, thank you v much
Are Squinkies like Moshi Monsters?
post it notes = good
Sweets! Of course!
Love the idea of seeds - will def do that
Trueboo - like your suggestions.

absentmindeddooooodles Wed 30-Oct-13 16:52:01

Hair clips are a great one. Packs with different colours in so you can seperate.
Big gold coin
Christmas tree decorations
A red nose ( rudolph)
Pens/pencils/crayons
Tiny minature snow globe ( poundshop)
Christmas socks
And on christmas eve a book voucher for the night before christmas?

Zorra Wed 30-Oct-13 19:30:38

Last year DS had a little present in alternate days, and a small chocolate and activity in the other days - make Christmas cookies, watch a festive film, sort out toys and donate old ones to charity etc. I also put in some relevant presents, so put in things like cookie cutters, paper chains etc.

BendyBusBuggy Wed 30-Oct-13 19:34:18
BendyBusBuggy Wed 30-Oct-13 19:36:48
BendyBusBuggy Wed 30-Oct-13 19:59:30
Rowlers Wed 30-Oct-13 20:33:57

Great, thanks!
I like the idea of the presents being something useful / crafty etc

Snog Thu 31-Oct-13 05:23:08

blott erasers

madmomma Thu 31-Oct-13 07:57:56

make little tissuepaper parcels containing a few jelly sweets,
a little woven friendship bracelet from clairs
funsize mars
a tiny choc snowman

annielosthergun Thu 31-Oct-13 11:40:30

I had a friend whose mum always did them with a theme - one year it was jewellery making and there were parcels with packs of tiny beads, parcels with one or two really lovely beads, the various fastenings etc - 'twas amazing and we were all very envious!

BeaWheesht Fri 01-Nov-13 00:37:16

Asda usually have cheap things in the stationery section like funky runners / sharpeners etc.

Also glowsticks?

Finger LED lights?

Compass?

Nail varnish from £land?

Leeds2 Fri 01-Nov-13 15:46:28

I'm sure you would be able to source a small purse for about a £1. Don't know where though!

One of those small packs of tissues that have pictures of cats/union jacks/whatever on them.

A comic.

Bubbles, if she isn't too old!

Lego? Collect the pieces together for her to biuld small Christmass-y thigs eg snowman

janeyjampot Fri 01-Nov-13 15:54:26

I was in Home Bargains yesterday and they had loads of Babyliss hair slides/clips/bands for 39p.

Also Wilkinson has a pocket money section with wind-up toys, jumping beans etc.

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Fri 01-Nov-13 16:01:34

There's loads of things on amazon for under £1. I've bought a balloon helicopter, a flying dinosaur model, a whoopee cushion and a set of five finger puppets.

Cupcake11 Fri 01-Nov-13 16:07:04

My husband and I do this every year for each other - I love it! As people have mentioned, primark is your friend.
You can pick up Christmas socks, flannels, jewellery and hair bits for next to nothing.
There's loads of bits and pieces on amazon too but make sure you find things with free delivery, and order early as a lot of the cheap bits take ages to arrive.

FloresCircumdati Fri 01-Nov-13 18:08:46

Thanks, some great ideas here! I need to get started on mine, too, and the little drawers to fit ours into are TINY. I may even give up on them and make something new for Advent with big pockets! Also, to complicate matters, have more than 1 DC and cannot use sweets this year. (My DCs are a bit older than yours too, OP).

I've been thinking of collecting cracker jokes and printing them off, so each thing is wrapped in a joke for the day.

In past years, have used polished semi-precious stones with a description for some days, and little fossils for others.

Marbles, shape paper punchers, those nano Lego block kits (separated into different days, to build into a completed item at Christmas) can be good for creative minds.

I might try to make a few little things this year, like something to hang on the Christmas tree.

Rowlers Fri 01-Nov-13 19:53:10

I've given up on the idea of fitting them all into an actual advent calendar. So they will be wrapped and numbered.
Lots of fab ideas here - thank you!

FloresCircumdati Sun 03-Nov-13 16:47:57

Just remembered something else, your way of wrapping and numbering them jogged my memory, Rowlers. Some years, or with some presents which don't fit in the little draw, we've put a clue to where we've hidden that day's present in the draw and then put the wrapped gifts where the clue leads to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now