What to put in the stocking of a 'not old' 70 year old mum?!!

(30 Posts)
Snoopytwist Tue 29-Oct-13 13:24:03

Help! My mum is coming to stay for Christmas and I'd really like to do her a stocking. She is 70 but would absolutely kill me if I bought her smellies or slippers or anything related to being older, even though her hobbies are gardening, playing bridge and crocquet!! Am stuck - all that I've got so far is a Sudoko book with a gardening theme.

(PS we are on a budget - like everyone else!!)

Snoopytwist Wed 30-Oct-13 19:05:18

Wow, some really lovely ideas here - thank you so much - I'm now thinking fluffy socks, teapigs (love it!!), a gin and tonic in a tin, lottery ticket, culture diary (she does go to lots of art museums) and she has just started a photography course so might get her something to do with that. Oh, and a couple of handmade chocs for the toe of the stocking. Might also get her some pants, just to repay for all the years I got some in mine!!!!

As a main prezzie, am doing a photo book - but I missed the BOGOF one that Tesco were doing - finished last week sad

Thank you everyone - really useful ideas!

gastrognome Thu 31-Oct-13 06:29:25

I always do a stocking for my mum who is the same age. Idea is to stick to "consumables" rather than stuff that will end up as clutter. I usually do a vaguely foodie stocking with mini sparkling wine, chocolates, biscuits, special tea, coffee, spices, and the obligatory satsuma of course. Sometimes add nail varnish, socks, post it notes or pens, etc.

Snoopy twist, photobox has photo books up to 70% off. I think it ends today though

purplewithred Thu 31-Oct-13 12:07:21

if she's a gardener don't get her anything for the garden unless you know it's the specific one she wants. I hate being given crap gardening stuff - I'm very fussy about my gardening gloves. Ditto secataeurs, garden trowels, seeds, magazines etc etc.

Stick to the other lovely ideas here.

Elizabeth22 Thu 31-Oct-13 16:07:14

You can buy mini tripods for cameras to stand them steady on a table. Also gorilla ones are good.

I'm buying a gadget that tells you how much your bag weighs for travelling. Muji have lots of stocking fillers for travellers that are good.

Pukka herbal tea bags are nice and are on offer in Waitrose at the moment.

Tights are a nice alternative to socks. I get nice colours or patterned ones from accessorize.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now