Alternative recipes instead of Christmas cake

(17 Posts)
Fluffyconcrete Sun 27-Oct-13 10:59:21

Just wondered if any of you lovely people can share some yummy recipes that aren't fruit cake???

Ideas please??

KCumberSandwich Sun 27-Oct-13 11:27:51

there was another thread on this, i will try and find it for you.

no idea how to link on my phone though.

failing that i will post my recipe again.smile

monniemae Sun 27-Oct-13 11:33:47

Nigella Lawson clementine cake - cant post link as struggling to type while feeding baby

Sillysarah49 Sun 27-Oct-13 12:03:49

Ooh I'll second Nigellas clementine cake. I make it every year - so easy and keeps really well - lush.

raisah Sun 27-Oct-13 13:49:05
Fluffyconcrete Mon 28-Oct-13 08:53:57

Thanks for replies smile

Fluffyconcrete Thu 31-Oct-13 23:05:19

Nigella recipe sounds good and want to try it but guess what no supermarket has any ground almonds.

Why is there NO ground almonds in my town????? Left message for local supermarket manager

Seriously even flaming Tesco gave none!!!

Delia's got a chocolate nut Chrismas cake that I'm goig to make this year.

BaconAndAvocado Fri 01-Nov-13 14:55:53

Ooh that clementine cake is tres yummy!

Will pencil it in to Christmas om nom nom plans.

Fluffyconcrete Fri 01-Nov-13 19:16:49

Still no ground almonds sad

Any other recipe ideas to try please??

Dontlookbehindyou Fri 01-Nov-13 19:37:30

I'm doing a lemon drizzle with lemon buttercream, not very traditional but it's my favorite and I'm going to pop fondant over it and decorate it as I would a Christmas cake.

WallyBantersJunkBox Fri 01-Nov-13 19:44:18

IHeart, I don't want to pee on your chips but I found the Delia Italian cake really disappointing last year. The chocolate chestnut torte she has in her Christmas book is nice though?

raisah Sat 02-Nov-13 07:48:07

Fluffyconcrete Does your town have any asian / global food shops because you will be able to find ground almonds for a lot cheaper.

Ah Wally that could be useful information, thankyou!

AlfalfaMa Sun 03-Nov-13 22:42:28

I'm planning on Nigella's spiced chocolate cake this year. I do find her recipes a bit hit and miss though, has anyone made it? I might have to do a trial run.

Aldi do ground almonds, and cheaply.

LKbabyH Sun 03-Nov-13 23:33:49

If i recall correctly, there's been a big recall on ground almonds recently from a few of the supermarkets. They have found undeclared peanut traces which doesn't appear on ingredients labelling.

Darkesteyes Sun 03-Nov-13 23:59:55

Im a shite cook but get a load of this M+S cake with polar bear and penguins on top.

www.goodhousekeeping.co.uk/tried-tested/Tried-and-tested-alternative-christmas-cakes-2013

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now