If you were given a chicken casserole on Christmas Day, instead of a roast....

(136 Posts)
HuevosRancheros Mon 21-Oct-13 18:28:48

.....would you feel like you'd been cheated?

DH is veggie (so will have a quorn fillet casserole anyway), DCs are quite fussy, so I thought I'd do a casserole that can be made a couple of days before, so removing some of the 'timing stress' I seem to have when doing a roast drinking loads of Bucks Fizz during the morning has nothing to do with it, oh no
I would do a naice one, with shallots, baby mushrooms, chestnuts, port etc. And all the usual trimmings - roast potatoes and parsnips, brussels, etc. Could even push the boat out and do pigs in blankets grin

But my in-laws are coming too. They are lovely, I know if I asked them about it, they would say it is fine, just to be nice and keep me happy. After all, I am cooking, they wouldn't complain.

So I need an unbiased, not-afraid-to-upset-me opinion please

Thanks smile

sonlypuppyfat Wed 23-Oct-13 14:29:03

I buy just one giant turkey breast they are huge dead easy to carve no bone no waste

ILoveAFullFridge Wed 23-Oct-13 13:51:50

Turkey crowns are freakish horrid things. We had one once, and I refused to touch the weirdosity.

aturtlenamedmack Wed 23-Oct-13 13:47:11

I would think 'yum, aren't I lucky that someone else has cooked a delicious meal for me'!

PetiteRaleuse Wed 23-Oct-13 13:18:29

WallyBanters she does hate me, but the food thing is more to do with the fact she is convinced I am fussy because, once, I didn't like something she cooked. She makes a big deal of the effort she puts intocooking me separate food. It's really annoying as she is a great cook but I have missed out on the good stuff several times.

Or she could just hate me.

Aintnobodylovesnanbetter Wed 23-Oct-13 13:17:19

We had a cooked breakfast for our christmas lunch last year.it was lovely.we had our roast dinner on christmas eve.
I think your casserole sounds really nice and it wouldn't bother me tbh.

ophiotaurus Wed 23-Oct-13 13:06:20

I love a Christmas roast sorry. How about a turkey crown? Asda do nice ones and it's all breast meat so not as much waste?

oakmouse Wed 23-Oct-13 13:03:26

I like casseroles, but for me it would be all about the company anyway.

WallyBantersJunkBox Wed 23-Oct-13 12:50:25

Petite - does she hate you? What a strange scenario!

Why is a turkey a pfaff - it's just a big gangly chicken! Brine it in a bucket and slam it in the oven a la Nigella.

I'm surprised no one has brought up the Aldi 4 bird roast....ease, sophistication and history in one tin foil tray.....

idiot55 Wed 23-Oct-13 08:27:35

Itvsounds lovely, but i personally would miss the turkey.

I havnt read all replies but cook yourvturkey crown etc cuople of days before.

BanjoPlayingTiger Wed 23-Oct-13 08:25:32

I'd just be happy that someone else was cooking for me!

In our house we have what we fancy for christmas dinner, which for the last couple of years has been crispy duck pancakes and chinese dumplings. It's so much tastier than a turkey and significantly easier too.

PetiteRaleuse Wed 23-Oct-13 08:22:43

I would be delighted with a casserole, but I don't like turkey and do roast chicken quite often anyway. A really good casserole would be lovely, and would free you up time to spend with everyone else.

I was a lot little pissed off when my mil, without consulting me, decided I wouldn't like the partridge she was cooking for everyone else so bought me lamb chops. Which she could and served up with plain veg while everyone else got yummy gamey meat and veg in sauce.

The next time we spent Christmas with them she did the whole meal (except pudding) based around shellfish (which she knows I don't eat) and did fried fish for me. Pudding was a creamy coffee thing, which she also knew i wouldn't eat, so i got a scoop of ice cream. I'm not fussy, the only two things I don't like are uncooked cream and shellfish.

Your casserole sounds lovely.

Morgause Wed 23-Oct-13 08:16:52

Has to be roast on Christmas day. I'd feel cheated.

LauraChant Wed 23-Oct-13 08:11:43

I don't think it's roast or nothing. Nor do I think casserole is not yum. But as a PP said casserole is an everyday food however jazzed up it is, and I would want something special/ festive on Christmas Day.

NoelHeadbandz Wed 23-Oct-13 07:58:10

*walls

NoelHeadbandz Wed 23-Oct-13 07:57:40

Thank god you've seen sense grin

I'd be gutted, although I'd never say anything and you would never guess from my face. I'd tuck in and enjoy.

But forevermore, within the confines of our own four walks, it would be known as 'oh yes...the year we had casserole <sad face>'

aintnothinbutagstring Tue 22-Oct-13 21:46:00

Chicken is meh full stop, its an everyday food. Give me a lovely marinated lamb leg or shoulder of lamb cooked slowly, even salmon en croute for a lighter alternative.

Maryann1975 Tue 22-Oct-13 20:55:06

I wouldn't be impressed to be given casserole on Christmas Day, but if you told me before the day, I would have the option of changing my plans and cooking for myself. I would have to decide how much I wanted your company on Christmas Day and if you were worth missing a lovely roast dinner for.

bigTillyMint Tue 22-Oct-13 08:20:19

Wallybanter my ex MIL taught me that trick nearly 25years ago - it never failssmile

aliciagardner Tue 22-Oct-13 07:53:58

Lemon, not London smile

aliciagardner Tue 22-Oct-13 07:53:02

Roast chicken is so, so easy. You just shove it in the oven!! Don't faff with brining, there's no need at all. Just get it out of the pack, a little olive oil in the roasting tin, breast side down and sprinkle of salt and pepper on it. Then in at 200 degrees for first 20 mins, turn whole bird over and turn oven down to 180, then cook for the remaining time - I do follow the preprinted time on the packet and I've never had a dry bird this way. If you want to be fancy, cut a London i. 2 and shove in the cavity. Nothing more needed and a lot less hassle than a casserole.

It's the trimmings and their timings that make it tricky. If I have a lot, I tend to prep everything ready for the oven day before, then write a list with timings (work backwards to calculate when everything needs to go in). It's really no more stressy than putting things in the oven this way - which means I can drink a few glasses of wine at the same time smile

ProfondoRosso Tue 22-Oct-13 07:39:13

We never had turkey when I was growing up, OP. We usually had honey glazed ham or something like that. Last year my DM did do a turkey and it was good, but I don't think she'll do it again this year (it's so much work and she is a proud unreasonable woman who will not accept help).

The year I did Christmas dinner, I made a massive batch of my best mac and cheese for the main course (DSis is veggie and DH's favourite dinner is M&C). Everyone really enjoyed it.

So yah boo sucks to tradition, in my book! grin

I love chicken for a main - vastly underrated bird. You could have a look at Nigella's Christmas book, see what turkey alternatives she has in there?

merrymouse Tue 22-Oct-13 07:22:32

For me Xmas is about the trimmings, not the roast itself. I would be upset if no brussel sprouts and little sausages in bacon but not bothered about no turkey.

However, I think it's perfectly acceptable to prepare the roast the day before, and if only a small number of people want to eat turkey I don't think you need to roast a whole turkey, and it's perfectly acceptable to buy something ready prepared.

LtAllHallowsEve Tue 22-Oct-13 07:15:47

When we go to MILs I end up cooking for at least 16 (21 was my worst). The first time she sprung it on me I was a worn out screaming banshee by mid afternoon.

Now I cook the turkey the day before, slowly, sitting on carrots and onions and with lemon and garlic shoved up his bum,slice it, put it in a roasting tin and cover it with the juices (and chuck the legs on top whole)

I also prepare all the veg the night before, with various helping hands (DH, DD, DSIL sometimes)

Xmas day I put the foil covered turkey slices in the bottom of the oven whilst I cook the roasties/parsnips etc. Using the juices to make gravy at the last minute.

Never had any stress since and never had a dry turkey.

MrsDavidBowie Tue 22-Oct-13 06:52:58

God I hate turkey . In fact I hate Christmas food full stop.
We had a M and S steak and kidney pie last year (dh and ds had just flown off to Oz for 3 weeks so it was just me and dd)

If it's the 4 of us I do a lasagne, or shoulder of lamb.
We go out for dinner on Christmas eve and Boxing Day.

Mr DB does not like me being a slave in the kitchen grin

elQuintoConyo Tue 22-Oct-13 06:46:56

I wouldn't bat an eye.

I buy a small pre-cooked chicken.for Christmas day that I just re-heat, make roasties, packet stuffing, Bisto, some peas... that's about it.

I'm abroad so.can't get many traditional things and I hate cooking, there are only three of us so no point making acres of food.

The one time I cooked for three extra people was when DMil was in.hospital and family was going to go have a Chinese (bloody horrible things in Spain, inedible). They were too polite/too converned with their DM to complain.

I'd tell your in-laws, then they have the choice of having a roast on a different day. I never make casserole so it'd be a novelty to me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now