If you were given a chicken casserole on Christmas Day, instead of a roast....

(136 Posts)
HuevosRancheros Mon 21-Oct-13 18:28:48

.....would you feel like you'd been cheated?

DH is veggie (so will have a quorn fillet casserole anyway), DCs are quite fussy, so I thought I'd do a casserole that can be made a couple of days before, so removing some of the 'timing stress' I seem to have when doing a roast drinking loads of Bucks Fizz during the morning has nothing to do with it, oh no
I would do a naice one, with shallots, baby mushrooms, chestnuts, port etc. And all the usual trimmings - roast potatoes and parsnips, brussels, etc. Could even push the boat out and do pigs in blankets grin

But my in-laws are coming too. They are lovely, I know if I asked them about it, they would say it is fine, just to be nice and keep me happy. After all, I am cooking, they wouldn't complain.

So I need an unbiased, not-afraid-to-upset-me opinion please

Thanks smile

PetiteRaleuse Wed 23-Oct-13 08:22:43

I would be delighted with a casserole, but I don't like turkey and do roast chicken quite often anyway. A really good casserole would be lovely, and would free you up time to spend with everyone else.

I was a lot little pissed off when my mil, without consulting me, decided I wouldn't like the partridge she was cooking for everyone else so bought me lamb chops. Which she could and served up with plain veg while everyone else got yummy gamey meat and veg in sauce.

The next time we spent Christmas with them she did the whole meal (except pudding) based around shellfish (which she knows I don't eat) and did fried fish for me. Pudding was a creamy coffee thing, which she also knew i wouldn't eat, so i got a scoop of ice cream. I'm not fussy, the only two things I don't like are uncooked cream and shellfish.

Your casserole sounds lovely.

BanjoPlayingTiger Wed 23-Oct-13 08:25:32

I'd just be happy that someone else was cooking for me!

In our house we have what we fancy for christmas dinner, which for the last couple of years has been crispy duck pancakes and chinese dumplings. It's so much tastier than a turkey and significantly easier too.

idiot55 Wed 23-Oct-13 08:27:35

Itvsounds lovely, but i personally would miss the turkey.

I havnt read all replies but cook yourvturkey crown etc cuople of days before.

WallyBantersJunkBox Wed 23-Oct-13 12:50:25

Petite - does she hate you? What a strange scenario!

Why is a turkey a pfaff - it's just a big gangly chicken! Brine it in a bucket and slam it in the oven a la Nigella.

I'm surprised no one has brought up the Aldi 4 bird roast....ease, sophistication and history in one tin foil tray.....

oakmouse Wed 23-Oct-13 13:03:26

I like casseroles, but for me it would be all about the company anyway.

ophiotaurus Wed 23-Oct-13 13:06:20

I love a Christmas roast sorry. How about a turkey crown? Asda do nice ones and it's all breast meat so not as much waste?

Aintnobodylovesnanbetter Wed 23-Oct-13 13:17:19

We had a cooked breakfast for our christmas lunch last year.it was lovely.we had our roast dinner on christmas eve.
I think your casserole sounds really nice and it wouldn't bother me tbh.

PetiteRaleuse Wed 23-Oct-13 13:18:29

WallyBanters she does hate me, but the food thing is more to do with the fact she is convinced I am fussy because, once, I didn't like something she cooked. She makes a big deal of the effort she puts intocooking me separate food. It's really annoying as she is a great cook but I have missed out on the good stuff several times.

Or she could just hate me.

aturtlenamedmack Wed 23-Oct-13 13:47:11

I would think 'yum, aren't I lucky that someone else has cooked a delicious meal for me'!

ILoveAFullFridge Wed 23-Oct-13 13:51:50

Turkey crowns are freakish horrid things. We had one once, and I refused to touch the weirdosity.

sonlypuppyfat Wed 23-Oct-13 14:29:03

I buy just one giant turkey breast they are huge dead easy to carve no bone no waste

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now