If you were given a chicken casserole on Christmas Day, instead of a roast....

(136 Posts)
HuevosRancheros Mon 21-Oct-13 18:28:48

.....would you feel like you'd been cheated?

DH is veggie (so will have a quorn fillet casserole anyway), DCs are quite fussy, so I thought I'd do a casserole that can be made a couple of days before, so removing some of the 'timing stress' I seem to have when doing a roast drinking loads of Bucks Fizz during the morning has nothing to do with it, oh no
I would do a naice one, with shallots, baby mushrooms, chestnuts, port etc. And all the usual trimmings - roast potatoes and parsnips, brussels, etc. Could even push the boat out and do pigs in blankets grin

But my in-laws are coming too. They are lovely, I know if I asked them about it, they would say it is fine, just to be nice and keep me happy. After all, I am cooking, they wouldn't complain.

So I need an unbiased, not-afraid-to-upset-me opinion please

Thanks smile

HardFacedCareeristBitchNigel Mon 21-Oct-13 18:52:14

No, I would think "oooooo chicken casserole. Jolly good, I hate turkey"

sparkle12mar08 Mon 21-Oct-13 18:53:02

I'd be very disappointed too, sorry!

muchadoaboutsomething Mon 21-Oct-13 18:53:07

I think it would be lovely, but I really don't like roast dinners. Never have, and therefore don't tend to have them at Christmas either. I think traditional Christmas dinner in the uk is vile though. But then I don't like pigs in blankets, roast potatoes or cranberry sauce. Mind you I don't like turkey either! Give me a lovely casserole and lovely company any day, especially if making a casserole makes everything more relaxed.

HardFacedCareeristBitchNigel Mon 21-Oct-13 18:53:18

in fact, your chicken casserole sounds so delicious I might do it as a "meat option" for Crimbo day. I can eat that instead grin

ExcuseTypos Mon 21-Oct-13 18:53:18

The kids will always remember the year, mum made a casserolewink

Just cook a small chicken with all the trimmings.

ErrolTheDragon Mon 21-Oct-13 18:54:19

>It sounds like a lot more work than just shoving a bird in the oven though, would be my only concern!

def more work than the breast roasts!

Waswondering Mon 21-Oct-13 18:55:31

I too would miss turkey.

Could a turkey crown be an alternative?

Picturesinthefirelight Mon 21-Oct-13 18:56:22

I live roast dinners but don't like casseroles much as I don't like things cooked in sny kind of sauce.

I'd feel quite cheated as casserole is defiantly An everyday use up your bits if stuff kind of meal.

Redtartanshoes Mon 21-Oct-13 18:56:32

crisps nachos?? For Christmas dinner???

Honestly???

deepfriedsage Mon 21-Oct-13 18:56:58

Not on Christmas day. I would prefer chicken or duck over turkey anyday.

loopydoo Mon 21-Oct-13 18:57:53

I have to say, we are really not into the huge Christmas dinner thing either.
This year we're off to Center Parcs and we might have a takeaway!
My mum always does meat and trimmings but I don't really know why she can't just do a lasagne or something to reduce her kitchen time grin.

Last year, we had duck breast but the kids refused to eat it!!

sounds fine for me but i hate turkey and could care less about 'Christmas dinner' we normally just have buffet stuff and eat as and when. Me and the teenagers have been taking it in turns in doing dinner for the last few years and its my DD turn this year and we are having kebabs from takeaway her choice, my DS did roast beef last year.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 21-Oct-13 19:00:57

I'd be gutted. And I'd bitch about it all year too sad, which is roughly what I've done about a certain relatives offering for last Christmas dinner.

pictish Mon 21-Oct-13 19:02:07

Yes. I wouldn't I complain about a casserole with all the trimmings. I'd think 'someone cooked for me - how nice!' and then tuck right in.

usualsuspect Mon 21-Oct-13 19:03:09

Get a turkey crown.

UC Mon 21-Oct-13 19:03:50

I think it sounds yummy. We rarely have turkey for xmas dinner. Last year, slow cooked beef.

they should all just be pleased you're doing lunch!

ErrolTheDragon Mon 21-Oct-13 19:06:27

Turkey is a relatively recent innovation ... people used to have roast beef or game pies.

CoolStoryBro Mon 21-Oct-13 19:07:51

Why don't you just ask your in-laws? They're the only ones who will be bothered about it!!

insanityscratching Mon 21-Oct-13 19:08:15

On the one hand I'd be disappointed because chicken casserole, even outstanding chicken casserole is a bit meh in my books. But on the other and I'd love that I hadn't had to cook myself.

Snog Mon 21-Oct-13 19:08:48

roast chucken fine, casserole woukd be vv disappointing

wonderingsoul Mon 21-Oct-13 19:09:38

i would eat it and not say anything out politness and of course thank you but for me it wouldnt be the same, doesnt have to be turky, chicken or even lamb if you want to push the boat out lol

but its needs the trimmings and stew just doesnt go with it.

Youhaventseenme Mon 21-Oct-13 19:10:07

One year my SIL served frozen turkey, frozen mash, and frozen roasties, we have never been back.

You can imagine how I would react to chicken casserole. grin

wonderingsoul Mon 21-Oct-13 19:10:17

saying that i had chiken stew tonight with boiled potatoes.. but yummy.. but nothing special lol

edlyu Mon 21-Oct-13 19:12:05

I would hate it -but thats only because I dont like other peoples casserole.

I would however be absolutely fine with any other offering -Pie and chips or like teenagertantrums Dd takeaway kebab for example.

usualsuspect Mon 21-Oct-13 19:13:09

Although we always have roast beef,so I'm not sure why I think you should have turkey.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now