If you were given a chicken casserole on Christmas Day, instead of a roast....

(136 Posts)
HuevosRancheros Mon 21-Oct-13 18:28:48

.....would you feel like you'd been cheated?

DH is veggie (so will have a quorn fillet casserole anyway), DCs are quite fussy, so I thought I'd do a casserole that can be made a couple of days before, so removing some of the 'timing stress' I seem to have when doing a roast drinking loads of Bucks Fizz during the morning has nothing to do with it, oh no
I would do a naice one, with shallots, baby mushrooms, chestnuts, port etc. And all the usual trimmings - roast potatoes and parsnips, brussels, etc. Could even push the boat out and do pigs in blankets grin

But my in-laws are coming too. They are lovely, I know if I asked them about it, they would say it is fine, just to be nice and keep me happy. After all, I am cooking, they wouldn't complain.

So I need an unbiased, not-afraid-to-upset-me opinion please

Thanks smile

Lightupatnightpants Mon 21-Oct-13 18:31:16

Yes. Sorry! But I love turkey - it's my favourite meal of the whole year!

MrsPnut Mon 21-Oct-13 18:32:01

I wouldn't be impressed (sorry), roast chicken would be absolutely fine but not a casserole.

Roast meat keeps warm for a lot longer than you think, especially if covered in tin foil and it makes the meat juicier.

Waferthinmint Mon 21-Oct-13 18:33:00

Gutted

AdoraBell Chile Mon 21-Oct-13 18:33:06

Sounds like a lovely idea to me.

I once did salmón on Christmas day for friends. They had a roast at home on Boxing day.

Theas18 Mon 21-Oct-13 18:33:22

V I'd be quite happy. With letting me know though as I'd probably have the turkey dinner at the work "do" rather that the veggie menu as I usually do.

HarderToKidnap Mon 21-Oct-13 18:33:31

Casserole for Christmas dinner!!!! Is this real???

My favourite bit is the trimmings so if there were roasties and piggies then I'd be happy if you served an old tennis shoe!

My only small casserole sadness would be that I love a beef or lamb casserole and chicken casserole always seems a bit watery. Yours might be fantastic though so I'll accept your judgement on that grin

sweetkitty Mon 21-Oct-13 18:34:11

I'm veggie too so wouldn't mind really if someone else was making it is be happy with anything

googietheegg Mon 21-Oct-13 18:34:55

I would be v disappointed! A good roast chicken dinner would be fabulous.

I wouldn't be overly impressed but I'd be too bloody grateful that someone was cooking Xmas dinner for me to complain.

It would be a different story if it were veggie food though grin

CrockedPot Mon 21-Oct-13 18:35:32

I would be fed up, sorry.

gamerchick Mon 21-Oct-13 18:36:56

We have curry for Christmas day.. ordered the night before. No slaving in the kitchen for anybody.

It really wouldn't bother me what somebody gave.

bigTillyMint Mon 21-Oct-13 18:37:02

I don't think a chicken casserole, however fancy, would really take the place of a roast. Roast chicken, beef, pork or lamb would be fine though.

HuevosRancheros Mon 21-Oct-13 18:41:55

Wow, I have never had so many responses so fast, must be hitting a nerve!

I definitely won't be doing turkey, did one a couple of years ago and got so fed up with the leftovers... even the smallest is too big.

So the other option is obviously roast chicken......

The casserole would definitely be chicken, as I was veggie til not long ago, so chicken is the only meat I can contemplate. And the kids don't really like chunks of meat type stew/casseroles

But as I said, it would come with all the trimmings..... smile

And it would be a superb casserole grin

Then casserole away! grin

ErrolTheDragon Mon 21-Oct-13 18:43:47

Your casserole sounds lovely; roast turkey often really isn't.

If the other people on the thread have convinced you that you need to do a roast, how about one of those prepared breast roasts (eg M&S which has nice chestnut stuffing) - they don't take forever to cook and have the timings on them. In common with any roast, you rest them at the end for at least 20mins so that gives time to sort out the veg and pigs.

SugarHut Mon 21-Oct-13 18:44:40

"Casserole?...." <<head tilt>> "How lovely dear...."

BikeRunSki Brazil Mon 21-Oct-13 18:44:41

I'm veggie
I cook
We have nachos and all the sides
If anyone has a problem with that they can cook whatever they like whenever they like. They just never do.

ouryve Mon 21-Oct-13 18:46:44

Christmas eve or boxing day - fine.

Christmas day, I'd feel sad at the lack of turkey.

ouryve Mon 21-Oct-13 18:48:41

And turkey leftovers freeze, so you don't need to spend forever eating them.

And actually, I tell a lie, we've taken to having a salmon roast of some sort on Christmas day and buying a posh turkey half price in M&S on boxing day!

29chapel Mon 21-Oct-13 18:50:14

NOOOOO!!! Christmas calls for turkey!

Wallison Mon 21-Oct-13 18:50:24

I think it sounds absolutely lovely. Tbh I'd just be happy that you cooked for me but your casserole sounds genuinely tasty and I'd be more than happy for that to be served up for me.

It sounds like a lot more work than just shoving a bird in the oven though, would be my only concern!

ShatnersEmptyCatacomb Mon 21-Oct-13 18:51:14

Casserole is never anything but so-so. Christmas dinner really needs to be something out of the ordinary and indulgent. Casserole is what busy parents make every other week in winter.

I'd be disappointed.

Elsiequadrille Mon 21-Oct-13 18:51:36

It sounds like an extra nice casserole. It wouldn't be my first choice but I certainly wouldn't complain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now