Ideas for presents to go in homemade crackers please

(19 Posts)
HuevosRancheros Mon 21-Oct-13 12:11:53

This year, I am finally going to make Christmas crackers, honest grin

But, what to fill them with?
If you have made them before, would you mind sharing with me the kind of things you put inside? I realise it is a very personal-to-the-person-it-is-for kind of thing, but any inspiration would be great! smile

I have 2 dcs (DD 5 and DS3), DH who is into sciency/gadgetty stuff, FIL who likes beer, wine and baking, would possibly also like gadgetty stuff, and MIL who likes gardening, food and drink. Would also like 'beauty' stuff, so thought maybe nail varnish, mini hand creams etc

For the kids I thought these finger monsters would keep them entertained without creating chaos at the dinner table

TIA smile

Leilandri Mon 21-Oct-13 12:39:15

I'm making my own this year too.
I have 2 DS's (2 and 4) so have found some lightweight little cars in poundland, but I like the look of those finger monsters too!
DH, Ddad and both of my brothers have an alcohol minature, a sachet of millicano coffee and a few mint matchmakers in each of theirs, for after dinner drinks.
My mum has a selection of seed packets, mini nail file and tiny tube of handcream, and I'm undecided what I shall put in mine! grin

attheendoftheday Mon 21-Oct-13 15:48:52

I am putting a schleich animal in each of the dd's crackers, and a fire steel in for dp. I am putting some naalbinding needles in for myself, but that's a bit of a niche hobby!

The dds are a bit little still, but when they're bigger I might try indoor fireworks.

Barbeasty Mon 21-Oct-13 16:34:46

You can get a pack with small tubes of Crabtree & Evelyn gardener hand repair stuff in, they all fit in nicely.

Maybe something like a keyring bottle opener for your FIL?

Stuff like memory sticks fit nicely, I'm planning to attempt to put a stylus for DH's tablet in his, or a car charger depending on what fits.

You can (just) fit a pair of socks in one. Previous years I've put in amazon vouchers (any paper voucher is fine, credit card style doesn't fit properly), scratch cards, a cigar, jewellery, perfume (the tiny sample type bottles), makeup, indoor fireworks.

I'm attempting to fit a new veg peeler in mine this year. My current one is getting blunt.

Alcohol miniatures fit nicely.

HuevosRancheros Mon 21-Oct-13 16:43:08

Brilliant, some great ideas, thanks smile

I have just ordered the "free" Telegraph veg seeds as mentioned on the Christmas thread, so can pop some of those in.
The Gardener's hand cream would be great, she loves it, but we have just bought a massive tub of it for MIL's birthday grin
Had a look at the fire steel, think DH would love it. Might be a bit OTT for camping with a gas stove, but hey!
And good to know that alcohol miniatures will fit

Any more ideas?

smile

Dosey Mon 21-Oct-13 17:45:26

Scratch cards. If you go on the bargain thread there are links to jewellery sellers with necklaces and bracelets for about £1.00, I have ordered a few of these and they are really pretty. Also there is a seller on eBay selling Christmas broaches for £1.00 free delivery. I have ordered these for cracker pressies and teachers pressies.
I hope this helps and sorry I am no good at links x

HuevosRancheros Mon 21-Oct-13 17:49:42

Ooh, DD would love some sparkly jewellery, thanks for that smile
That reminds me, there were those cheapo wooden "watches", DS is desperate for a watch, but I refuse to pay money for a real one....he will have lost/broken it before he learns to tell the time?

pateran Mon 21-Oct-13 19:37:03

I think it can also depend on why you are doing these. If it is for fun or to ensure decent gifts and cost is no object then the sky is the limit. If it is for cost then it can be hard

I have done the jewelry, perfume, gadgets like below for DH,cars for DS. I got Take That concert tickets in mine one year from DH. Well cool!! Eh keyrings for football team - portable phone charger. Honest think bit.

I thought about doing a treassure hunt in DS who is 7 to a bigger gift it could keep the suspense going.

pateran Mon 21-Oct-13 19:37:58

sorry!!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/True-Utility-Keyring-Essentials-Triple/dp/B00FSFPQ9M/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1382380378&sr=8-6&keywords=True+Utility+Keytool

HuevosRancheros Mon 21-Oct-13 19:51:14

That's a good point, pateran
My idea is to have crackers, but not have the plastic tat that invariable goes in the bin by the end of the day (or, worse still, hangs around for months....)
So a token gift that the recipient will like, but not anything of great value, not a main present, as it were

DumSpiroSpero Mon 21-Oct-13 22:48:06

I usually do scratch cards and champagne truffles.

finger lights are being raved about on the stocking filler thread so they might be good for the DC's, along with chocolate coins or some other kind of festive choc.

KCumberSandwich Tue 22-Oct-13 00:04:08

I am making giant crackers this year, not for the table but more as a way of wrapping gifts and will have some small cracker themed things in too. i haven't started yet but thought of maybe some bubbles, party hat with name on, little coin holders for the men, a sparkler, photo keyrings, mini torches, i noticed wilko had some little multitools that are small and were only a few quid.

with regards to your lo's watch i got DS a spiderman watch on ebay for 99p, its a proper watch so if it lasts he can learn time on it and if not its not been a huge expense. amazon also have really cheap ones too- if you search whatever theme you would want, eg fireman sam, doctor who or whatever.

SunnyRandall Tue 22-Oct-13 09:55:23

For me, dm and dsis - alcohol miniature, mini naice handcream, choc of some kind

Dc - lego minifigure, xmas choc or sweets, wooden bead bracelet. This year they are getting those fingers lights though!

Dh - usb memory stick, mini aftershave, choc. This yearhe may be getting a lego keyring or mini torch thingy.

Grown up niece/nephew - xmas scratchcard, mini aftershave/perfume, nail varnish, choc. Can't bring myself to give them alcohol as they are still my baby niece and nephew despite the fact they are both in their twenties and earn way more than me or dh

MERLYPUSS Tue 22-Oct-13 11:25:46

Lynx minis fit in. Nail varnish. Wacky shoe laces. Socks. Yo-Yo. Bakugan. Manicure set. Bottle opener. Folding toothbrush. Vouchers. Kids finger skateboards. Jumping beans. Matchbox cars. USB stick.
We did this last year.

LesVerresdeMer Mon 21-Nov-16 00:23:22

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

DustyMaiden Mon 21-Nov-16 00:28:17

Targeted jokes, spent ages finding ones to suit everyone.

AChickenCalledKorma Mon 21-Nov-16 08:34:26

I've got a pack of six little Christmas novelty erasers and a pack of six stick-on moustaches that will be split up and put into ours. I'm aiming for a selection of little things that don't cost much, but are more fun than a paper hat grin

atticusclaw2 Mon 21-Nov-16 08:40:00

I have three little girls (3-6) who will all be getting glow sticks with connectors so that they can make necklaces etc (£1 in home bargains). DSs will get a lego figure. The rest will probably get alcohol miniatures.

First time making them so I'm looking forward to it grin

carrie74 Mon 21-Nov-16 17:25:32

I did these last year. Each DC got a Legominifigure and a novelty USB stick (Tom & Jerry). He had a Chewbacca USB stick, Dad had a miniature bottle of whisky and me & Mum had mini L'Occitane hand creams. We got a kit to make them with snaps, jokes and hats, then my daughter and I made them up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now