Lego novice

(14 Posts)
HazeltheMcWitch Sun 20-Oct-13 00:22:35

smile

Marne Sat 19-Oct-13 21:42:28

Dd2 is 7 and is faster at building lego than me smile, I now have to wait until she is bed if I want a go. We have one of the creator houses which she can build on her own, have bought some bigger sets (lego friends) but i'm sure I still wont be needed. Dd1 (almost 10) on the other hand is useless at building it.

fuzzpig Sat 19-Oct-13 20:53:24

Not sure if offer is still on but I got the ideas book for £2.99 on the book people smile

AuntyEntropy Sat 19-Oct-13 20:51:32

Argos and John Lewis worth checking for prices as well, they both sometimes have very good deals in run up to Xmas.

AuntyEntropy Sat 19-Oct-13 20:50:13

The 11 year old might enjoy The Lego Ideas book and/or Brick City (Lego for adults) book. Both are excellent, but check he hasn't got them.
ideas book Brick City
Otherwise you'll probably need a bit of guidance because he probably has a preferred type. I'd pick Technical Lego if you can find any in budget, eg quad bike.

For the 6 year old I'd go Lego Creator, really good value sets, and assuming he's a keen builder then perhaps be a bit optimistic with the age range.

For the 5 year old go Lego City.

HazeltheMcWitch Sat 19-Oct-13 20:19:24

Oh no! How old is she? How long have I got left 'to help'?

Marne Sat 19-Oct-13 19:46:43

I have bought dd2 a few sets this year but I'm slightly disappointed that she no longer wants me to help put them together.

HazeltheMcWitch Sat 19-Oct-13 18:46:16

OOh, thanks Marne for the head-up re tree house. It is indeed recco'd for ages 7-12. I have just bought it 'for my DS, aged 4'.
Well, I love lego AND treehouses, so he shall be closely supervised. I may even feel the need to check all the bits are there, as soon as it arrives...

fuzzpig Sat 19-Oct-13 18:32:54

True, I love it grin just that some preteens may feel they are too old iyswim

Marne Sat 19-Oct-13 18:19:23

And no one is ever too old for lego, they do sets aimed at adults smile.

Marne Sat 19-Oct-13 18:18:11

Loads of offers on Amazon, the tree house creator set is on offer as are some of the other creator kits ( I think they are age 7+ ), they are great kits because they make 3 different models.

fuzzpig Sat 19-Oct-13 18:01:05

But anyway amazon is a safe bet for lego, usually free delivery and below RRP.

fuzzpig Sat 19-Oct-13 18:00:39

Hmm well the eldest might be a bit old for lego unless you've been specifically told they like it? There is older lego stuff anyway, technic or something? Or Star Wars or hobbit/LOTR?

For the younger ones there's character sets like teenage mutant ninja turtles, Lone Ranger etc. and Lego City has a massive range at various prices.

Or if you know they have lots of normal bricks, could you supplement it with stuff like roof tiles, doors/windows, wheels sets.

There are also lego board games.

Sorry that's probably made your predicament worse not better blush

sleepdodger Sat 19-Oct-13 17:47:10

I am a lego novice and I need ...
god son birthday present (5yo budget £20)
nephew birthday present (11yo budget 12),
godchild christmas present (age 6 budget 14)
and a nephew Christmas present (11 yo budget c.£12) all Lego based
What is the best set for best least money pref online... Thanks!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now