The annual search for a Family Board Game

(63 Posts)

My DC will be 14 and 11.6 at Christmas.
Last year I bought "Sherlock Cluedo" (it was reduced) . It was okay but nothing wildly exciting (but I'm not a huge Sherlock fan wink )

I've got an ancient Trivial Persuit game. But my DC won't have a clue about the questions.
Can you still get the replacement upgrade questions?

Any other recommendations?

TIA

Oohh loads to read through (and I have never heard of most o these blush ) . You can see how long it is since I've bought games.

We have a Monopoly Game, the regular Cleudo, Scrabble, Sherlock Cleudo and some Christmas Dominos.

DD likes the games for two so she tries to stop her big brother joining in hmm. I would like a game for DH, the DC and I , if only to keep DS away from his precious X-Box .

Dancergirl Sun 20-Oct-13 08:54:48

Set card game is brilliant.

We also like Ingenious, can be played with 2, 3 or 4.

My dc are a bit younger, oldest is 12, but this year I am getting Harry Potter destination board game and Mexican Train.

FloJo151 Sun 20-Oct-13 08:46:56

pass the bomb is a favourite in our house, tis very funny watching people trying to come up with words!!!! there is also a junior version.

myrtleWilson Sun 20-Oct-13 08:38:50

We like Dominion, ticket to ride, pandemic, 7 wonders...

EustaciaVye Sun 20-Oct-13 08:29:21

Qwirkle is great.
if you don't mind second hand Escape From Atlantis is a favourite in our house.

bankerror Sun 20-Oct-13 00:15:55

Quirkle is great. Very good for age 6-100+. Easy to learn and play and kept us and 4 cousins happy for days in a rainy October half term.

Bananagrams - good for older kids who can read/ spell. More portable than SCrabble.

ancientbuchanan Sun 20-Oct-13 00:06:50

Also animal grab. Happy families/snap with animal noises.

raisah Sat 19-Oct-13 06:41:58

Articulate - word description game
Bird bingo - bingo with pictures of birds instead of numbers

Both fun without being obviously educational

ErrolTheDragon Sat 19-Oct-13 00:06:10

thanksTakver!

pootlebug Fri 18-Oct-13 22:35:17

Mah Jong. And a book to explain the rules. You need all four of you though. It is very addictive.

fuzzpig Fri 18-Oct-13 22:28:26

Ah rivers roads and rails. Loved that game, DS still plays with my old set!

wearymum200 Fri 18-Oct-13 21:53:39

Am enjoying the suggestions on here, will go off and google. Think Ticket to Ride too tricky for 5 yr old (if v patient could play as part of a team); Carcassone is actually v simple and my 4 yr old plays happily with the rest of us. Rivers Roads and Rails is kind of similar.
How about backgammon for 7yo and grandad? Simple rules, but q addictive.

SugarMiceInTheRain Fri 18-Oct-13 21:51:21

The Big Taboo, Cranium, Pictionary and Rummikub are all games we love as a family.

Takver Fri 18-Oct-13 21:47:36

Oops blush I was just overwhelmed and acquired yet another game for the cupboard. Now I just need to decide whether it should go in DD or DH's xmas stocking . . . grin

Takver Fri 18-Oct-13 21:37:58

7 year old + grandad - maybe Carcassonne?

Just thought of another good family post Xmas dinner one - Once Upon a Time

Takver Fri 18-Oct-13 21:34:27

ErrolTheDragon - we have quite a few that are good with 2 players. For a first thought:
Carcassone - the instructions look complicated, but in fact once you get through them it is super simple to play.
Dominion - again you have to fight through the instructions the first time but a really nice 'light' game
San Juan - good with 2 though better with three
Abalone (haven't played this myself yet, but DD & Dh like it a lot)
Tantrix (I love this game, dd likes it too, DH less keen - doesn't suffer from the 'oh my god' factor when you read the instructions unlike so many board games)
The boardgamegeek website is a good place to read up on games & get a feel for what they might be like

ErrolTheDragon Fri 18-Oct-13 20:29:12

thanks Fuzzpig. Pentago looks like a sort of more complicated connect-4 ... might go for that. Khet looks a bit complicated to start post-xmas lunch! grin

Angie1978 Fri 18-Oct-13 19:26:28

What about a board game for a 7 year old and very patience grandad? We have scrabble (they like that), frustration (grandad doesn't appreciate this one!) and junior monopoly.

I'm planning on smart ass for the grown ups

You all seem to be board game gurus.

Pancakeflipper Fri 18-Oct-13 19:07:07

Thank you Yama quickly adds this to my Christmas spreadsheet before I forget

I love Mexican Train - that's my offering to good games.

Yama Fri 18-Oct-13 18:58:39

I think I need Where is Moldova. Sixty general knowledge categories!

The write up says - 'If all of the best board games in the world were rolled into one, Where Is Moldova? would be the result! Simply incredible.'

Yama Fri 18-Oct-13 18:53:55

PancakeFlipper - yes, my dd loves Ticket To Ride. She's 7 and I'd say we've had it about a year.

Thanks for the Quirkle info DontCallMeBaby and Fuzzpig.

TeaAndCakeOrDeath Fri 18-Oct-13 18:52:03

Yea, Im getting Linkee this year too! And have just bought Where is Moldova? , havent played it yet though so cant vouch for it...

fuzzpig Fri 18-Oct-13 18:51:51

Errol I feel your pain on the two player issue!

I love pentago and laser khet, both for 2.

Also tempted to try abalone but not sure how good it is.

Pancakeflipper Fri 18-Oct-13 18:48:44

Nothing Headless but Christmas just ain't Christmas without a new game to play.

headlesslambrini Fri 18-Oct-13 18:47:33

<tuts>
what's wrong with guess who, monopoly or cluedo?

<wonders about getting old>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now