The annual search for a Family Board Game

(63 Posts)

My DC will be 14 and 11.6 at Christmas.
Last year I bought "Sherlock Cluedo" (it was reduced) . It was okay but nothing wildly exciting (but I'm not a huge Sherlock fan wink )

I've got an ancient Trivial Persuit game. But my DC won't have a clue about the questions.
Can you still get the replacement upgrade questions?

Any other recommendations?

TIA

SugarMiceInTheRain Fri 18-Oct-13 21:51:21

The Big Taboo, Cranium, Pictionary and Rummikub are all games we love as a family.

wearymum200 Fri 18-Oct-13 21:53:39

Am enjoying the suggestions on here, will go off and google. Think Ticket to Ride too tricky for 5 yr old (if v patient could play as part of a team); Carcassone is actually v simple and my 4 yr old plays happily with the rest of us. Rivers Roads and Rails is kind of similar.
How about backgammon for 7yo and grandad? Simple rules, but q addictive.

fuzzpig Fri 18-Oct-13 22:28:26

Ah rivers roads and rails. Loved that game, DS still plays with my old set!

pootlebug Fri 18-Oct-13 22:35:17

Mah Jong. And a book to explain the rules. You need all four of you though. It is very addictive.

ErrolTheDragon Sat 19-Oct-13 00:06:10

thanksTakver!

raisah Sat 19-Oct-13 06:41:58

Articulate - word description game
Bird bingo - bingo with pictures of birds instead of numbers

Both fun without being obviously educational

ancientbuchanan Sun 20-Oct-13 00:06:50

Also animal grab. Happy families/snap with animal noises.

bankerror Sun 20-Oct-13 00:15:55

Quirkle is great. Very good for age 6-100+. Easy to learn and play and kept us and 4 cousins happy for days in a rainy October half term.

Bananagrams - good for older kids who can read/ spell. More portable than SCrabble.

EustaciaVye Sun 20-Oct-13 08:29:21

Qwirkle is great.
if you don't mind second hand Escape From Atlantis is a favourite in our house.

myrtleWilson Sun 20-Oct-13 08:38:50

We like Dominion, ticket to ride, pandemic, 7 wonders...

FloJo151 Sun 20-Oct-13 08:46:56

pass the bomb is a favourite in our house, tis very funny watching people trying to come up with words!!!! there is also a junior version.

Dancergirl Sun 20-Oct-13 08:54:48

Set card game is brilliant.

We also like Ingenious, can be played with 2, 3 or 4.

My dc are a bit younger, oldest is 12, but this year I am getting Harry Potter destination board game and Mexican Train.

Oohh loads to read through (and I have never heard of most o these blush ) . You can see how long it is since I've bought games.

We have a Monopoly Game, the regular Cleudo, Scrabble, Sherlock Cleudo and some Christmas Dominos.

DD likes the games for two so she tries to stop her big brother joining in hmm. I would like a game for DH, the DC and I , if only to keep DS away from his precious X-Box .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now