The annual search for a Family Board Game

(63 Posts)

My DC will be 14 and 11.6 at Christmas.
Last year I bought "Sherlock Cluedo" (it was reduced) . It was okay but nothing wildly exciting (but I'm not a huge Sherlock fan wink )

I've got an ancient Trivial Persuit game. But my DC won't have a clue about the questions.
Can you still get the replacement upgrade questions?

Any other recommendations?

TIA

Morgause Fri 18-Oct-13 17:11:57
PedlarsSpanner Fri 18-Oct-13 17:13:00

yes you can get new question boxes for Triv

10 days in..... are great games (africa, europe etc)

this game

bodiddly Fri 18-Oct-13 17:13:14

I've bought that for this year Morgause after reading about it on here. Fingers crossed its as good as everyone says!

jungletoes Fri 18-Oct-13 17:13:52

Ingenious is really good.

Thurlow Fri 18-Oct-13 17:13:53

We've been playing The Village - it's a bit complicated to understand, but it's really good once you get the hang of it. I'm sure it says from age 12.

Morgause Fri 18-Oct-13 17:14:08

We have its many variations as well, bodiddly. Totally addicted.

morethanpotatoprints Fri 18-Oct-13 17:14:14

I wouldn't buy the logo game, unless your dc are nearly grown up.
Ours had no idea of the answers and it was so boring.
How old are your dc?
I know we have similar problem and might just opt for one of those compilation compendium things that includes some silly traditional parlour games too.

drawsofdrawers Fri 18-Oct-13 17:14:28

Rummikub
Articulate
Absolute balderdash
Cards and a book of games
Perudo

Bunbaker Fri 18-Oct-13 17:15:03

My sister bought Carcasonne last year and we all played it - sis, me 20 year old, 16 year old and 12 year old. It is an excellent game that doesn't get boring after you have played for a while.

dobedobedo Fri 18-Oct-13 17:16:32

Articulate is our family favourite. Our Articulate game gets passed around the extended family quite regularly too!

Takver Fri 18-Oct-13 17:34:07

YY to Articulate, love it, also Absolute Balderdash - a hit here even with people like my Dad who hate board games.

Agree also Ticket To Ride, excellent Christmas game.

We also all like Pandemic which is a bit different, its a co-operative game where the players work together to 'beat the game' but not at all as hippyish as that sounds, we own a million board games (not quite literally but it feels like it) and it is definitely a good change.

Takver Fri 18-Oct-13 17:34:52

Should say great thing with Balderdash is you can play with a dozen people quite easily without it being slow/boring as you all do stuff at once, if that makes sense, so again v. good as a Christmas game.

chicaguapa Fri 18-Oct-13 17:40:15

Rapidough is amazing. Our family loves it and it's suitable for all ages. You have to sculpt what the card says and then your team has to guess what it is. If you don't guess, you lose a bit of your play doh until you have the tiniest scrap left and are trying to make it look like a tree. The games are fast and you can have lots of people playing or just 4. DS always takes it into school on bring a game day.

We've just bought Bananagrams too which has gone down well, but we are a bit linguistic as a family.

Takver Fri 18-Oct-13 17:44:46

Oh yes, Rapidough is fab, one of dd's friends has it << contemplates new game and lack of space in cupboard >>

fuzzpig Fri 18-Oct-13 17:48:20

My favourites are carcassonne, settlers of catan, cranium, doodle dice, yahtzee, qwirkle cubes, jungle speed, animal upon animal, ntropy outbalance

GaryBuseysTeeth Fri 18-Oct-13 17:51:45

Dobble is amazing, you can play it anywhere.

We got Smart Ass last year and it went down well, though some of the questions were quite challenging for our boys last year when they were 12 and 11. OH and I had to bite our tongues a wee bit just to give them a chance.

www.jacinabox.co.uk/p-4272-smart-ass-game.aspx?cagpspn=pla&gclid=CIXHsIPsoLoCFfMctAodXA4AIg

fuzzpig Fri 18-Oct-13 17:54:15

That's the one I'm planning to get this year funnily enough smile DCs love spotting things so should be a hit all round.

Also getting brain box art edition and monsters university top trumps but those are more for younger ones (although I shall enjoy them anyway!)

fuzzpig Fri 18-Oct-13 17:54:44

(I mean dobble is what we are getting)

fuzzpig Fri 18-Oct-13 17:56:46

You might not want to get a second hand game for Xmas but the 'out of print' game Payday is great fun.

fuzzpig Fri 18-Oct-13 17:57:47

Has anyone here got Joggle? It's been on my wish list for a while.

Also Gigamic games - Quarto and Gobblet?

ConnieBowskill Fri 18-Oct-13 17:58:04

Scotland Yard is great for teens upwards, adults too, gets the adrenaline going!

ancientbuchanan Fri 18-Oct-13 18:00:27

Have you got Pit?

V funny trading game. Happy families but commoditirs instead) with shouting and cheating. Wonderful game. Over a century old. Brilliant.

Essexgirlupnorth Fri 18-Oct-13 18:06:37

Blokus is good. Ticket to ride is good

Dixit is good but the cards are a bit weird (it's French)

Board game geek is good for a bit of research and reviews of board games.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now