Unusual stocking fillers that aren't plastic tat

(332 Posts)
ObtuseAngel Wed 16-Oct-13 13:05:41

The things that websites and shops tout as stocking fillers are usually nasty overpriced plastic toys that break straight away. What we need is a nice long list of things that will be cheap, useful and interesting. Obviously everyone already knows about patterned pencils and unusually shaped rubbers, but it would be good to have other stuff too.

I will contribute:

Plaque disclosing liquid/tablets. DS got a pack of these in a party bag last year and I thought WTF, but he and DD really loved using them.

Mini magnetic bookmarks, DS is a keen reader but gets very frustrated if his bookmark falls out and he looses his place so I bought him these and he loves them.

Cremolafoam Sat 19-Oct-13 23:35:18

elf
£10 off first ordergrin

Cremolafoam Sat 19-Oct-13 23:36:13

That's for you Duvethogsmile
Sorry am on phone and cut and paste is rubbish

Throughthelongnight Sun 20-Oct-13 10:38:14

Matalan is a veritable treasure trove of Christmas georgeousness this year, wish I hadn't looked!

cremolafoam - thanks for those suggestions. I will have a look at those. Not sure DS would be into the books (he has so many books I thought he would like but doesn't) but I have two nephews who they would be perfect for.

Those little matchbox dolls look very cute. What age would they be suitable for? Have nieces age 2 and 4.

Rubybrazilianwax Sun 20-Oct-13 11:46:55

If anyones dc are in guides/scouts lots of bits on amazon if you search for yks. I got wind up torches and survival bracelets

Bakingtins Sun 20-Oct-13 13:14:39

I want a Maileg mouse for me! Would anyone like to do me a stocking?

Thanks so much for this thread everyone! I have now ordered:

Various pairs of skeleton and converse socks for DS and niece and nephews
One of those survival bracelet thingies
Finger lights
The 39 clues book set
The gloves that you can use a smartphone with
Magnetic bookmarks

And I am going to order some of those puzzles from the happy puzzle company for DS and DH.

I think with chocolate coins and the bits I already had that is DS's stocking done.

Thank you all thanks

Snoopytwist Sun 20-Oct-13 18:21:07
ObtuseAngel Sun 20-Oct-13 19:00:22

So many good things. Thank you for all the great suggestions. I particularly love The Happy Puzzle Company and want to buy loads of stuff for myself the DC. grin

I was going to give you a link to an Etsy shop that did amazing felt Kindle and phone covers, but when I went to find the link the woman wasn't trading there anymore. So instead I will give you Decal Girl which has stickers for phones, kindles and all sorts of things, plus hard covers for phones. DS's Kindle looks like this, my Kindle looks like this and my phone looks like this.

DaftMaul Sun 20-Oct-13 23:08:24

Bath Sprudels and bath beans. Great fun at bath time. My two played with the foam shapes for ages afterwards.

Bath beans

3bunnies Mon 21-Oct-13 20:18:52

Can't link but amazon have Guatemalan worry dolls for £2.95. Dd1 got some a few years ago from oxfam. She uses them if she can't sleep and is worried. Would make good stocking filler.

mikkii Mon 21-Oct-13 21:57:38

In addition to the things above I got some Lego fireman 8gb flash drives, 3 for £15, which are great for secret Santa presents
www.thehut.com/computing/memory-usb/lego-minifigure-8gb-usb-flash-drive-fireman/10835944.html?vwo_101_hnm=true

Also the shrinking flannels, hair bobbles for the girls.

Today I bought chocolate sprouts from M&S

comeandgo Tue 22-Oct-13 12:08:17

Love this thread. Such great ideas grin

sapphirestar Tue 22-Oct-13 15:30:46

This may well be nasty plastic tat but thought it was worth a go for £1.79 delievered, I've just ordered one. Bonus points if it actually works!!

Solar powered dancing flower

FriskyMare Tue 22-Oct-13 19:00:29

I bought the chocolate sprouts (3 for2) for my sprout hating dh and teen dc.

Am desperately wondering if I should get Mailag mice for my nieces who will be visiting this Christmas, have already got them both lego but those mice are so cute!

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 22-Oct-13 22:14:26

Have bought the disclosing tablets today. Off to look at maileg mouse and try and read the rest if the tread smile

hermioneweasley Tue 22-Oct-13 22:22:50

Love the bath beans!

My two are a little older (13 and 9) but usually get

a magazine/comic (often Christmas specials are out)
sweets I won't usually allow
magic trick/puzzle/whoopee cushion type joke
bath stuff
underpants
socks

plus other things I can't think of at the moment and will update on when I get my Christmas book out!

DumSpiroSpero Tue 22-Oct-13 22:59:25

These mini Lego soaps look fun.

Also went in Wilko's the other day and they have some sweet little wooden instruments and craft kits for a couple of quid.

Also good for pet treats and toys if you're that way inclined!

Wiifitmama Wed 23-Oct-13 09:08:02

Thanks to the person who linked to the lovely satchel handbag from scaramamga. Mine just arrived and it is gorgeous! And it came in such a lovely cloth flowery bag too. I bought it for myself, not as a Xmas present for anyone, but it would make a very lovely present for someone else.

Wiifitmama Wed 23-Oct-13 09:08:32

Sorry, wrong thread! Meant to put it on the bargains one!

BeCool Wed 23-Oct-13 12:14:27

there are lots of lovely things for children on Not On The High Street -search using the price option in Childrens accessories (IE I search under £10) and loads of options come up:

purse

really cute clips

butterfly necklace

Sukebind Wed 23-Oct-13 13:36:00

Phoenix cards do some nice things like colour-in map of UK, colour-in posters, height charts, posters of kings and queens, bookmarks, colour-in thank you cards (very useful for after Christmas)
https://www.phoenix-trading.co.uk/web/corp/area/shop-online/category/stationery-and-miscellaneous/?bid=d1d6e82cc5154b0ac9ffe95e743799e2b7ffd715

Elsiequadrille Wed 23-Oct-13 14:28:13

I've just bought DD Henry VIII (and his six wives of course) Russian nesting dolls! I think the nesting dolls make nice stocking fillers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now