Mulled wine and Christmas morning brekky.....

(67 Posts)
lucysmam Sun 13-Oct-13 19:42:07

I've never tried mulled wine so can some lovely person give me a basic 'how to'?

And.....Can I have some ideas for Christmas day brekky that's a bit special please?

jennymac Wed 16-Oct-13 22:00:52

We have pancakes or waffles with maple syrup and bacon. Last year went for scrambled eggs and salmon but did't enjoy it as much.

Editededition Tue 15-Oct-13 23:53:02

......and sliced oranges!! grin

Spice bags are fine, but you really have to add sugar. I don't take sugar in anything but mulled wine needs it.

lucysmam Tue 15-Oct-13 21:15:49

I picked up some of the 'tea bag' bags of mulled wine in Sainsburys today to try over the weekend (so will have to invest in wine now grin )....

Still no closer to having a clue for brekky though confused ....need a day when we're all here to do some experimenting! I may even try pancakes again although I am partial to eggs, bacon, muffins, pastry and most things mentioned grin

VikingVagine Tue 15-Oct-13 18:50:52

Mulled wine is only really nice if you use really nice wine (which makes sense). If you have spices at home you can make your own mix using whole and grond spices, if you don't, then it might be cheaper to buy ready made mixes.

ScarerAndFuck Tue 15-Oct-13 16:22:32

We usually toast half a roll or bagel, then spread it with soft cheese and top it with salmon trimmings and a poached egg.

You can cheat the poached egg by breaking one into a cup and microwaving it for 30 seconds.

We have it with fresh orange juice or a very small glass of bucks fizz and it's surprisingly filling, so good for if you have a late in the day Christmas dinner.

I use mulled wine spice packets and a cheap red to make mine. Pop both into a pan and heat up.

Champagne (or Cava, or Prosecco) with OJ is nice too.

I love having fresh cinnamon rolls with icing on Xmas morning. grin My brother and I used to do this for our parents when we got old enough to use the oven - Pillsbury in the USA made it very easy for a couple of kids to do www.pillsbury.com/products/cinnamon-rolls. Last year, I made a batch from scratch.

Editededition Tue 15-Oct-13 13:52:27

I cheat slightly (so not truly poncey!) but have not found a recipe to better buying Bisquick and using the recipe on the back!
I have a lot of family in the US - so have eaten my fair share of home-cooked American pancakes........IMO this mix does the job exceedingly well grin

Prices & availability here

VikingVagine Tue 15-Oct-13 13:38:16

Has anyone got a good recipe for fluffy American pancakes?

fuzzpig Tue 15-Oct-13 09:51:02

Can't advise on the mulled wine <euuwwwww> but for breakfast last year we had pancakes with a choice of toppings. Nutella, nuts, whipped cream, fruit etc.

DD actually said the other day "I love Christmas because we have pancakes for breakfast" so I think it's become a tradition smile

Editededition Tue 15-Oct-13 04:21:47

Selection of fresh cooked danish pastries, here, plus first slice of the Christmas cake, for devotees.....washed down with tea/coffee, as this is usually quite early in the present opening stage.
Later in the morning, Bucks Fizz with Berry&Marzipan muffins.

PandaG Mon 14-Oct-13 22:31:28

Aldi's Gluhwein (mulled wine) is good and about £5 a bottle.

Christmas breakfast - homecooked gammon ham, sausage rolls, bread and butter. Don't know why but traditional breakfast in my family since I was tiny.

Dilidali Mon 14-Oct-13 22:03:37

mumtoone1 thank you for the tip.

I made Mulled Wine once (many years ago) - it smelled lovely but it was rough grin
I don't drink alcohol IRL (mainly because I'm the only driver) so I tend not to have a drink even at Christmas.

I always love the idea of a nice Christmas Breakfast but it never works,

On Christmas Eve we have toast, jam/marmalade , coffee and orange juice.Christmas Eve meal at lunchtime

Christmas Day we have coffee, not much else (but lots of Christmas Selection Box blush )

Boxing Day we have a big fried breakfast and a late dinner (last year homemade pizza)

LidlAngel Mon 14-Oct-13 21:10:21

Bottle of red, slosh of OJ, slosh of water, slosh of brandy, a sliced up orange and a couple of those "mulled wine" tea bag type things. Lovely. Breakfast? Brioche and coffee.

lucysmam Mon 14-Oct-13 21:04:26

Gingerbread house to munch on sounds fun! I like the frozen pastries idea too.....think I may need a second freezer at this rate confused

mumtoone1 Mon 14-Oct-13 21:01:39

Ham and Cheese Croissants, Pain Au Chocolat and bucks fizz.

For those asking i get the frozen part baked croissants and pain au chocolats from the freezer isle in Sainsburys. 2 for 3 mix and match smile

BaconAndAvocado Mon 14-Oct-13 20:58:19

Another high 5 for smoked salmon and cream cheese on bagels here, served with Buck's Fizz obviously

Would love to find a nice Xmas brekkie idea for kids though smile

VikingVagine Mon 14-Oct-13 20:33:42

Love the idea of gingerbread to munch on!

Dilidali Mon 14-Oct-13 20:32:07

Croissants, orange juice, big pot of coffee
But I love the idea of freezing pancakes smile

This year I found a big bag of frozen french pastries in Lidl. So the plan is to put them in the oven and continue with opening presents. I'm also keeping an eye on frozen croissants.

I don't know about you, but in my house it takes forever to open presents, and I am not allowed to take a break, I have to watch DD, we take turns in opening etc. often it is an hour or so before I actually get to drink a sip of coffee. So this year I am filing a jug of orange juice and put it in the fridge, leave the jam, chocolate etc on the tray in the living room, put coffee in the cafettiere and water in the kettle, all I am going to need is max 1minute... They can wait one minute, can't they?

chirpchirp Mon 14-Oct-13 19:38:40

I did eggs Benedict one year pre DC. We were stuffed for the whole morning and didn't really fancy having the starter of Christmas dinner.

Last year I made cinnamon honey butter and just served it on toast which was delicious but I like the idea of croissants so might have it on them this year.

Last year DS was two and I decided to start a tradition. Every Christmas morning along with his presents he will be presented with a home made gingerbread house that he can demolish and devour whilst ripping open presents.

Not a big fan of mulled wine myself, kir royals for breakfast though yum! In the process of making Christmas pudding vodka. Serve that with ice cream soda, it's amazing and this year I've ordered some gingerbread syrup, the kind you put in coffee, nigella says a squirt of that in a glass of champagne or prosecco is like Christmas in a glass.

I bloody love Christmas.

SunnyRandall Mon 14-Oct-13 19:38:23

Nigella's christmas morning muffins are gorgeous.

StupidFlanders Mon 14-Oct-13 09:24:38

We're like cherryMonster:
Croissants (savoury fillings), pain au chocolat and fruit salad with champagne.

normally we have pain au chocolat, croissaints and scrambled duck eggs on toast. last year we had the pain au chocolat and croissants but i made a huge fruit salad and we had that instead of scramble. it was much better, plenty of energy and not as filling. we have posh coffee, orange juice and bucks fizz with breakfast.

lucysmam Mon 14-Oct-13 08:11:26

Stollen buns sound good too grin

Decisions, decisions!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now