Mulled wine and Christmas morning brekky.....

(67 Posts)
lucysmam Sun 13-Oct-13 19:42:07

I've never tried mulled wine so can some lovely person give me a basic 'how to'?

And.....Can I have some ideas for Christmas day brekky that's a bit special please?

WhoKnowsWhereTheBonnetsGo Sun 13-Oct-13 20:30:07

We don't have lunch between 2 and 3 either. Last year we did toast or cereal for breakfast instead of the croissants (the DCs are creatures of habit and said they didn't want croissants) then had some little nibbles (canape type things) at abut 12 to tide us over. No evening meal, just a few crackers and cheese and a mince pie mid evening.

missmargot Sun 13-Oct-13 21:34:13

We usually have Bucks Fizz and croissants but this year I've developed an obsession with baked French toast. It's referred to as 'breakfast cake' in our house and we only have it when we have guests or on special occasions so it may make its way onto the Christmas breakfast menu this year.

I use this recipe: thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2012/08/baked-french-toast/

Elizabeth22 Sun 13-Oct-13 21:39:47

How about eggy bread (French toast) with maple syrup? You can make it with ordinary bread or you can use sliced loaf of brioche that you can get in Lidl. Basically you beat an egg and dip a slice of bread into it - then fry it in butter. It is delicious but even better with maple syrup.

lucysmam Sun 13-Oct-13 22:01:37

baked eggy bread and eggy bread both sound good too....I will have to do some lunchtime experimenting I think when no-one is around then try out on dp and the kids

lucysmam Sun 13-Oct-13 22:03:08

Dontmind thanks for the mulled wine recipe too, I'll have a go at that in advance for sure grin

fluffypillow Sun 13-Oct-13 22:18:32

I like the Sainsburys mulled wine. I just pour a glass and bung it in the microwave for 30 secs......job done!

Christmas morning breakfast is pancakes in our house too smile

Now the children are older, we have a full English breakfast, and don't have Christmas dinner til about 4.

other things we have had in the past : slices of ham and cheese in croissants before baking - delicious. Can also put mincemeat in croissants

Cranberry muffins

Various salmon dishes. But sounds like that's not what you want.

We have Buck's Fizz and crispy bacon croissants for breakfast.

PixieBumbles Sun 13-Oct-13 22:40:46

We have bucks fizz and eggs benedict for breakfast on Christmas Day. Bloody lovely it is too!

gallicgirl Sun 13-Oct-13 22:46:02

You can do mulled wine in slow cooker!

Lidl or Aldi are fine.

We have Bucks fizz with pain au chocolat. Try a farm shop for the frozen ones. Get them out night before then pop in oven Christmas morning.

My Daddy Cooks has great recipe for blueberry pancakes which is super easy.

WheresMeJumperOhNo Sun 13-Oct-13 23:17:21

We like warm mulled apple juice and a stollen bun for Christmas breakfast (plus lots of strong coffee!) The bun recipe is on BBC Good Food and you can make them up and freeze them ahead of time so they're freshly baked at breakfast.

BlueSkySunnyDay Sun 13-Oct-13 23:23:54

I love the Selsley mulled wine syrup here (usually around Christmas you can get it in Lakeland too)

Just add some to a bottle of red (we use Merlot) - actually you have just reminded me I was going to try making some mulled cider with it.

I don't save it for Christmas grin

BlueSkySunnyDay Sun 13-Oct-13 23:25:40

As for "how to" the proportions are on the bottle - basically syrup, wine - stick in a saucepan and heat!!!

Also great in a thermos mug for bonfire night.

TessTackle Sun 13-Oct-13 23:27:09

Not read all replies but my family have always bought 2 or 3 Italian fruit panettone and had that with butter and Buck's Fizz . It's a tradition I've carried on with my DD so we were both v excited to see sainsburys and Iceland have stocked their panettone already smile

BlueSkySunnyDay Sun 13-Oct-13 23:33:38

I am the world's worst pancake maker! I do try but they're just not good

I'd have said the same a few years ago but thanks to a DS who wants them every weekend I am now a dab hand.

A proper crepe pan helps like this makes a big difference. along with using 1 cal Fry light spray oil.

Sometimes I make batches and freeze them (so a possibility for Christmas day!)

lade Mon 14-Oct-13 01:17:01

Yes. M&S Mulled Wine is fab. I drink a ton of it at Christmas blush. The co-op mulled wine is not bad either.

Christmas morning: We have bucks fizz (Again M&S do a good bottle), croissants and American pancakes with maple syrup. We finish off the champagne over Christmas lunch.

Oh and we have to have port for after Christmas lunch.

Tea is always a cheese board with nice biscuits / breads and this is accompanied with Port.

I'm not painting myself in a good light, am I !?!

lucysmam Mon 14-Oct-13 08:10:27

ooh, more ideas....I'm going to be busy in the kitchen trying everything out grin

Quite like the idea of breakfast muffins & doing the prep the day before.

lucysmam Mon 14-Oct-13 08:11:26

Stollen buns sound good too grin

Decisions, decisions!

normally we have pain au chocolat, croissaints and scrambled duck eggs on toast. last year we had the pain au chocolat and croissants but i made a huge fruit salad and we had that instead of scramble. it was much better, plenty of energy and not as filling. we have posh coffee, orange juice and bucks fizz with breakfast.

StupidFlanders Mon 14-Oct-13 09:24:38

We're like cherryMonster:
Croissants (savoury fillings), pain au chocolat and fruit salad with champagne.

SunnyRandall Mon 14-Oct-13 19:38:23

Nigella's christmas morning muffins are gorgeous.

chirpchirp Mon 14-Oct-13 19:38:40

I did eggs Benedict one year pre DC. We were stuffed for the whole morning and didn't really fancy having the starter of Christmas dinner.

Last year I made cinnamon honey butter and just served it on toast which was delicious but I like the idea of croissants so might have it on them this year.

Last year DS was two and I decided to start a tradition. Every Christmas morning along with his presents he will be presented with a home made gingerbread house that he can demolish and devour whilst ripping open presents.

Not a big fan of mulled wine myself, kir royals for breakfast though yum! In the process of making Christmas pudding vodka. Serve that with ice cream soda, it's amazing and this year I've ordered some gingerbread syrup, the kind you put in coffee, nigella says a squirt of that in a glass of champagne or prosecco is like Christmas in a glass.

I bloody love Christmas.

Dilidali Mon 14-Oct-13 20:32:07

Croissants, orange juice, big pot of coffee
But I love the idea of freezing pancakes smile

This year I found a big bag of frozen french pastries in Lidl. So the plan is to put them in the oven and continue with opening presents. I'm also keeping an eye on frozen croissants.

I don't know about you, but in my house it takes forever to open presents, and I am not allowed to take a break, I have to watch DD, we take turns in opening etc. often it is an hour or so before I actually get to drink a sip of coffee. So this year I am filing a jug of orange juice and put it in the fridge, leave the jam, chocolate etc on the tray in the living room, put coffee in the cafettiere and water in the kettle, all I am going to need is max 1minute... They can wait one minute, can't they?

VikingVagine Mon 14-Oct-13 20:33:42

Love the idea of gingerbread to munch on!

BaconAndAvocado Mon 14-Oct-13 20:58:19

Another high 5 for smoked salmon and cream cheese on bagels here, served with Buck's Fizz obviously

Would love to find a nice Xmas brekkie idea for kids though smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now