How many people will you be spending Christmas Day with?

(70 Posts)
Amandine29 Sun 13-Oct-13 19:41:36

And will you be hosting?

Really just interested to know what other people do.

Thanks Salbertina, it is really crazy in a way but really fun.

Thankfully I'm only hosting the one event this year, although it would be me who gets the sit down meal. This year should be a doddle compared to last year where I did Christmas Day for my family, Boxing Day for DHs equally large family (had to be a party with buffet as there are too maybe of them) and a big New Year's Eve party.

Moose, I've ordered 2 9kg turkeys which apparently serve 18 each, 2 mushroom Wellingtons and a goose. In my head people will be sent home with leftovers, in reality it will probably look like a swarm of locusts has hit.

Homeiswherethefartis Sun 13-Oct-13 22:35:54

just me and the 2dc again this Year. It's looking increasingly likely Dh will be away again this Xmas serving queen and Country the 3rd xmas in a rowsad sad

lade Mon 14-Oct-13 01:21:27

We do the same every year:

Wake up at home, and go over to my parents mid morning. We stay there for the rest of the day and come home on boxing day.

My brother also goes over, so there's 7 of us there: Me, DH, DD1, DD2, DM, DF and DB.

My grandparents used to come over during the day, but they find it too much now, so we normally see them a few days later.

EBearhug Mon 14-Oct-13 01:24:10

Just me on my own.

DaleyBump Mon 14-Oct-13 01:32:43

DP, mum, dad, sister, gran, grandad, aunt, aunt's partner, newborn DS. My mum hosts every year and we always have a fantastic time smile

BearsBeetsBattlestarGalactica Mon 14-Oct-13 06:48:46

Me, DD1, DD2 and the bf until around lunchtime when the ex picks up the girls.

Then off to the bf's parents' house where I am guessing there will be around 7 adults and 3 children.

I'm quite looking forward to it smile

lilmamma Mon 14-Oct-13 07:15:52

about 400 sad iam in work and we are doing Christmas dinner for the customers. but I have boxing day off and am going to my parents, they do a fab buffet and there will be about 12 of us smile

Yama Mon 14-Oct-13 07:26:24

We are hosting. It will be the 4 of us plus 7 extra adults.

Can't wait.

glastocat Mon 14-Oct-13 07:40:02

It's my first Xmas in Oz, so we are going to the beach with all new pommy pals, five other families and kids so over 20 of us. I can't wait! smile

Wineandchoccy Mon 14-Oct-13 07:41:55

We will see DH grandad in the morning, then go to my Mum and Dads for lunch with grandma + Grandad, brother, sister in law, 2 nephews + DH and I = 10

DH family have a buffet Xmas party on the 27th December with games!! There will be 14 ranging from 18 months to 90 years.

tootssweet Mon 14-Oct-13 08:00:41

Just the 4 of us + dog. After spending most Christmases driving up & down the M6 - we agreed that the kids opening & playing with their presents is what's important & not sitting & squabbling in the car (& having to stay sober!)
It's v chilled - we pore over the cookery books in early December & decide what we would like to try this year (not big turkey fans)

HoobleDooble Mon 14-Oct-13 08:05:08

Just DH, DS and myself as I like it. The last 5 have been washouts (hospitalisation, illness, miscarriage and redundancy) so am determined to have a good one this year!

HardFacedCareeristBitchNigel Wed 16-Oct-13 01:17:33

I will have about 20 at various meals. Dh is working earlies and is bringing his section of 10 officers round for breakfast then various people will drift in and out allday until xmas dinner about 5pm when we will be 12 -15

WallyBantersJunkBox Wed 16-Oct-13 01:20:19

Whilst seasonally I am very much the social butterfly - the actual day of the 25th is a lockdown, just me, DH and DS, doing what we want when we want.

curiousgeorgie Wed 16-Oct-13 10:50:29

Me, DH, DD1 (3), DD2 (will be 6 months) and our spaniel all go to my parents house...

Mum, Stepdad, their dogs, DB1 plus wife and nephews (7 & 3), DB2 plus GF and niece (8), DB3 plus girlfriend. 2 sets of grandparents, uncle, aunt, cousin 1 plus husband and 3 nieces (8, 6 & 1) cousin 2 plus boyfriend. My best friend and her boyfriend, DH's best friend and his dog. Mums best friend and her husband.

Then in the evening, about 6 more friends, DH's parents, brother, his wife and their son, (1).

It's amazing and busy and I love it. My mum still manages to make a lovely long Christmas table across her dining room and conservatory by hiring trestle tables and fits everyone round it, then in the evening we have buffet style and lots of games. (When my parents had their extension they did it with Christmas dining in mind wink)

Pretty much all the same people for Boxing Day too!

Ragwort Wed 16-Oct-13 12:31:05

When I have spent Christmas at MIL or my sisters its been really adult focused - I can't wait to return to adult focused Christmases grin.

In fact our Christmas this year will be fairly adult as we will be abroad, three adults plus our teenage son grin - bitter memories of the year we gave him Mousetrap which took ages to set up and was never played with again !!

Grotbagstwin Wed 16-Oct-13 12:39:15

Last year was full on, at my house I had fil at 8am, mil and her h 10am both for cooked breakfasts, then 12 for a three course lunch then in the evening sil and her 5 for a buffet tea.
This year I am not lifting a finger, I have refused, putting both families into panic. I said I will do thre pudding the day before for christmas day and thats it, I want to relax this year for the first time in my grown up life grin

NCISaddict Wed 16-Oct-13 12:45:07

13 plus 3 dogs for lunch. I'm hosting. It's all my husbands family and one of our friends who will be staying Christmas eve and night. The others just turn up for lunch.

Hulababy Wed 16-Oct-13 18:32:37

Just the three of us: me, dh and 11y dd.
We always chose to have Christmas day at home, the three of us. Did when it was just me and dh too. Didn't ant to go down the route of having to decide who's house it was, driving on Christmas Day, etc. Though we may call at a friend's house mid day for nibbles if we go out and about for an early walk - did so last year which was nice.

Boxing Day is our family day when my parents and inlaws, and any siblings who are over come and visit. I will cook.

insanityscratching Wed 16-Oct-13 21:13:16

Me (it's my birthday),dh and our 5dc until we've eaten and then some might go to bf/gf's or bf/gf's might come here. No firm plans either way but whoever is here will be welcome.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now