What do you class as "stocking gifts"

(63 Posts)
BankerMommy2010 Sun 13-Oct-13 10:05:36

To me, stocking gifts are sweets & chocolate and maybe a little car or figure...

Snog Sun 13-Oct-13 10:08:12

anything you can get down one leg of a pair of tights! so books, dvds, cds, jewellery, cosmetics, toiletries, pants socks gloves scarfs booze etc etc

bebopanddoowop Sun 13-Oct-13 10:10:44

Satsumas, chocolate coins, nuts, small market stall size toys like yo-yos or prank toys, bath bombs, small little novelties like patterned tissues, and costume jewellery

tanfastic Sun 13-Oct-13 10:11:03

I've already bought a few stocking fillers for my ds who is 5. I've bought.

Some novelty pencils
Racing snails
Character flannels

But yes I agree its just small inexpensive presents that fit in a stocking smile

Branleuse Sun 13-Oct-13 10:12:42

sweets, mini things

ShoeWhore Sun 13-Oct-13 10:14:15

Last year we had things like... Satsuma,chocolate, DVD, Christmas decoration, joke book, spy glasses, Moshi Monsters, Top Trumps.

missmargot Sun 13-Oct-13 10:18:02

My definition has changed as DSS has got older. When he was small it was inexpensive, small gifts plus chocolate coins etc. Now he's older it tends to be more novelty presents and also practical things like aftershave, socks etc.

That said, years ago DH bought him a ridiculously big stocking so all of his presents have gone in there- 'proper' gifts at the bottom with stocking fillers at the top. Thankfully it split last year so I can buy a sensible sized one and separate out his gifts.

upanddown83 Sun 13-Oct-13 10:18:08

For me sticking fillers are small cheap toys, chocolate coins and usually some pants and socks
My lovely friend and I were in smyths yesterday and she was looking at a scooter as a stocking filler for her son! shock
I laughed and asked her what size was her sons stocking? She realised what I meant but still insists that any present that costs less than £50 is a stocking filler!
We obviously have different budgets for Christmas.

perfume, make up, cds, jewellery, sweets, chocolates, dvds are usually what we put in dds stockings

SPBisResisting Sun 13-Oct-13 10:19:29

Anythign that will fit in and isn't too expensive.
My DC usually get an orange and some nuts. Chocolate coins. Novelty bath bubbles. Moshi monster type runbbish. Maybe a little car. DD gets hair clips. Chrismas socks.

Whereisegg Sun 13-Oct-13 10:25:23

Yes mine have changed with age.
Used to be tat from poundland with some sweets and slipper socks.

Now they are older, they have got a bit more expensive.
Last year dss got pack of astronaut ice cream, some graffiti spray (liquid chalk really so washes off), a bargain bucket DVD from play, plus sweets.

These are all things I pick up throughout the year in sales so doesn't cost too much more than the tat but is a lot more appreciated.

notapizzaeater Sun 13-Oct-13 10:27:03

Orange, choc coins and a little toy, normally car or train or small set of pretend Lego ....

mamaduckbone Sun 13-Oct-13 10:36:43

I agree...cheap things that will fit in. Chocolate and a satsuma, whooppee cushions, top trumps, racing snails, stationery, trash packs, lego minifigures etc. Made a BIG mistake one year of putting a harmonica in ds1's stocking...not a good sound at 5.30 am, so Quiet is also a stocking criteria in my book.

Ds is 4 and his stocking is usually a mixture of sweets/ chocolate, small toys (mini lego or playmobil sets usually, not really keen on party bag type stuff as it just gets thrown away) and practical stuff such as bubble bath, socks etc

500internalerror Sun 13-Oct-13 10:50:38

Whatever I can get on offer during the year. They get 3 things each from us and one from each other. Then the sack is along the lines of...selection box, £3 DVD, cuddly, lego from the Sun, couple of novelty things, books, something crafty, & a boxed game.

AmberDextrous Sun 13-Oct-13 10:53:18

Anything that fits in grin

Lilicat1013 Sun 13-Oct-13 11:37:32

Anything that fits in that isn't too expensive. My son doesn't like sweets or chocolate so he has some packs of raisins in his.

I like to get things that enhance his proper presents and will actually be played with. So for example he has some Playmobil as a main present and in his stocking a Playmobil mini set with a figure and a lamb.

He is also having a wooden garage so he is having some Hot Wheels type cars in his stocking to go with it.

Things that I always put in stockings are bubbles, socks, a character toothbrush (if it isn't in his Christmas Eve bag) and crayons/colouring pencils.

reelingintheyears Sun 13-Oct-13 11:42:10

Every stocking has to have a little orange in the toe.
Novelty socks and pants and lots of other small tat like pencils and a tube of fruit pastels.
Keeps them quiet while you stay in bed half an hour longer.

SuperiorCat Sun 13-Oct-13 11:50:10

Small, cheap, quiet, and will keep them occupied from when they wake up - 4am usually - until a more reasonable hour when they can open the rest of their presents

Marne Sun 13-Oct-13 12:27:53

I don't spend more than £3.50 on a stocking filler, I have bought the dd's lots of toys from sensory warehouse ( squidgy toys, flashing toys, stress banana and fart putty ), they will get some chocolate couns a tooth brush, lego mini figures, moshi monster blind bags (bought half price from morrisons) and some sweets.

cupcake78 Sun 13-Oct-13 12:29:12

Small things under £10 max. Sweets, small toys, chocolate coins.

Ds is 4.4 and has:

Chocolate coins
Dinosaur dig kit
Pack Moshi monsters
Slime (probably be his favourite gift of all, sad but true)
Moshi bubble bath
Sprudel
Jelly beans
Glow straws - like the glow sticks but the neon bit goes up and down as you drink.
Small pack Lego
Flashing starfish ball

Think that's should do it! Most cost under £2, some under £1. I think the most expensive was the Lego at £4.

ajandjjmum Sun 13-Oct-13 12:34:05

It gets a lot more expensive when the recipients of the stocking are older. My suggestion that we dropped the idea now the DC are adults was not received well! grin

BeaverAbroad Sun 13-Oct-13 12:34:11

Everything I can fit in with a total for the whole stocking of £4. So of it's over £1 or so, it's not a stocking filler.

Coupon Sun 13-Oct-13 12:34:54

Little novelties, from about 50p to £5 tops. And a satsuma in the toe!

I think some of the shops label some expensive things as "stocking fillers" because they'll sell more if you feel you have to make a stocking for all the adults as well with £20 presents in them!! It's a marketing ploy and I don't know who'd fall for that one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now