Sloe gin - the definitive guide!

(9 Posts)
PoppadomPreach Wed 16-Oct-13 06:34:04

My top tip is slow vodka, not sloe gin.

Cooroo Wed 16-Oct-13 06:30:01

I stab the sloes with a bamboo skewer (first pointy thing to hand) to let the juices flow. Most of them were a bit squishy though (firm enough when picked but went squishy in the freezer).

I have some blackberry vodka steeping away too, and just bought some nice glass bottles from Amazon so if I can bear to I'll use some for presents.

We put all the sloes on a tray and roll a cheese grater over to make little holes in the skin first.

Then equal amount of sugar to fruit in a bottle, pour cheap gin over and leave, giving a shake every day or so

ShoeJunkie Sun 13-Oct-13 21:17:47

Thanks Wispa!

SeriousWispaHabit Sun 13-Oct-13 16:34:31

1L gin needs 500g sloes and 250g sugar.
Put it all in a sterilised jar/bottle and shake around a bit. Pour sugar into gin, not gin onto sugar and it will dissolve better.

Shake around any days that you remember, ideally every other day for the first 2-3 weeks, then weekly. Strain after 8-12 weeks. Keep some for next year if you can as it will taste even better.

Rosencrantz Sun 13-Oct-13 16:12:09

Ooh watching with interest! I've only ever bought Gordon's, but am very keen to try making it!

ShoeJunkie Sun 13-Oct-13 16:11:24

Mmm indeed but only if I get it made in time grin

Mojavewonderer Sun 13-Oct-13 09:43:22

Mmm sloe gin....

ShoeJunkie Sun 13-Oct-13 09:11:13

Ok, so I've picked some sloes and they're in the freezer. What do I do next?!
I've googled and googled but there are so many variations on a theme. Does anyone have a tried and tested recipe they use?
Quite excited at the thought of a little tipple over Christmas!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now