Impossible to buy for MIL.....

(29 Posts)
MmmmWhiteWine Sun 13-Oct-13 00:30:58

My MIL is impossible to buy for. She has no hobbies and has arthritis so is pretty limited in terms of what she can do so no national trust memberships etc as she can't walk round places. She's not keen on vouchers or clothes and I'm at my wit's end. Am thinking of doing a hamper of lots of wee things as opposed to something big as I just can't think of anything she'll appreciate. So far have thought of including a book, a nice candle, some hand cream, an aromatherapy hand warmer for her sore hands, some nice chocs....and then I'm a bit stuck. Any other ideas?? Or is the whole idea a bit of a cop out?? And if so does anyone have any ideas for what to buy someone who doesn't like anything??

MmmmWhiteWine Tue 15-Oct-13 18:21:59

Thanks all, a kindle would be good but way out of our price range, I'm afraid. The budget for adults in our family is only £25-£30. I'll pick a nice selection of things and hope for the best. Although whatever we get her she never looks that impressed so its not worth stressing over!

SpockSmashesScissors Tue 15-Oct-13 19:15:04

Sounds like my MIL, right down to never being pleased with whatever she gets, over the years we have got her

Microwavable wheat bag to help with arthritis.
Nice blanket for naps/watching TV on sofa
Nice handcream and handwash set
Audio CDs
Calendar
Wordsearch books/dictionary
Fancy tea bags and mini jars jam/marmalade (she likes these)
Digital photo frame (went down like a lead balloon as FIL says it is a waste of electricity, they never used it, ever)
Slippers/Slipper socks
Hyacinth bulb sets
Handbag
Nice pen and notebook
New placemats for table/tray for her tea/mugs

MmmmWhiteWine Tue 15-Oct-13 19:30:14

Thanks, Spock, you've just reminded me to include a puzzle/crossword book...she does like those!

If yo really think she would like a Kindle, consider a Nook- it's the Barnes and Noble version, and the basic ones start at £29. Get good reviews. Or the Kobo is the WH Smith version.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now