If You Had To Do A Stocking For An Adult, What Would You Include?

(39 Posts)

I have somehow been roped into this by my sisters. Each Adult is getting a stocking, as an additional gift.

So each adult will be responsible for another adults stocking. A bit like secret santa. I don't know who I'm going to get yet, but I was hoping to get ideas now so that I don't have to spend ages when I finally find out who it is.

WallyBantersYoniBox Sat 12-Oct-13 23:05:12

This went down a storm last year -

www.amazon.co.uk/Worldwide-Co-W6131-Sound-Machine/dp/B003AVPO66

I also got my DH:

Pot of gentlemans relish
Special edition marmite
Retro sweets
A harmonica
Travel battleships
Swiss army knife
Choc coins
Choc Santa
Speciality beer

I'm doing a stocking for DH this year, so some of these may be a bit pricy but you can tailor them to more economical versions:

Pack of three Armani socks
Terry's chocolate orange
Guylian pralines
Calvin Klein boxer shorts.
Arsenal toothbrush.
Arsenal travelcard holder.
Small book on digital photography.
itunes gift card.

I think for the men it will depend on who I get.

My younger sister, mum and nan would be just as pleased with the same type of stocking plus a more personal gift.

Whereas the men are a bit different, a few of my BILs would love techy/gadgety type bits with some nice smellies or sports themed items whereas my grandad and dad would be well unimpressed.

WIll have to wait and see, although great ideas on this thread for when I do find out. Keep them coming.

raisah Tue 08-Oct-13 21:01:16

Lots of cosy socks & stocking fillers in Primark for npt much money. Why not do a retro theme for eg a comic, terrys choc orange, cd & newspaper from year of birth with a few practical gifts like a keyring torch (handy for opening door in dark).

LovelyWeatherForDucks Tue 08-Oct-13 20:35:31

Ooh I love doing a stocking for DH - I agree men are a challenge (I could make myself a fabulous stocking!!) - things that have gone down well are small lego or mecano sets, a magazine, Starbucks instant coffee sachets to take to work, thermal socks, practical things like a new toothbrush, miniature deodorant, mini photobook, other silly retro toys like a fortune telling fish, DIY 'promise vouchers' e.g. An evening out/babysitting, something 'made' by baby DS, a decent pen, bottle of old fashioned ginger beer or similar, posh tomato ketchup,...hope that gives you some more inspiration!

Rosencrantz Tue 08-Oct-13 01:39:17

When I was at uni, in a house of five girls, we all bought 4 small presents of the same thing, so each girl got a stocking with 4 different gifts from each of her housemates.

I received:

Some nail polishes,
Jewellery,
Gin,
A lovely hairbrush

What did I give them? A bullet vibrator.

I always do a stocking for DH and this year will be doing them for MIL and FIL too. Good items for men include travel sized toiletries, USB sticks, small torch/key ring, handkerchiefs, socks, neutral hand cream - L'Occitane Shea Butter or Neutrogena etc., men's face wash etc (Clarins do good men's stuff as do Clinique). A couple of gel pens, post it notes, thermal gloves, cloth for polishing lenses, Itunes gift card, magazine subs are great - there are often good offers on at Christmas. DH likes Runners World. Cufflinks.

BeaLola Mon 07-Oct-13 21:38:00

Thinking about the men as I find them hard what about a tie, cufflinks, shaving cream, leather belt, monogrammed hankies, keyring, good pub or beer guide.

An orange for the toe is an orange which fits in the toe of the stocking. Fills it out perfectly.

Again, some really good ideas. Thanks Bea for reminding me about those Aromatherapy Associates minis. I used them as table gifts last year.

TBH as its only the one (well 2 as I will have to do whoever DH gets as well) I'm doing I don't mind spending a bit of money. We agreed to try and do presents that people actually want.

Thermals and Washbag are a great idea for men, although am secretly hoping to get women as will be much easier.

chanie44 Mon 07-Oct-13 17:56:22

I normally do stockings for OH and DSis instead of a main prezzie.

Generic ideas for adults:
Chocolate coins/chocolate orange
Keyring
hand cream/smellies
Socks
Winter hat/scarf
Thermals
Travel mug/flask
Ear phones
Lottery ticket
Chocolate selection box
Miniature spirits or bottle of beer
Wash bag/make up bag
Favourite biscuits
Flannel
Book/puzzle book

Carriemac Mon 07-Oct-13 17:44:48

I buy a set of pencils with their name on them in gold from letterbox
They're lovely

Inkspellme Mon 07-Oct-13 17:40:11

those sachets of face masks or hair treatment masques. I picked up a fudge face mask for my teen daughters stocking. also picked up a pair of sponge bob square pants knickers for it. very mature, I know!

what is an orange for the toe?

BeaLola Mon 07-Oct-13 17:03:05

Depending on how much you want to spend but I would think along the lines of:

Handcream
Bath oil -one of those little Aromatherapy Associates christmas ones
Sleep balm or similar from This Works
Nice lip balm
Gloves
Scarf
Christmas tissues
Little perfume or aftershave
Green & black chocolate
Chocolate orange -the one with the popping candy in it
Magazine
Christmassy candle
CD
DVD
One of those Chocolate dunking sticks for a hot chocolate with a small jar of hot chocolate
Flying Saucer sweets

TheYamiOfYawn Mon 07-Oct-13 15:52:07

My sister gets a stocking from me every year. Nowadays, the stocking is a luxury sock of some sort. Inside are lots if beauty miniatures, a small amount if chocolate as she doesn't really eat sweets, some vitamins and resolve, a pen and notebook and maybe a small book, scarf or piece of jewelry.

janeyjampot Mon 07-Oct-13 15:17:30

If you're doing stockings for a few people, you could include a clockwork toy and race them. We did this once and it was surprisingly successful.

Lottery scratch tickets. smile

Any bonus time makeup samples or cheaper drug store makeup. Nail polish.

Trial sizes of body shop stuff or man wash.

Gift card for iTunes or Google play.

Sweeties.

If someone likes to cook, something like a hot sauce or bbq rub.

thegreylady Mon 07-Oct-13 14:24:40

I do 10 adult sockings a year and 8 children's ones.
something to eat
something to read
something to wear
something to play with and any odds and sods you see in the pound shop grin

Slippersocklover Mon 07-Oct-13 14:21:59

One of the magazines (I think Elle) has the small size loccitane hand creams as a free gift this month, so £8 worth for the cost of the magazine which I think is £3.90.

Tkmaxx had sets of Essie, OPI and Deborah Lipmann nail polishes in festive colours too.

bootsycollins Mon 07-Oct-13 14:00:45

The pound shop also do a range of pan pipe CDs which have always been well received grin
Puzzle/crossword/sudoku book

bootsycollins Mon 07-Oct-13 13:59:20

Get thee to the pound shop for some comedy wrap ups!

Tin of sprouts
Fridge magnets of favourite band/film star/tv character
Pens and stickers
Gourmet jelly beans
Scented candle/tealights
Mini photo frame with a nice pic inside
Cinema/restaraunt/hairdressers/massage/manicure/pedicure voucher
Mini toiletries
Hairbrush
Colouring book and felt tips
Annual (either current or a childhood fave off eBay)
Craft kit
Scented Reed diffuser (TK Maxx do good ones)
Bath bomb from Lush
DVD of fave childhood film

And I think a mix CD is a lovely idea. I will employ a DS try to do this.

Lots of great suggestions here. The stocking is a decent size as far as I know.

So far I'm thinking of:
Bag of Chocolate coins
Shower Gel/Bubble Bath
Snuggly Christmas Socks
Chocolate Orange/Actual Orange (depends on persons tastes, some oddballs in my family don't like chocolate orange)
Bottle of Drink (Mini Champagne or Spirits for drinkers or a bottle of posh cordial for non-drinkers)
Fancy Food Item
A Book
A DVD
Personal Gift (relevant to their interests)

Then extra bits dependent on if its a man or a woman

Woman (Easy as all the women in my family are beauty junkies):
L'occitane Hand Cream
Kirby Grips & Hair Bands
Perfume Rollerball
Eyelash Curlers or Make Up Brushes
Essie Nail Varnish

Man:
Kiehls Stuff
Touch Screen Gloves
Phone Cover

Its the men I'm struggling with!

NoComet Mon 07-Oct-13 13:34:24

Umbrellas are good, handbag sized folding shoppers.
Paper chase note books and flower/owl etc pens.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now