If You Had To Do A Stocking For An Adult, What Would You Include?

(39 Posts)

I have somehow been roped into this by my sisters. Each Adult is getting a stocking, as an additional gift.

So each adult will be responsible for another adults stocking. A bit like secret santa. I don't know who I'm going to get yet, but I was hoping to get ideas now so that I don't have to spend ages when I finally find out who it is.

what is an orange for the toe?

Inkspellme Mon 07-Oct-13 17:40:11

those sachets of face masks or hair treatment masques. I picked up a fudge face mask for my teen daughters stocking. also picked up a pair of sponge bob square pants knickers for it. very mature, I know!

Carriemac Mon 07-Oct-13 17:44:48

I buy a set of pencils with their name on them in gold from letterbox
They're lovely

chanie44 Mon 07-Oct-13 17:56:22

I normally do stockings for OH and DSis instead of a main prezzie.

Generic ideas for adults:
Chocolate coins/chocolate orange
Keyring
hand cream/smellies
Socks
Winter hat/scarf
Thermals
Travel mug/flask
Ear phones
Lottery ticket
Chocolate selection box
Miniature spirits or bottle of beer
Wash bag/make up bag
Favourite biscuits
Flannel
Book/puzzle book

Again, some really good ideas. Thanks Bea for reminding me about those Aromatherapy Associates minis. I used them as table gifts last year.

TBH as its only the one (well 2 as I will have to do whoever DH gets as well) I'm doing I don't mind spending a bit of money. We agreed to try and do presents that people actually want.

Thermals and Washbag are a great idea for men, although am secretly hoping to get women as will be much easier.

An orange for the toe is an orange which fits in the toe of the stocking. Fills it out perfectly.

BeaLola Mon 07-Oct-13 21:38:00

Thinking about the men as I find them hard what about a tie, cufflinks, shaving cream, leather belt, monogrammed hankies, keyring, good pub or beer guide.

I always do a stocking for DH and this year will be doing them for MIL and FIL too. Good items for men include travel sized toiletries, USB sticks, small torch/key ring, handkerchiefs, socks, neutral hand cream - L'Occitane Shea Butter or Neutrogena etc., men's face wash etc (Clarins do good men's stuff as do Clinique). A couple of gel pens, post it notes, thermal gloves, cloth for polishing lenses, Itunes gift card, magazine subs are great - there are often good offers on at Christmas. DH likes Runners World. Cufflinks.

Rosencrantz Tue 08-Oct-13 01:39:17

When I was at uni, in a house of five girls, we all bought 4 small presents of the same thing, so each girl got a stocking with 4 different gifts from each of her housemates.

I received:

Some nail polishes,
Jewellery,
Gin,
A lovely hairbrush

What did I give them? A bullet vibrator.

LovelyWeatherForDucks Tue 08-Oct-13 20:35:31

Ooh I love doing a stocking for DH - I agree men are a challenge (I could make myself a fabulous stocking!!) - things that have gone down well are small lego or mecano sets, a magazine, Starbucks instant coffee sachets to take to work, thermal socks, practical things like a new toothbrush, miniature deodorant, mini photobook, other silly retro toys like a fortune telling fish, DIY 'promise vouchers' e.g. An evening out/babysitting, something 'made' by baby DS, a decent pen, bottle of old fashioned ginger beer or similar, posh tomato ketchup,...hope that gives you some more inspiration!

raisah Tue 08-Oct-13 21:01:16

Lots of cosy socks & stocking fillers in Primark for npt much money. Why not do a retro theme for eg a comic, terrys choc orange, cd & newspaper from year of birth with a few practical gifts like a keyring torch (handy for opening door in dark).

I think for the men it will depend on who I get.

My younger sister, mum and nan would be just as pleased with the same type of stocking plus a more personal gift.

Whereas the men are a bit different, a few of my BILs would love techy/gadgety type bits with some nice smellies or sports themed items whereas my grandad and dad would be well unimpressed.

WIll have to wait and see, although great ideas on this thread for when I do find out. Keep them coming.

I'm doing a stocking for DH this year, so some of these may be a bit pricy but you can tailor them to more economical versions:

Pack of three Armani socks
Terry's chocolate orange
Guylian pralines
Calvin Klein boxer shorts.
Arsenal toothbrush.
Arsenal travelcard holder.
Small book on digital photography.
itunes gift card.

WallyBantersYoniBox Sat 12-Oct-13 23:05:12

This went down a storm last year -

www.amazon.co.uk/Worldwide-Co-W6131-Sound-Machine/dp/B003AVPO66

I also got my DH:

Pot of gentlemans relish
Special edition marmite
Retro sweets
A harmonica
Travel battleships
Swiss army knife
Choc coins
Choc Santa
Speciality beer

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now