Can you tell me what your 3yo boys are getting, please?

(68 Posts)
ziggiestardust Sun 06-Oct-13 16:51:53

So far, I have got:
playmobil police station
playmobil police helicopter
playmobil police car
playmobil bank
(He's fascinated with goodies and baddies at the minute, and keeps trying to arrest the cat)
take n play Tidmouth sheds set
4 of these take n play engines to add to his vast collection
As well as a couple of Thomas DVDs and some Thomas pj's, plus stocking with sweets and little gizzits.

And right now; that's about it!
It doesn't look like an awful lot though. I keep telling myself that if I don't limit myself though, we'll end up having nowhere to put it all.

Would your 3 yo be happy with that lot?

fuzzpig Tue 08-Oct-13 17:29:58

I agree about the train track humble - DS doesn't spend much time actually driving the trains round but will spend hours building epic convoluted tracks round the whole living room that get a bit frustrating when I then can't open the door smile

I am also considering a playmobil pirate ship, whatever the cheapest one is anyway.

humblebumble Tue 08-Oct-13 17:18:25

My DS2 (almost 4) who is completely car mad suddenly a couple of months ago really got into trains. I would say keep hold of your trains for a while longer as the enjoyment of making the different tracks is as much fun as actually playing with the trains.

For a well made take and go car set we have this one (although we paid about $30 for it in the US).

DigginCars

racmun Tue 08-Oct-13 17:08:42

We've got ds

A scaletrix (dh assures me he'll love it!)
A ride on train for the garden
A new bike with stabilisers
Hungry Hippos game
Thomas trains got the Brio set
Thomas books

Stocking - so far
A toy rattle snake
Glow sticks
A torch

Considering the play mobile pirate ship as well but not sure I can face putting 150 odd bits together!

fuzzpig Tue 08-Oct-13 17:01:45

Just wanted to recommend this road jigsaw - my DS got it last Xmas age 3.4, it's brilliant. There's loads of layouts and half the fun is putting it together before driving your cars over it. Good quality cardboard (as orchard toys always is) smile

ziggiestardust Tue 08-Oct-13 16:22:29

<sniggering at castle of doom> what a truly excellent name for a child's toy!

HenriettaPye Tue 08-Oct-13 16:21:38

I've bought DS the castle of doom from ELC, it's now discontinued but I got it for £25 on gumtree, and it came with dragons, a three headed snake and knights. It's as good as new. He loves good guys and bad guys but in a knights vs dragons way, rather than cops and robbers!

He also wants blublu the dolphin which I think is going to be a total waste of money but it's the one thing he is adamant that he wants hmm

ziggiestardust Tue 08-Oct-13 16:21:37

petty you're so welcome! I'd order well in advance though, they can get really busy at Christmas. We ordered in November last year for last Christmas, just to be extra sure, and put it all together to make sure the pieces were all there. Purely because they're an online company, it's not like you can take it back to a store.

It is the cutest little thing though, and I loved it wasn't all boy colours, or covered in flashing lights. I think there's a discount code on the MN partners page, like 10% or something.

Thanks for the link to the wooden garage - that's the first one I have truly loved the look of. The ELC one looked quite good but I like the rounded ramps on this. I don't mind splashing out on my pfb a bit because its all going to stop once dc2 arrives in feb as I really think he will play with this for YEARS on a daily basis.

ziggiestardust Tue 08-Oct-13 16:06:33

Oh my goodness yes! It's hard to find stuff without flashing lights confused

DS (fortunately for him, perhaps not so much us, or our ears!) has extremely generous and loving godparents, who dote on him to the point where he owns every single item produced by the VTech company. I'm not kidding. There's so much of it! Safe to say, we have had enough of noisy toys. I find them quite short lived as well; he'll play with it and then leave it in favour of cars, trains, playmobil people, books or playdoh.

fuzzpig Tue 08-Oct-13 15:26:14

Haha socky yes it's quite a challenge to not buy and buy blush I just love choosing toys! Including the worthy wooden sort! We have a no electronics/battery operated rule this year which automatically rules out a lot.

SockywockyWOOOOOdah Tue 08-Oct-13 14:45:37

Fuzzpig I LOVE those stacking robots. You're not helping with my minimalist Christmas...

fuzzpig Tue 08-Oct-13 14:30:02

TBH they would've gone to see it even if we hadn't sent the DCs with them grin they love animated movies! I'm taking them with me to the Cloudy 2 MN screening this weekend, they are really excited bless them.

ziggiestardust Tue 08-Oct-13 14:21:20

Oooooh, your lucky DSD's... wink

fuzzpig Tue 08-Oct-13 14:03:23

I didn't see it myself - my teen DSDs took them to see it instead while DH and I had a rare meal out grin DSDs said it was really good though. I thought the adverts made it look really dull but apparently I'm wrong and it's just as good as Cars/Cars 2.

ziggiestardust Tue 08-Oct-13 14:00:47

Thank you fuzzpig, I like the wiggly scissors and I think DS will too. He hasn't seen the planes movie yet (any good, btw?) but I will probably take him to see it in the next couple of weeks.

I personally like the robots, but DS has a delightful tendency to shun all tasteful toys. What can I say? The boy loves tack and jazz...

fuzzpig Tue 08-Oct-13 13:49:51

The interchangeable scissors aren't that amazing BTW but hopefully at £4 they will fulfill the scissor wish regardless!

As for robots - I really like these but I guess he might mean something with buttons that moves or talks so no idea about that one!

fuzzpig Tue 08-Oct-13 13:45:37

I bet he'll love the helicopter! I know playmobil have done planes in the past but very expensive.

has he seen the new Disney Planes movie? My DCs love it, I might get DS a couple of the character models.

ziggiestardust Tue 08-Oct-13 13:42:55

<sighs with happiness> why thankyou! Is there nothing Amazon can't do?

fuzzpig Tue 08-Oct-13 13:42:54
fuzzpig Tue 08-Oct-13 13:41:25
ziggiestardust Tue 08-Oct-13 12:55:00

fuzz I have got him the playmobil helicopter, so I'm hoping that counts as an aeroplane? Well, it flies. That's a start. The robot I haven't really thought about, but I was going to look for some scissors that you cut patterns with; I used to have a set when I was a little girl. Like one set did zig zags, another one did waves etc. Not sure where to start looking though, as my mum got mine from C&A or Woolworths or something back in the 80's...

fuzzpig Tue 08-Oct-13 10:04:52

BTW we managed the playmobil castle in a couple of hours on Xmas eve (while drinking baileys) despite my colleagues calling me mad for leaving it so late! It was fun though.

Really looking forward to building the pyramid this year.

fuzzpig Tue 08-Oct-13 10:02:41

DS has asked for an aeroplane, a robot and some scissors, so I've not got an awful lot to work on...

Are you going to get these things BTW?

ELC do a little set of toddler friendly scissors that have interchangeable blades so you can cut zigzags. Maybe you could get a bunch of paper to cut with it?

vix206 Tue 08-Oct-13 07:59:08

The road map rug idea is a really good one. My DS has one and he plays with it constantly!

losersaywhat Tue 08-Oct-13 07:30:23

[Blush] wrong thread smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now