Useful present for a 14 year old boy

(15 Posts)
TheAwfulDaughter Sat 05-Oct-13 17:37:06

This isn't Christmas, but this has been great for gift advice so I thought I'd try.

A younger male realitive in my family isn't being properly supported by his dad. He pays a sum way lower than the CSA would have him and if his father is going on holiday that month or wants to buy a new car or is in those tight months after Christmas, his mother who has been broken up from the guy for 10 years doesn't see any money.

She is in a really difficult situation at the moment with her hours being cut, and I thought for his 14th birthday I could find something cool- but maybe something of use that would prevent her from reaching into her pockets.

I don't have kids, and have no idea what they need. I don't usually buy for him either (I'm just out of kidhood myself so my parent sign my names at the bottoms of cards!) but I'm so gutted for them both as things will be right this winter. If you could suggest me something nice to get them for Christmas that would be good too.

I was thinking a cool scarf, or maybe a £20 voucher for somewhere like Topman (not hollister!) to knock some of the price off when he needs some new jumpers or socks or something.

TheAwfulDaughter Sat 05-Oct-13 17:39:00

*tight this winter!

And for the Christmas suggestion, I was thinking something joint like a cinema voucher or I could do a hamper?

WaitMonkey Sat 05-Oct-13 18:10:32

No idea about teenage boys, sorry. But you sound lovely. smile

insancerre Sat 05-Oct-13 18:13:43

Ds always liked those Lynx sets at that age, made him feel proper grown up grin

TheAwfulDaughter Sat 05-Oct-13 18:14:31

I hope so, I didn't want anyone to think I was seeing them as charity cases sad just a bit flush from summer OT at the moment and want to include them in my gift buying.

The mum always buys me something little every Christmas bless her. I think I'm old enough to start returning the favour.

How thoughtful of you. Cinema voucher sounds perfect, gives him a trip out without having to find the money. Maybe add a big bag of popcorn? A10 pin bowling voucher might be an idea for same reason. Re clothes, boys of that age are hard to please ime. But would have thought top man would be quite safe.alternatively the post office does gift cards which cover a number of high street stores, including top man, might be safer as it gives him more choice?

wakeupandsmellthecoffee Sun 06-Oct-13 12:01:39

An amazon voucher would be good for any computer games he wants .Personally I would avoid vouchers after the last HMM fiasco.
Can you put money in his account or ask him to set up an Amazon WISH list just to see what he would like . YOU don't have to buy it from there just for ideas.

wakeupandsmellthecoffee Sun 06-Oct-13 12:04:21

I would avoid vouchers after the last HMM fiasco.I think an Amazon voucher would be good .I would ask him to set up an Amazon WISH list for ideas..Linx is never not wanted.

wakeupandsmellthecoffee Sun 06-Oct-13 12:04:50

Don't know how that happened sorry .

WildThongsHeartString Sun 06-Oct-13 12:14:49

A surprise big hit for my teenaged nephews last year was those fingerless gloves with the mitten pullover. Rubbish description sorry but picture here

My boys got these last Christmas:

www.superdry.com/mens/hats/details/40046/basic-beanie

That and a Lynx set would come in on budget smile

Lynx is never not wanted

and with teenage boys, it is NEEDED grin

VoldemortsNipple Sun 06-Oct-13 14:45:18

I'd give him something like the cinema voucher rather than clothes vouchers. When money is tight, it's the social events which are the first to go. He would probably appreciate being able to go out with his mates and not have to worry about asking his mum for money.

enderwoman Sun 06-Oct-13 15:59:31

Yy to the vouchers. Not sure if you can get fast food vouchers?

I have a nearly 14 yo DS (who isn't a clothes lover)

(I've asked DS for ideas, so straight from the Horses Mouth so to speak...)

Pizza Express vouchers (can't remember where I've seen these possibly Sainsburys)
Game MicroSoft Points if he has X-Box (or PS3 or equivelant)

Cinema gift vouchers (Vue cinema + cash for drinks/ snacks)

Starbucks topped up card to spend

Primark do some nice youth clothes - if he's 14 an XS or S would fit him.
My DS doesn't do brands but TBH , if it's something plain or a T-Shirt , who knows the brand anyway?

Maybe a Hamper with Next or M&S naice boxers or trunks (for practical gift) and a load of sweets (for frivalous)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now