Good Australian Toys/Kids Websites?

(15 Posts)
whenwilltherebegoodnews Thu 03-Oct-13 19:36:40

Can anyone recommend good websites in Australia for toys etc? I have family in Oz and usually spend more on postage than the actual contents! Is the Australian Amazon site straightforward for ordering from the UK?

There is no Australian Amazon! I was surprised too! There is toys r us out there and other toy stores but I can't think if their names.

Longdistance Thu 03-Oct-13 19:45:03

Try Target, Big W and Kmart. They're all .com.au at the end when searching for.

Huffpot Thu 03-Oct-13 20:23:12

Uncle Pete's is another toy shop there too
I'm originally from Oz and its quite hard to order online - its still not widely done unlike the UK

juniperinNZ Fri 04-Oct-13 04:02:46

Try IQ Toys, we have one here in New Zealand and they have always been good for ordering online toys:
www.iqtoys.com.au/

The Book Depository does free worldwide delivery if you want just books.

Huffpot is right, online ordering is much, much less common over this side of the hemisphere - bit of a shock to the system when we emigrated a couple of years ago, being used to ordering most things online in the UK!

crabb Fri 04-Oct-13 05:44:42

Entropy is good for toys - high quality and lots of crafty stuff. Fishpond has toys and books.

Mosman Fri 04-Oct-13 13:31:26

It's getting better and John Lewis chargs a flat £25 however big the order

SavoyCabbage Fri 04-Oct-13 13:43:58

Mighty ape is good.
Toy paradise

SavoyCabbage Fri 04-Oct-13 13:45:36

The Book Depository adjusts its prices depending on where you are. Which will work in your favour as you are in the uk so it won't charge you the higher Australian price.

whenwilltherebegoodnews Fri 04-Oct-13 15:48:05

Thanks for all the suggestions, lots to look up. I'm surprised the Aussies aren't that into online shopping, I live in a city and still prefer to shop online!

I guess I need to weigh up the cost of postage vs Australian prices, my SIL can't believe how cheap things are here, especially clothes, she loves Primark grin

aroomofherown Sun 06-Oct-13 22:24:12

smiggle is great for stationery

ScarerAndFuck Sun 06-Oct-13 23:02:23

I just asked the same of my SIL, who emigrated about a year and a half ago.

She suggested Target and kmart.

I was hoping for an Australian on-line book store of some sort, either so I could send vouchers or choose books, but she didn't suggest one.

SavoyCabbage Mon 07-Oct-13 09:37:14

Well there's Dymocks which is the only non-bankrupt bookstore but books are so expensive here it's ridiculous. Ridiculous.

Books are sometimes cheaper in BigW which is like Asda without the food.

If you want to get them books you are better off getting them yourself.

If you want to get them vouchers you could get them Myer vouchers which is like debenhams.

A popular choice with the children I know (primary age) is Smiggle which does stationery. It does vouchers.

You can get clothes for next shipped free. Just click the Australian flag at the bottom of the site.

TheMoreItSnows Mon 07-Oct-13 09:55:58

We use this website which always does the job.

Freemilk Mon 07-Oct-13 12:28:03

My understanding is that Next hike up the prices of their stuff in order to offer free delivery but I havn't studied it that closely

I think Tesco will deliver for 10 pounds, could get fancy dress stuff for example, M and S is free delivery currently but only non outlet clothes, I'm not sure about bedding but I think they don't deliver toys, Book depository is cheap if you order in pounds. I think places like Zavvi will do DVDs and only charge 99p for postage (not sure if same for box set type stuff. All worth a thought.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now